Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cheap way to store a few TBs of data - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cheap way to store a few TBs of data

Comments

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

Infinity said: They're fake though?

Yeah, it seemed like a joke :P

• @Infinity said:
    They're fake though?

Nah. Just used ones. :)

Thanked by 1Infinity
  • mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@Infinity said:
    They're fake though?

@Nyr said:
    Yeah, it seemed like a joke :P

Not sure, a friend of mine ordered 2 and copied aprox 1,5 TB images to it.
    Random read of images showed every one. So it could be true. The ones I've looked at (and my friend bought) was marked with the HP logo. That part is obvious a fake. :)

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited March 2015

mikho said: Not sure, a friend of mine ordered 2 and copied aprox 1,5 TB images to it.

Random read of images showed every one. So it could be true

You and your friend are the kind of gullible incompetents thanks to which such scam ends up making a net profit for the sellers. It will be too late to open any disputes when finally he manages to pull his head out from his ass and test it properly. Have him run H2testw, this is how you test if the space is real, and no way it's 2TB flash for 11 USD.

• maylimayli Member

I think you can try Google Drive, or Amazon clouddrive. The later provides unlimited storage of $59.99 per year. You can try it freely for 3mo. Sounds good for me, but I store most my videos on Google Drive, just like this.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Those HP are fake, got 1 to test, it is 8GB really. I got refunded

Thanked by 1Janevski
  • earlearl Member

So I've uploaded about 10 GB of Photo's and Video's to Google+ I think I'm averaging about 1 GB uploaded per hour.. so to upload 1TB be roughly around 40 days!!

• maylimayli Member

@earl said:
    So I've uploaded about 10 GB of Photo's and Video's to Google+ I think I'm averaging about 1 GB uploaded per hour.. so to upload 1TB be roughly around 40 days!!

I can achieve 10MB/s upload speed in my lab, Google has limit on upload speed, but it's not as slow as yours.

• earlearl Member

@mayli said:
    I can achieve 10MB/s upload speed in my lab, Google has limit on upload speed, but it's not as slow as yours.

Well my upload speed is around 20mbit, I don't think I'm maxing it out.. not sure why it's slow..

rm_ said: You and your friend are the kind of gullible incompetents thanks to which such scam ends up making a net profit for the sellers

It's like buying a VPS with a "to good to be true" offer to test it out if it really is as bad as everyone claims. I've sent him a message to try the software are report the results. Let's see if he responds.

It's not that much of money to ruin me or my friend. In this case I never bought one myself, as tempting it was. I went for a 128gb usd pen-drive instead that I use for a multiboot ISO installer. I can use all of that space.

rm_ said: no way it's 2TB flash for 11 USD.

that specific pendrive that he bought was $13 and change on a 50% off sale.

mikho said: It's not that much of money to ruin me or my friend.

However you can't know what effect your vouching for them that "yes those are real" on a forum read by thousands of people will have, also with the Moderator status which some may view as lending additional credibility to your words.

• AliExpress sales aren't such. If you check the prices of most of the "for sale" items, most are sold for normal prices or even higher, and claiming up to 99% discounts. They claim crazy normal prices to be able to offer "99% off".

But you can find cool things there :)

Thanked by 1netomx

@rm_ said:
    However you can't know what effect your vouching for them that "yes those are real" on a forum read by thousands of people will have, also with the Moderator status which some may view as lending additional credibility to your words.

I never mentioned what store these things are bought from and there are litterly millions of stores that sell those things on that site so you are free to test or leave it be.
    It is like you hold all staff members here liable everytime someone buys a "pice of crap" VPS just because they read about it on this website?

I can only speak for myself as a person when I talk about stuff I buy, those opinions has nothing to do with my "work" here as a moderator and I've bought different kind of stuff from AliExpress and so far I've been satisfied with the products I've got. It is not the same level of quality that I would expect if I bought the product locally but in some cases I've paid less then 10% of the local price.

• Never ever use USB sticks without testing them with specialized tools like the one rm_ posted. Fooling the OS is just a matter of a custom firmware on the drive. Everything looks normal, but it's not. I had bought an 8GB one on Ebay and it was a 4GB one (got a refund).

Thanked by 1netomx
    edited March 2015
  • @rm_ said:
    Isn't that a referral link? In any case, a clean one is https://hubic.com/en/offers/

No. It's a tracked mail link.

• @earl said:

Check the chunk size and, you can only maximize the speed if you have really good peering with Google, e.g., ping<3ms...

I've seen a speed of >40MB to Google Drive with chunk size 50MB, in Vultr LA.

Thanked by 1earl
  • earlearl Member

@cnbeining said:
    I've seen a speed of >40MB to Google Drive with chunk size 50MB, in Vultr LA.

I just switched ISP for faster internet but the routing is horrible.. some local sites that I use to get 15ms now takes 65ms.. unfortunately with my old ISP icould only get 800k up now I got 20mbps but ping sucks.. guess you cant win.

• NomadNomad Member

This Hubic offer...
    Tempting but I wonder if we can trust them keeping the price same after say... 1 year, 2 years...

I mean it sounds really nice to have 10TB for only €5 per month.
    But what happens to all my data if they're to just change the policy?

There's no support either.
    Also, it seems the system doesn't automatically remove the VAT like it is claimed on their page.

Nomad said: it is claimed on their page.

Where it is claimed? On the forum they replied some time ago that they don't offer any VAT exemptions for hubiC, even if you're an EU business or not in the EU.

• Is the 10mbps limitation still there?

• NomadNomad Member

rm_ said: Where it is claimed? On the forum they replied some time ago that they don't offer any VAT exemptions for hubiC, even if you're an EU business or not in the EU.

Main page, footer

In accordance with the amended 2006/112/CE Directive, from 01/01/2015 prices including VAT may differ depending on the customer's country of residence. By default, all prices including VAT displayed on the website are inclusive of the UK VAT in force.

To me, that means if you're a non-eu citizen you don't get it.

tr1cky said: Is the 10mbps limitation still there?

No, but it's not consistent either. Currently I'm trying uploads from two different machines, like a 1gb file. I've seen better speeds with online.net where I directly downloaded a 1gb test file to Hubic via hubicfuse but...

The speeds were in between 5-85Mbits for my Online.net and Kimsufi servers.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

Nomad said: Tempting but I wonder if we can trust them keeping the price same after say... 1 year, 2 years...

I don't see why not, the general trends with 'cloud' storage providers appears to be either to offer increasing amounts of storage over time, or reduce prices; has any provider increased prices/reduced storage allowances in the last 18 months?

• Amazon Cloud Drive for less than $60/year.

edited March 2015

Nomad said: To me, that means if you're a non-eu citizen you don't get it.

This is just referring to the new rule of varying VAT per EU country, that "prices including VAT may differ" doesn't give any indication that there exists a way to pay "prices excluding VAT".

Nekki said: has any provider increased prices/reduced storage allowances in the last 18 months?

Not sure about 18 months, but in 2013:
    https://cloudstoragebuzz.com/crashplan/crashplan-price-increase/
    http://www.cloudbackupreviews.com/blog/news/crashplan-prices-jump-165-50.html

• NekkiNekki Veteran

rm_ said: Not sure about 18 months, but in 2013:

I knew there were some instances in the past, but the current trend seems to be lower prices and more storage.

• cassacassa Member

HubiC just got cheaper :-)
    https://hubic.com/en/offers/

How's the speed right now?