Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cheap way to store a few TBs of data - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cheap way to store a few TBs of data

Comments

• earlearl Member

@Nyr said:
    MuZo looks like I will maybe get a dedi after all, yeah. Didn't know LeaseWeb was still doing cheap offers after all, good option to consider.

What @barris mentioned the server auction on Hetzer is pretty cheap the specs mentioned currently going for € 24.37..

or same specs but 32 GB Ram for € 26.89

https://robot.your-server.de/order/market

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited March 2015

Baris said: You might consider the serverboerse of Hetzner.

That's actually my first option for this on a dedicated, they are very cheap. About hubiC... I can't login to my account registered when they launched, so already discarded.

@earl yeah, that's without VAT, he probably considered the VAT since I'm European :)

Thanked by 1KwiceroLTD
  • earlearl Member
    edited March 2015

@Nyr said:
    earl yeah, that's without VAT, he probably considered the VAT since I'm European :)

If you are in Spain it's 21 %

http://wiki.hetzner.de/index.php/Payment_FAQ/en#How_much_VAT_do_I_need_to_pay.3F

If you wait I think I have seen them go as low as 23 euro's..

Honestly.. I would just get a couple of the 2.5" external drives I think 2TB is around $100.. they are not so bulky compared to the 3.5"

@earl well, I can actually use billing outside of the EU, so that makes Hetzner offers even more attactive. I will probably go with them.

Thanked by 1earl
  • earlearl Member

@Nyr said:
    earl well, I can actually use billing outside of the EU, so that makes Hetzner offers even more attactive. I will probably go with them.

I actually purchased the 32 GB i7 from Hetzner.. But they wanted me to scan my passport making a point not to blur my date of birth, so I ended up cancelling it..

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited March 2015

Perhaps the Online.net "1115" 2x2TB special for 19.99/month would have been a good match (4TB in RAID0 or no RAID), backed up to Hubic (+9.99/month), so 30 EUR/mo for 4TB space and a top-notch dedi on top of it, also the Hubic will have 6TB free for various other uses, or for pushing out the less-frequently accessed or less valuable data. Guess this all is not an option for you if you have missed the 1115 deal.

Thanked by 1Nyr

@rm_ was a great deal but I purposely missed it. I would prefer to do RAID1 on 3TB drives for this.

• NomadNomad Member

UnionFS + All the unused space in your existing servers?

Thanked by 1Nyr

Nomad said: UnionFS + All the unused space in your existing servers?

Not interesting for me (redundancy, latency, etc.).

• concerto49concerto49 Member
    edited March 2015

KVM 2TB $28USD/month

• tommytommy Member

concerto49 said: KVM 2TB $28USD/month

• 1 CPU
    • 512MB RAM
    • 1TB RAID50 Disk Space
    • 8TB Traffic @ 1gbit Port
    • 1 IPv4 Address
    • 8 IPv6 Addresses

Nyr said: Between 2 and 3TB at the moment.

• @rds100 - Got any those 3TB Atom's left?

• @tommy said:

It's 2TB...

• tommytommy Member

concerto49 said: It's 2TB...

Okay :) you already edit your post.

• The cheapest for 1 TB storage as far as I know is mediafire ($2.5/month) and up to 100TB for $25/m. As long as you keep the data private, all of you movies are safe. They have been around for quite some times.

• sirmbhe said: As long as you keep the data private, all of you movies are safe

well no, they can scan through files so if torrents are the file of choice expect them to delete the account.

• @TarZZ92 said:

I have been using them for few years, and such things never happen to me. Well, maybe just my luck.

• @earl said:
    somewhat conflicting answers but it seems if you have an office 365 subscription one drive comes with unlimited storage or at least 10TB free? not sure what the file size limits are thought.

https://blog.onedrive.com/office-365-onedrive-unlimited-storage/

2GB :-( And max file number is 20000.

Why not consider Google Apps Unlimited? $10 * 5 users / month. Single file limit 5TB, but you cannot preview media files larger than 1TB...and the speed is awesome, as long as you grab a box at the same city with their datacenter(say, Vultr's LA). Not very cheap though.

Also, it is said that Hubic does NOT cap its speed for internal traffic...which means you can probably grab one of their machines and dump your data in it. The problem is, their server is in France, which can result in lower speed...

Thanked by 1earl
  • earlearl Member

@cnbeining

Google apps unlimited sounds interesting.. not sure what you mean by "$10 * 5 users / month" are you saying you need a minimal of 5 users @ $10/mo or is it $10/mo(unlimited) + $5(reg. app)/mo = $15/per user

• sirmbhe said: I have been using them for few years, and such things never happen to me. Well, maybe just my luck.

maybe u not stored over 1TB http://time.com/103222/pogoplugs-cloud-storage-is-unlimited-unless-you-use-too-much-of-it/

• @earl said:
    cnbeining

Google apps unlimited sounds interesting.. not sure what you mean by "$10 * 5 users / month" are you saying you need a minimal of 5 users @ $10/mo or is it $10/mo(unlimited) + $5(reg. app)/mo = $15/per user

$10 per user per month or $120 per year.

Thanked by 1earl
  • AutoSnipe said:

@rds100 - Got any those 3TB Atom's left?

Nope, and with the current dollar exchange rate i don't think i could offer them at good price.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • I can definitely recommend Google Apps for Work. I've seen people storing several TB there and I'm uploading a few TB myself right now, although it takes ages as my connection is crappy.

I didn't hit the TB limit yet, but some people in various forums said that just one account is already unlimited, even though the pricing page doesn't say so - no idea if it's true and if that's safe to do, I guess I'll test that today/tomorrow by uploading from a dedi.

As inofficial CLI apps exist, I've written a small bash script which recursively uploads all files to Google Drive and if they already exist, the checksums will be compared and the files only get reuploaded when necessary. (That's an additional goodie, the API gives you a MD5 checksum)

• @NeoXiD said:
    I can definitely recommend Google Apps for Work. I've seen people storing several TB there and I'm uploading a few TB myself right now, although it takes ages as my connection is crappy.

I didn't hit the TB limit yet, but some people in various forums said that just one account is already unlimited, even though the pricing page doesn't say so - no idea if it's true and if that's safe to do, I guess I'll test that today/tomorrow by uploading from a dedi.

As inofficial CLI apps exist, I've written a small bash script which recursively uploads all files to Google Drive and if they already exist, the checksums will be compared and the files only get reuploaded when necessary. (That's an additional goodie, the API gives you a MD5 checksum)

Google Apps for work have only 30GB storage per month per user($5/user/month). Its Google Apps for work unlimited($10/user/month) which have more storage.

• @earl said:
    cnbeining

I meant minimal of 5 users @ $10/mo.

https://www.google.com/work/apps/business/pricing.html

Thanked by 1earl
  • NeoXiDNeoXiD Member
    edited March 2015

@TheKiller said:
    Google Apps for work have only 30GB storage per month per user($5/user/month). Its Google Apps for work unlimited($10/user/month) which have more storage.

That's what I meant, sorry for being unclear. The rumor is that one Google Apps for Work Unlimited (10$/mo) user provides already unlimited/more than 1TB of storage, even though the sales page says you need 5 users (= 50$/mo) for unlimited storage.

But even if that's not true, it's a really good price and Google most likely doesn't care as long as they get your data. Also Drive is one of their core services, used by many schools and companies - it wouldn't just go down/offline over night.

Thanked by 2TheKiller earl
  • earlearl Member

Ah ok.. That's what I thought you said..

• MuZoMuZo Member

@sirmbhe said:
    The cheapest for 1 TB storage as far as I know is mediafire ($2.5/month) and up to 100TB for $25/m.

Not true, click on learn more on the buisness plan: 1tb for business is 25$/month and 100tb are 1400$/month.

• Microsoft says 1TB for 69.99$ per year that includes Office Apps too http://products.office.com/en-us/office-365-personal

• bersybersy Member
    edited March 2015

TransIP VPS is not so cheap as other ones, but price tag for each additional 2TB storage (ZFS RAID-Z to my knowledge) is €10.