Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

iPhone 5 Live Coverage - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

iPhone 5 Live Coverage

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@24khost Exactly, so you got the real innovation. Are you mad about not having to pay for it?

• @jarland said: The new maps are great.

The new maps miss things like streetview etc, they are rubbish compared to Google Maps.

edited September 2012

@MrLabradoodle Opinion really. I don't use street view. I'm usually driving when I use the maps.

• @jarland said: @MrLabradoodle Opinion really. I don't use street view. I'm usually driving when I use the maps.

Google have spent years perfecting Google Maps, you can't make anything near as good that quick.

• @24khost said: iphone to iphone 3g = assisted GPS,

Whereas A-GPS is nice and good, Apple wasn't the first to introduce it. The Nokia N95 was.

@MrLabradoodle The day after beta 1 release I drove from West Virginia to Texas using Apple's new maps app. Flawless trip, no issues with the app. How else should I define good other than doing its job?

• @jarland you are missing the point i know i get it for free but why would somebody just upgrade from a 4s to the 5, when none of the electronics you bought for your 4s or the accessories you bought won't work with it?

What innovation makes me want to spend more money on this phone? the others had stuff that wasn't available in the others.

edited September 2012

@24khost Who said anyone with the 4s had to upgrade? Unless you're itching to spend money it sounds like you should be happy.

• Nano-SIM: iPhone 5 is not compatible with existing micro-SIM cards.
    1-ounce lighter .. really impressive.
    4-inch (diagonal) Retina display 1136-by-640 resolution 326 ppi

• have you not been following the conversation?

rds100 said

I don't think the battery door is very necessary. Apple releases a new iPhone every year and people usually drop their older iPhone and get the newest model, so the expected life of the average iPhone is about one year - the battery should usually live longer than this.

• Apple only design the iPhone to last a year, so you are pretty much forced to buy the new one.

edited September 2012

@24khost Are you having issues with your battery? I've had my 4 for two years and I have no issues. Sometimes a runaway app causes a drain, true with any device of any type that has a lot of 3rd party developers.

@MrLabradoodle Defying logic to validate an opinion? iPhones last as long as they last, maybe one year, maybe six. Just like every other mobile device.

• @jarland said: @MrLabradoodle Defying logic to validate an opinion? iPhones last as long as they last, maybe one year, maybe six. Just like every other mobile device.

Then why do iPhones magically get slower.

edited September 2012

@MrLabradoodle Why does a device with yearly OS upgrades and increased expectations of hardware from app developers get slower? Like every computer ever made? No idea. No clue why an 8 year old computer can't play the newest games with the highest graphic requirements either. My phone runs fine, what's wrong with yours?

• Fanboys,

Thanked by 2DanielM jshinkle
  • no i just got the 4s, but i have owned cell phones since like 1998 and they have always had batteries that are replaceable. This to me seems like a big bend over and take it job by apple!

I know right? Every time someone mentions Apple those darn Android fan boys just come out the wood work trying to explain why we should join their cult. Oh well, they're just blinded by marketing and buying what people tell them to buy so they'll feel "cool."

Come on, the above paragraph deserves at least a 6/10.

edited September 2012

@24khost said: no i just got the 4s, but i have owned cell phones since like 1998 and they have always had batteries that are replaceable. This to me seems like a big bend over and take it job by apple!

I replace my phone every 2 years. So I've had the 3G and the 4. I've not had to replace a battery. I have had to reset the firmware because updates acted a little screwy and made the battery life worse. That always fixed it for me. Just me, obviously, but if you like the device enough to buy it and your battery is working, and on top of that you're getting the biggest innovations for no extra cost, I think you just like to complain. If you know anything about anything and you didn't know going in that the battery wasn't replaceable, you wouldn't have bought it if that was a deal breaker for you.

• Lucky you, not all of us are so lucky. I have had an android phone, battery was replaceable! Now i have and iphone which belive me i like it but it sure does miss the boat on a lot of things that I think it should have. external memory, such as sd card would be great for backing things up without having to sync my phone.

edited September 2012

It's not that hard.
    http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Installing-iPhone-4-Battery/3141/1

I backup to icloud. No cable necessary.

Android fanboy: I like to do everything myself!
    iPhone requires a screwdriver to replace battery
    Android fanboy: I have to do it myself!?

• ummm changing batter requires sauder, saudering iron, a screw driver and a desaudering braid and a stead hand.

Android phone pop off back take battery out replace battery replace back turn on phone.

• Sorry that is for the touch i guess.

• But i am guessing the new iphone5 will have similar changing of the batter as the touch.

edited September 2012

@24khost said: But i am guessing the new iphone5 will have similar changing of the batter as the touch.

Based on what? It's no where near as thin as even the previous generation touch. If the touch 4th gen was radically different than the iPhone 4 and 4S, because it wasn't nearly as thin, logic would suggest that the same will occur here.

• Sums up iFanboys.

• Thanked by 1DanielM
    edited September 2012

My daddy can beat up your daddy.

• Fanboyism without proper reasoning sucks either way, no matter the preference is.

Thanked by 1ElliotJ
  • @liam said: Enjoy your iPhone 5's ;-)

I posted that earlier but Joel deleted my post :(