Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Finally Dediserve launching SG Location - Page 6
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Finally Dediserve launching SG Location

Comments

• LeeLee Veteran

Nekki said: it's your assertion that people shouldn't care which specific DC's you use

Shouldn't or have no need to depending on their requirement.

For their mainstream customers they are more likely happy to know that the location is Germany and disinterested in the granularity beyond that point.

I find that on places like LET the actual location and the dd result fair higher in terms of overall requirement than real world performance which is where I again find the more mainstream client is focussed on. Crazy world.

Thanked by 1dediserve
  • MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran
    edited March 2015

I'm taking Dediserve's side here. I've been their customer for quite a few months and they never hided anything at all. Simply contact them to know more details, it doesn't mean that they need to state every DC's they colocate with in their website.

Thanked by 1dediserve
  • solibrasolibra Member
    edited March 2015

@dediserv
    I added a Private LAN interface to a server i want to use as database backend. Trying to assign an IP address fails with "IP Address can't be used, because you have reached your IP address limit". You don't expect me to pay for a LAN IP address, do you? ;) Your pricing page says "Free 1Gbps Private LAN".

• @solibra - have you contacted support? They can sort that right out for you

• (or pm me your ID and I can do it for you)

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited March 2015

Lee said: For their mainstream customers they are more likely happy to know that the location is Germany and disinterested in the granularity beyond that point.

Unless you have server(s) in germany already (which is very likely even for some mainstream customers) and you want for some reason another one in different german DC. Or opposite, you're looking for a decent provider in a certain DC.
    I think that knowing where exactly is your server hosted isn't so irrelevant thing.

• LeeLee Veteran

There will be exceptions of course and yes having a service in Germany already as an example is where you would want to know the exact detail.

Still a whole lot of piss and wind over nothing.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited March 2015

Lee said: Still a whole lot of piss and wind over nothing.

I agree, but from a different point of a view :)
    Those questions are usually very clear, simple and require simple answer.
    Struggling back and forth to get simple direct answer what DCs you use may be slightly annoying for potential customers.
    And finally there's really nothing to hide about.

• LeeLee Veteran

Spirit said: And finally there's really nothing to hide about.

Not sure they are hiding anything, send them a message or open a ticket and they will tell you. Many providers prefer to discuss elements of their service that way, it's really not that unusual.

Just don't see why it's such a big issue for this provider when you consider the most common way of referring to a location is simply by country or state with no mention of the actual DC.

Take a look in the offers section, few being as specific and less even asking that question.

Thanked by 1dediserve
  • @Spirit tbh, this entire train is a bit unfair. Anyone who has ever asked us a simple, direct question about anything has had a simple, direct answer. Anyone who has ever contacted sales requiring data, has been furnished with full disclosure and datasheets / copies of certifications. Broadcasting the exact physical location of our customers data has more privacy implications than dealing with it in this (industry norm) manner.

Thanked by 1sin
  • WilliamWilliam Member
    edited March 2015

I still want to see your "Tier IV" DC in Austria.... no one in Austria is Tier IV certified (and only the BRZ fulfills all specifications, InterXion is only Tier III, Nessus and Danube are not certified iirc), and neither is Anexia as company... any info?

• @William said:
    I still want to see your "Tier IV" DC in Austria.... no one in Austria is Tier IV certified (and only the BRZ fulfills all specifications, InterXion is only Tier III, Nessus and Danube are not certified iirc), and neither is Anexia as company... any info?

I'll get more data on that for you

• @William said:
    InterXion is only Tier III

Having double checked you are absolutely correct. Thanks for the heads up. We'll have the note on the location page of our site updated to clarify. Let me know if you'd like a trial :)

• No problem, just wondered if i missed a new DC or something :)

Thanked by 1dediserve
  • All updated.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider
    edited March 2015

dediserve said: London, City is Telecity, Harbour Exchange. Amsterdam is Serverius.

Thanks for the answer.

dediserve said: Broadcasting the exact physical location of our customers data has more privacy implications than dealing with it in this (industry norm) manner.

Why is that?

EDIT: And I'm a bit dubious about the "industry norm" claim - I've seen plenty of hosts do otherwise.

• @joepie91 said:
    Why is that?

Customers prefer it that way. Lots of even datacentre providers will not list the complete physical address of their facility on their websites. it's simply the norm and adds a 'small' layer of perceived security for the end user.

@dediserve said:
    Customers prefer it that way. Lots of even datacentre providers will not list the complete physical address of their facility on their websites. it's simply the norm and adds a 'small' layer of perceived security for the end user.

I think "perceived" is the keyword there. If a malicious individual wants to know where the data is, they could simply sign up for a service, do a traceroute, figure out the facility, and Google their way to an address. It doesn't add any actual security or privacy.

"Public" datacenters that do not list a physical address, or at the very least neighbourhood, are also rather rare. And again, I'm not convinced about this being any kind of "norm". It's a decision that you and a number of providers make, just like some others decide to publish the full address.

And that's not even addressing the non-location aspects of what facility a provider is in that may be relevant to a customer - backup power, physical security, etc.

• As I said earlier, this business is all about perception.

We provide details on tiers, certifications and outline our datacentre basic standards on our site, which assures most customers that we have chosen well.

We then stand over those choices with our '1000%' SLA.

Of course there will always be the 1% for whom actual location matters, just like the same 1% who 'care' what RAID levels we run, or how our internal networking is architected or what version of Xen we run.

Self provisioned IAAS is more and more making those 'concerns' not relevant to the service consumer.

• In Lieu of customers and prospects having to ask, our team have compiled full details here
    https://manage.dediserve.com/knowledgebase/category/66/cloud-locations/

• rokokrokok Member
    edited March 2015

Wow so details, no other provider provide such details - just WOW

Thanked by 1dediserve
  • We've always been fully open about such things, if anyone notices any details we are missing, do let us know. We will shortly be making copies (pdf) of all the certifications / standards certs and documents available in the downloads area for registered customers also.

Thanked by 1Lee
  • dediserve said: In Lieu of customers and prospects having to ask, our team have compiled full details here https://manage.dediserve.com/knowledgebase/category/66/cloud-locations/

The Vienna stats list the same as the German DC, probably copied wrongly.

Thanked by 1dediserve

dediserve said: In Lieu of customers and prospects having to ask, our team have compiled full details here https://manage.dediserve.com/knowledgebase/category/66/cloud-locations/

Great to see :)

Thanked by 1dediserve
    edited March 2015

dediserve said: if anyone notices any details we are missing, do let us know.

Ahh, upon looking through it, I've noticed one thing missing in some cases: the facility name/company. It's included for Vienna and Singapore, but not for Buffalo and London (and possibly others).

• notgodnotgod Member
    edited March 2015

slow to asian

• tommytommy Member

notgod said: slow to asian

Which country ? :D Asia is not a country.

• @joepie91 said:
    Ahh, upon looking through it, I've noticed one thing missing in some cases: the facility name/company. It's included for Vienna and [Singapore(https://manage.dediserve.com/knowledgebase/article/280/c1-sin1---singapore-sg/), but not for Buffalo and London (and possibly others).

It's on most just inconsistent ( in the blurb on some, the address on others)
    We'll list it separately to avoid confusion

• We've just launched a LookingGlass network for all live locations this morning http://lg.dediserve.com

• dediserve said:
    We've just launched a LookingGlass network for all live locations this morning http://lg.dediserve.com

looks nice, waiting Hong kong & Jakarta :p

Thanked by 1dediserve