Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Virtkick Ruined? - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Virtkick Ruined?

124»

Comments

• The last few posts have been the most intellectually stimulating (for lack of a better term) that I've read on LET for quite some time. Thank you guys for this good discussion!

Thanked by 1zafouhar
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

joepie91 said: Unfortunately, it's fairly trivial for an incompetent developer to get paid. Demand is high, supply is relatively low. This isn't really comparable to doctors, architects and lawyers - in particular because all of those fields require certification to some degree, and software development doesn't.

I was going to say that last night when I read the wall, but i thought.. I suspect I will just be hit with another wall, and chose not too :)

• GamerTech24GamerTech24 Member
    edited January 2017

-

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider
    edited January 2017

bsdguy said: Those are largely perspective games. Sure, one can differentiate as much as one wants but that doesn't bring us forward.

No, they're not "perspective games". They're pointing out that you're conflating two concepts - and that is still the case, and the rest of your post still has very little to do with FOSS.

See, the problem is that I would otherwise consider this an interesting discussion to have, and that we would probably see eye-to-eye on much of it... but your insistence on throwing this under the "FOSS" banner is what is putting me off, and makes it impossible for me to really discuss it.

It just has nothing inherently to do with FOSS. And unless you can acknowledge that, there's no further discussion for me to have here, because it's being discussed in entirely the wrong frame of reference.

Thanked by 1Host4Go
  • The game they play - such defining the arena - is that there are two factors in foss: a) free as in beer and b) open source.

FACT is that more and more frequently foss projects look or money donations (maybe in the form of indigogo or similar), so obviously money is a concern and related to software quality.
    Kindly note that I do not say money=quality. What I say is that !money ~ !quality, which is not the same.

FACT is that virtually all top foss projects have payed lead developers.

That's remarkable insofar as it touches the term "free". Is it really free and open and community driven, if large corporations enter the game and pay the lead developers? I doubt it.

I do not accept your differentiation because its arbitrary and itself rooted in foss (~arbitrary and hardly correct/true).

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider