Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Virtkick Ruined? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Virtkick Ruined?

Comments

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2015

patrick7 said: Thats a good strategy to make money: first collect donations, then charge for the product itself.

It is a standard open source product model, to sell an open source version of the software and provide enterprise support / hosting.

The only issue here is that virtkick.io would be operating illegally if they write code that interfaces with virtkick code but is not released as free software, since they accepted pull requests licensed under AGPL (illegally isn't really correct term, since it would be civil lawsuit and not criminal, that the people who wrote the pull requests can sue under).

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Makes sense, they probably intended to do this all along and decided not to mention it so they could get the funding together to do the switch after the bait, the open source version will probably fall by the wayside now.

• patrick7patrick7 Member, LIR

In this case they should split the webpage. One for Opensource, one for SaaS. And they should tell us what "core" means.

And other than that, 15% is way too much, more expensive than any other panels.

patrick7 said: In this case they should split the webpage. One for Opensource, one for SaaS. And they should tell us what "core" means.

And other than that, 15% is way too much, more expensive than any other panels.

Indeed, just consider this a promise undelivered and a future failure.

Thanked by 2netomx Infinity
  • xDragonZxDragonZ Member
    edited March 2015

@perennate said:
    The only issue here is that virtkick.io would be operating illegally if they write code that interfaces with virtkick code but is not released as free software, since they accepted pull requests licensed under AGPL (illegally isn't really correct term, since it would be civil lawsuit and not criminal, that the people who wrote the pull requests can sue under).

But they did mentioned this:

By submitting a Pull Request, you disavow any rights or claims to any changes submitted to the VirtKick project and assign the copyright of those changes to Damian Nowak.

If you cannot or do not want to reassign those rights (your employment contract for your employer may not allow this), you should not submit a PR. Open an issue and someone else can do the work.

This is a legal way of saying "If you submit a PR to us, that code becomes ours".

Edit: maybe I interpret your message wrongly.

xDragonZ said: But they did mentioned this:

Well shit, they're providing a huge disincentive for anyone to get involved since author can just create new closed source version using the open source modifications that other people submit. Sad to see free software projects go this way, but oh well, there's better systems out there (OpenStack, CloudStack, OVZ Web Panel, virsh, etc.).

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • @RackNode said:
    Checkout https://spacepanel.io. It looks similar to VirtKick.

Hope that one doesn't end up like Virtkick. Gonna download it before the code screws up like this one xD

• @Licensecart said:
    I do like the sound of the new one, the free one is ok but you have to remember the developers spend a lot of time coding, etc they deserve some sort of wage :)

Many websites don't even have Kickstarters and are open source with a fine community. They got a Kickstarter donations of thousands of dollars. We do not make it open source so the community can put their code in it too? They did promise it would be open source and the Alpha was, but I guess money always has to get to the good things. :/

We will support the open source core as a tool for hackers and sysadmins and will focus on the SaaS Virtkick to make it best for new and existing VPS providers.

In other words they're not going to continue developing the original product, but instead make SaaS solution.

Thanked by 1AnthonySmith
  • patrick7patrick7 Member, LIR

Just had a look on archive.org. They promoted a self hosted product, with no NSA. They wrote something about privacy. And they promised it's free for everyone, even business.

• Well, that's interesting (unless I am misinterpreting), they:

• crowd-sourced funding
    • crowd-sourced coding
    • then close sourced the end result

Wow

• blackblack Member

@geekalot said:
    Well, that's interesting (unless I am misinterpreting), they:

• crowd-sourced funding
    • crowd-sourced coding
    • then close sourced the end result

Wow

That is pretty fucked up.

• @BOXCWebsites said:
    Hope that one doesn't end up like Virtkick. Gonna download it before the code screws up like this one xD

Just booted a Debian VM. Everything seems to be working.

• Hi guys,

I understand - and focusing on SaaS was a tough decision. The open source core means all the virtualization back-end and the front-end panel. It can be used by devs, software houses, wannabe VPS providers, designers etc. It's going be open source forever and it's constantly being updated - just check the github.

We didn't get enough money from Indiegogo - we actually only got less than $4k in support (the $18k you see being funding from the Techstars accelerator) which didn't let us provide an open-source billing as stated. The IGG backers are listed on our website, are receiving the perks and can either get a great deal for Virtkick or get their money back. We play fair.

The $4k wasn't enough for us to sustain a 4-person full time team. We had to choose - either we abandon Virtkick or do some crappy work after hours or go for it, go for SaaS and devote our lives for it. And we took the risk. I and Rush (CTO, co-founder) took massive loans and moved to the US to take part in the Techstars training program. And it's still risky, we don't know what future holds.

As for the 15%, we've got 7 customers currently being onboarded in the private beta next week and around 10 more waiting for a second round. Without any bullshit marketing - they came to us. Small guys, some have 1, some 5, some 100 customers and some 2000+. US, UK, France, Italy but also Oman, Macedonia, New Zealand and Australia.

Your feedback is great and I take it with great humility. If you'd like, send me a PM or e-mail me at [email protected].

I just don't believe that, it is just spin imo, credibility is now 0, I might be wrong I have no way of proving any different but I think this was the plan all along.

To price yourself higher than vmware and every other competitor is just arrogant, you have literally shunned the community that supported you.

• @Nowaker said:

You mention that "wannabe VPS providers" are allowed to use the open source code to run their own panel, when is a company considered a wannabe company? You should really be more specific about this.

• No one supported them, thats the point. If the community had supported them, they would've raised more than $4K -- nothing can get done for $4K.

You guys really thought you would get someone to devote 4-man team to creating a free VPS control panel for you with no expenses covered or profit for them?

ItsChrisG said: You guys really thought you would get someone to devote 4-man team to creating a free VPS control panel for you with no expenses covered or profit for them?

That is a fair point however what is available now is really no different to pre funding.

• @DennisD A wannabe company can first start the open source Virtkick and find out if they like the interface and approach - start up some VMs, without any commitment. They could then move to the SaaS, not paying a dime before they pay anything for Virtkick. And if you don't do any business - it stays as it is, no sudden monthly costs.

Thanked by 1GamerTech24
    edited March 2015

Nowaker said: not paying a dime before they pay anything for Virtkick

uh, good point

(Edit: comment above was sarcasm btw /edit)

I think free software projects where the initiators go out of their way to try to involve more developers (rather than simply pushing code) succeed more often to form developer community. Anyway it does still seem like interesting project, and great that it will (hopefully) stay FOSS, best of luck.

Nowaker said: They could then move to the SaaS

or enterprise grade products with full commercial support at a lower cost.

• @ItsChrisG said:
    No one supported them, thats the point. If the community had supported them, they would've raised more than $4K -- nothing can get done for $4K.

You guys really thought you would get someone to devote 4-man team to creating a free VPS control panel for you with no expenses covered or profit for them?

I think what people may be having a problem with is that the the stated goal (that was utilized to procure contributions) was not how it turned out. At least, that is how it appears.

No one is questioning how much effort it takes to develop real systems; but if you are going to solicit funds for a particular purpose:

• Be true to that purpose
    • Be uber conservative in your calculations on what you need to make your goal
    • Be proactively communicative if you have to change course

I think that is where some of the backlash may be coming from.

• MeanServersMeanServers Member, Host Rep

I can see both sides of the coin. I think if they keep exactly what they promised during the crowd surfing free then no problem. It might be too early to tell how this is going to play out but right now, it doesn't look good. Hopefully we will have a better understanding of what to expect next from this project in the next few days when we get some answers to these questions. VirtKick looked quite promising but if they backtrack, they will poison their goodwill.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

Nowaker said: The $4k wasn't enough for us to sustain a 4-person full time team. We had to choose - either we abandon Virtkick or do some crappy work

Indiegogo has the option to refund backers if you don't get enough funds OR continue with the project anyway with the advertised conditions.

You advertised the later and now are backtracking, so be honest about that. You guys had the option to choose between $57k or nothing, but you preferred to get the "free" money knowing you weren't going to deliver.

AnthonySmith said: or enterprise grade products with full commercial support at a lower cost.

And provided by a stable company, not a startup which could be smoke tomorrow if doesn't become profitable fast enough.

Nyr said: And provided by a stable company, not a startup which could be smoke tomorrow if doesn't become profitable fast enough.

Yep I can just imagine the pitch on Dragons Den, "So you plan to provide a product that is not unique and expect companies to give you 15% of their revenue despite there being bigger, better and cheaper long term established options available?"...... I'm out.

Thanked by 2iKeyZ Infinity

@geekalot to be fair, AFAIK they are refunding backers who don't like the new goals.

• @perennate said:
    geekalot to be fair, AFAIK they are refunding backers who don't like the new goals.

OK, if that is the case, that would be more reasonable.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • It's how @perennate says (thanks), we're refunding our backers if they don't like it. They also get a good deal for the SaaS Virtkick if they want so.

@geekalot, you're 100% true, and that's how it should've been done. Calculations were good - we just didn't get what our goals were. So instead of ditching the project, we decided to change the course. And it works for many of our early customers - Virtkick is unique in that it offers simplicity and great user experience.

Thanked by 1yomero
  • Mahfuz_SS_EHLMahfuz_SS_EHL Host Rep, Veteran

I at last signed up with Virtualizor. I knew that these guys will betray !!! You shouldn't promise about what you can't deliver.

Thanked by 1yomero
  • FritzFritz Veteran

I won't blame them. They need money for living.

Providing 100% open source without any income is insane (since they were expecting to raise $57K to make VirtKick 100% open source with support).

Good luck @Nowaker

Thanked by 1yomero