Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nexim Web hosting sending out emails using GVH client database
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Nexim Web hosting sending out emails using GVH client database

LeeLee Veteran
edited February 2015 in Providers
This discussion was created from comments split from: GreenValueHost (GVH) VPS clients being sold to Xfuse Solutions.

I have created a new thread for this discussion, whilst it does relate to GVH it is not connected to the sale of GVH to Xfuse. It is a worthy discussion on it's own.

The situation appears to be that member @Ksubedi who once worked for GVH has taken or otherwise obtained the GVH client database, presumably from WHMCS. He has then sent out sales messages to all those clients for his own brand Nexim Web Hosting.

This appears to have been verified as qt least one person who only used a particular email address for GVH has received this "spam" mail.

Still not sure but lets discuss here.

Comments

• linuxthefishlinuxthefish Member
    edited February 2015

Did anyone else get an email from Nexim web hosting to the email account they used on GVH SolusVM?

• linuxthefish said: Did anyone else get an email from Nexim web hosting to the email account they used on GVH SolusVM?

YES. I was puzzling over where that came from.

• LeeLee Veteran

Could it be someone who is using an old spill from the GVH database?

Thanked by 1Host4Go
  • @ksubedi What's going on pal?

Thanked by 2DeletedUser ksubedi
  • @Nekki said:
    ksubedi What's going on pal?

We outsourced email marketing for the new site launch. Sorry if people who were not supposed to get it got it, please unsubscribe (the link should be at the bottom of the email).

• ksubedi said: We outsourced email marketing for the new site launch. Sorry if people who were not supposed to get it got it, please unsubscribe (the link should be at the bottom of the email).

No, hang on - how do you have my email address?

Thanked by 3netomx ATHK NanoG6
  • wychwych Member
    edited February 2015

@ksubedi said:
    We outsourced email marketing for the new site launch. Sorry if people who were not supposed to get it got it, please unsubscribe (the link should be at the bottom of the email).

So bollock them and ask how they sourced the list... or is that the "story".

Numerous recipients have received that mailing who have:

A) Opted out,

B) Asked for details to be removed from DB.

Thanked by 2Nekki netomx
  • @Nekki
    I do not, not sure how the agency we used for seo and marketing got it.

@wych said:
    B) Asked for details to be removed from DB.

I did ask them what the campaign would be targeted at, the response was their lists collected from various sources.

• ksubedi said: I did ask them what the campaign would be targeted at, the response was their lists collected from various sources.

Is that can spam friendly? You may be liable for those mails sir.

Thanked by 2wych vimalware
  • Either share who this "agency" is or you did it

• @MCHPhil said:

My intentions were not to spam. I do apologize to everyone that were not supposed to get the emails.

• MCHPhilMCHPhil Member
    edited February 2015

@ksubedi said:
    My intentions were not to spam. I do apologize to everyone that were not supposed to get the emails.

Unfortunately that is not the way the can spam act works. You should take a read at http://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/business-center/guidance/can-spam-act-compliance-guide-business

You could be on the hook at the tune of $16,000 per message sent. This isn't something to play with. I'd name the entity, it won't help with liability though.

• I'd like to know the name of the agency too, as they are clearly using dodgy data sources. Please share.

• wychwych Member
    edited February 2015

ksubedi said: I do not, not sure how the agency we used for seo and marketing got it.

So find out...

got it

Probably by methods your not sharing for a reason.

@ahfbweb said:
    Either share who this "agency" is or you did it

+1.

ksubedi said: various sources

Such as?

Nice way of spamming everyone, and unless its Double Opt-In its shady as hell!

ksubedi said: apologize

Doesn't mean anything...

@Nekki said:
    I'd like to know the name of the agency too, as they are clearly using dodgy data sources. Please share.

+1, if they did it share it and then I'll ask them rather than you @ksubedi.

Thanked by 1Nekki
  • I am not going to name the agency for their sake and for my businesses sake. Definitely will not be taking that route again though.

• MattKCMattKC Member
    edited February 2015

@ksubedi said:
    I am not going to name the agency for their sake and for my businesses sake. Definitely will not be taking that route again though.

Protecting spammers....odd stance to take. Your name is on it, doesn't matter you "asked someone else" to send it.

• ksubedi said: I am not going to name the agency for their sake and for my businesses sake. Definitely will not be taking that route again though.

What do you mean 'for their sake'? If they're obtaining dodgy data, they need to be held accountable. Someone has my persona info, and I would like to know how, please. PM me if you don't want to post the company name on a public forum.

Thanked by 2Dylan namhuy
  • I got the spam too:

Everyone, please hit the unsubscribe link on the bottom, and pick the second option on the 'why did you unsubscribe' page. This notifies MailChimp and will get their account banned from mailing.

Thanked by 2MannDude Mark_R
  • @ksubedi is an ex-GVH employee whose taken a copy of details before leaving.

• @ksubedi said:
    I am not going to name the agency for their sake and for my businesses sake. Definitely will not be taking that route again though.

Fuck you then. You support shady spam agencies and make yourself guilty, also. Disgusting.

Thanked by 2MannDude Rob92
  • wychwych Member
    edited February 2015

@ksubedi said:

Why? If you fuck up you own upto it.

Guess the abuse notices start flying and even more problems come in then.

• kcaj said: @ksubedi is an ex-GVH employee whose taken a copy of details before leaving.

Evidence? It's an obvious conclusion to draw (and one I admittedly considered myself) but accusations should be backed up.

• J1021J1021 Member
    edited February 2015

@Nekki said:

EDIT: Shouldn't have said that. I've heard it from someone who is usually in the loop, sorry I can't say anything further than that.

EDIT: Just been passed this http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/629837/#Comment_629837

• Forward the messages to [email protected] also.

• @Nekki said:
    but accusations should be backed up.

like accusing an "agency" for ones own misdeeds

• Screenshot, for good measure.

Thanked by 4J1021 netomx Pwner Rob92
  • I thought it was common knowledge @ksubedi worked for GVH in the past.

• emgemg Veteran

@ksubedi said:

>

I do not, not sure how the agency we used for seo and marketing got it.

>

I did ask them what the campaign would be targeted at, the response was their lists collected from various sources.

@ksubedi should take responsibility for NeximWeb's business practices, and the first step is to name the company that did the email marketing for the new site launch. Blaming a surrogate who uses questionable and probably illegal email tactics is a shady business practice.

• @Nekki said:
    I thought it was common knowledge ksubedi worked for GVH in the past.

But does he still is the golden question...