Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you disable "AdBlock" (or similar) on LET/LEB/WHT/VPSB? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Do you disable "AdBlock" (or similar) on LET/LEB/WHT/VPSB?

Comments

• kcaj said: I don't use any Ad Blocker at all. I think it's imoral, somebody somewhere is providing a service for me and should be recouped/rewarded for that.

Also alarmed at the amout of people here who need an Ad Blocker to ignore something they don't like/disagree with. Are we 5?

If the consumer, us, doesn't like something in a service, why should we empower that kind of behavior to continue? It's the free economy, free enterprise, social darwinism, or whatever you want to call it.

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2015

kcaj said: I don't use any Ad Blocker at all. I think it's imoral, somebody somewhere is providing a service for me and should be recouped/rewarded for that.

I respect that, everyone has their own view of morality.

Personally I feel that it is the responsibility of the company to make sure that they are making profits; the ability to block advertisements and other unwanted content is in some ways inherent to the open protocols that make up the Internet and the world wide web, I don't think attacking that ability is particularly constructive.

Also, in a web where free services and Internet advertisements are the norm, businesses offering equivalent paid services often lose because users find it more convenient. This of course doesn't affect the morality, and you could say the same about these companies as what I said above about advertising-based ones, but it's still a sad fact about the web.

kcaj said: Also alarmed at the amout of people here who need an Ad Blocker to ignore something they don't like/disagree with. Are we 5?

I don't understand what you are trying to get at here. If everyone just ignored things that they don't like instead of sending death threats, starting wars, and launching terrorist attacks, then the world would be a better place, if that requires us to all be 5 then I'm all for it. Why is it childish to ignore advertisements when you don't agree with the content of a website or the way that the advertisement is used?

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • I only disable ad-block on LET out of respect for the people who pay for their ads to be displayed and help support the site, that and the CPVS ad makes me chuckle.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Just because an HTML document advertises various resources, I'm under no obligation to retrieve them all.

• DylanDylan Member
    edited February 2015

If you're only going to read one of those articles, it should be the Ars Technica one. This isn't some theoretical argument about morality. It's about very real detrimental effects to sites you like.

My argument is simple: blocking ads can be devastating to the sites you love. I am not making an argument that blocking ads is a form of stealing, or is immoral, or unethical, or makes someone the son of the devil. It can result in people losing their jobs, it can result in less content on any given site, and it definitely can affect the quality of content. It can also put sites into a real advertising death spin.

I think in some ways the Internet and its vast anonymity feeds into a culture where many people do not think about the people, the families, the careers that go into producing a website. People talk about how annoying advertisments are, but I'll tell you what: it's a lot more annoying and frustrating to have to cut staff and cut benefits because a huge portion of readers block ads. Yet I've seen that happen at dozens of great sites over the last few years, Ars included.

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2015

Dylan said: If you're only going to read one of those articles, it should be the Ars Technica one. This isn't some theoretical argument about morality. It's about very real detrimental effects to sites you like.

If you think that ad blockers are bad, then you should read an argument in favor of ad blocking, and if you think that ad blockers are good, then you should read an argument against. Keeping an open mind and listening to solid arguments from either side is fundamental to an open, democratic society.

In the end society will never reach a consensus on every argument, simply as a result of the diversity of humankind, something which we should cherish. But I quoted a few articles that respond to the Ars statement, one supports it and a couple others don't, regardless of whether you agree with them they are still interesting to read. I won't say anything more in this post since I have nothing to add to those articles!

• varwwwvarwww Member
    edited February 2015

Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy shit we don't need.

Thanked by 1black
  • I've used adblock for so long that when I'm on my phone and see an ad I forget they truly exist and feel so weird.

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • DylanDylan Member
    edited February 2015

perennate said: Keeping an open mind and listening to solid arguments from either side is fundamental to an open, democratic society.

This is not some highbrow theoretical debate. Ad-funded sites are hurt by ad blocking. That's an irrefutable fact. Maybe you're okay with that, and that's your prerogative. But if you think it doesn't hurt them when it measurably does, you're just plain wrong.

Now if you want to talk about whether the ad-funded model is fundamentally a good or bad thing -- okay, there's a good conversation to have! Just don't fool yourself into thinking that merely talking about it changes the reality we're in, for better or worse, right now.

• Dylan said: This is not some highbrow theoretical debate. Ad-funded sites are hurt by ad blocking. That's an irrefutable fact. Maybe you're okay with that, and that's your prerogative. But if you think it doesn't hurt them when it measurably does, you're just plain wrong.

That's not our responsibility to consider, it is the responsibility of the website (if they need money) to get money. We should in no way consider that the sites may "lose" money, this is not a charity, just free market.

If these sites need to ask for us to download advertisements (wasting our own bandwidth and processing power), maybe they need to choose a better business model. This whole thing about blocking data that you don't want to see as being unethical is stupid.

• i clicked on yes when i should have clicked on no.... no ads for me.

• Never seen any ads on any of the sites ;>

• No, because I don't want to load any asset, that is not helpful at all. I am blocking all your avatars as well, because I just don't need them.

Often I am on a mobile link with slow speed and limited traffic, but also for speed this is very nice.

• TinyTunnel_Tom said:I like to rage at the SHITTY GODDAMN CVPS ADVERT WITH THE HOMO COUGAR GUY WHICH BOILS MY PISS.

• arstechnica said: If you read a site and care about its well being, then you should not block ads (or you subscribe to sites like Ars that offer ads-free versions of the site). If a site has advertising you don't agree with, don't go there. I think it is far better to vote with page views than to show up and consume resources without giving anything in return.

Then they might as well block adblock users, which they mention IN THE SAME ARTICLE is not what they intend.

Furthermore, it is impossible for many users to make exceptions, due to AdAway (phone) and Noscript (PC), or to pay $50/year PER WEBSITE.

I don't see why this would boil anyone's piss. Targeting the gay audience (= no kids, more money to spend) is more and more becoming a thing, so better get used to it.

• RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran

I don't have an adblocker, but I really don't mind a few ads. :)

• At home I have a network level block on all ads, on my work machines I have ads everywhere.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • You aren't saving any bandwidth nor will latency be reduced – the entire HTML document is still downloaded, AdBlocker just parses the page after the fact.

@ricardo said:
    I don't block. The ads here are relevant to me and as a web developer I can appreciate that it's a form of income that makes websites viable to run.

If I were to block it'd be merely to save bandwidth & latency. I figure the larger outfits probably know more about me than I do already.

• TrafficTraffic Member
    edited February 2015

Adblock enabled everywhere. Exceptions only to prevent anti-adblocks (bypassing adblock blocks) but never allowing ads, only making sites think I'm seeing ads, unless the anti-adblock is really well coded (seldom) and I really want to visit it, in which case I create a site-wide exception.

@Bitmap said:
    You aren't saving any bandwidth nor will latency be reduced – the entire HTML document is still downloaded, AdBlocker just parses the page after the fact.

There are many different implementations. Most don't actually let the blocked requests go through, or if they do, don't parse them.
    There is difference.

• No, i only disable adblock selectively where absolutely required (Flash websites for example are likely to be blocked).

• @William said:
    No, i only disable adblock selectively where absolutely required (Flash websites for example are likely to be blocked).

I personally only enable plugins on click (in addition to adblock) to limit my exposure to plugin exploits.

• enable adblock extension ublock for all sites by default.
    I dont like ADs

• @wych said: At home I have a network level block on all ads, on my work machines I have ads everywhere.

Yup. When your job involves marketing/advertising, you kinda need to see all the ads.. unfortunately.

Fingers crossed people keep clicking ads.. pays at least 1/3rd of my paycheque.

• @mikeyur said:
    Fingers crossed people keep clicking ads.. pays at least 1/3rd of my paycheque.

+1.

Yep, no ads is great till you need to see them for any reason for your marketing job.

• Traffic said: I personally only enable plugins on click (in addition to adblock) to limit my exposure to plugin exploits.

I have no Java installed and disable Flash now most of the time, all i required it for was Youtube anyway which is now HTML5 entirely.

• TrafficTraffic Member
    edited February 2015

@William said:

It's the way to go. Too many Java/Flash/Acrobat... 0-day vulnerabilities.

• nexusrainnexusrain Member
    edited February 2015

I never used any AdBlocker because free sites have to finance theirself in any way. And if there are not even ads - how to finance (excluding by donations)?! What do you like more: taking a look at some ads (if they're not completely overloaded on the site) or paying for a lot of sites which don't offer anything to buy, before you can enter the site? Well, I prefer the first option.

• @trewq said:
    I leave adbock on. I've seen all the ads many times before, they are almost always the same. I don't miss out on anything by not seeing them.

Where do you know from you're not missing anything, if you don't know which ad would be there?

• Bitmap said: You aren't saving any bandwidth nor will latency be reduced – the entire HTML document is still downloaded, AdBlocker just parses the page after the fact.

I wouldn't be saving bandwidth & latency by not performing extra HTTP requests? Think it through til the end.