Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you disable "AdBlock" (or similar) on LET/LEB/WHT/VPSB?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Do you disable "AdBlock" (or similar) on LET/LEB/WHT/VPSB?

ItsChrisGItsChrisG Member
edited February 2015 in General

Im curious to know who and how many people actually disable the ad blocking on LET/LEB/WHT?

I, for one, do indeed disable so that all the ads are visible to me.
I do this for a number of reasons, but primarily to evaluate and research the competitions methods, offerings, etc.

Ad Blocking Disabling
  1. Do you disable Ad Blocking on Hosting Sites?198 votes
    1. Yes
      20.71%
    2. No
      54.55%
    3. I'm a monkey, feed me banana
      24.75%

Comments

• gestiondbigestiondbi Member, Patron Provider

I'm a monkey too! ;)

I hate ads. Rarely disable adblock.

• Oh, and if you vote, can you explain your reasoning? (especially if its a No vote)

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited February 2015

Just too many ads, no reason to disable it on these sites.

• @ItsChrisG said:
    Im curious to know who and how many people actually disable the ad blocking on LET/LEB/WHT?

I, for one, do indeed disable so that all the ads are visible to me.
    I do this for a number of reasons, but primarily to evaluate and research the competitions methods, offerings, etc.

It actually didn't work for me by default, so I had to explicitly block them. However, this is only for my main computer. I'd just rather not have colorful, ugly squares everywhere when I'm browsing the requests forums, general, etc. I keep adblock off on all my other devices (which I do use LET when I'm not working)

• Mainly because ive seen many of them and their methods before, after I even heard about Adblock so I understand why they're required and such but in honesty I'd rather do without, hence having it always enabled

• LeeLee Veteran

I do not block ads, I generally like to see who is offering what, a lot of people seem to have issues with them but I can ignore them when needed.

Thanked by 2netomx webcraft
  • SilvengaSilvenga Member
    edited February 2015

The ads on VPSB and LET/LEB don't interest me - added their out-of-place placement and the fact that they're images/gifs - provide no reason to disable adblock in my mind.

I'm probably a power user of adblock (I go as far as creating custom block rules for sites).

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

I leave adbock on. I've seen all the ads many times before, they are almost always the same. I don't miss out on anything by not seeing them.

• I don't block them. They give site owners the same amount whether they're viewed or not, so.

• Reason: I am a somewhat a highly developed monkey and I still like bananas...

• I don't block. The ads here are relevant to me and as a web developer I can appreciate that it's a form of income that makes websites viable to run.

If I were to block it'd be merely to save bandwidth & latency. I figure the larger outfits probably know more about me than I do already.

• I dont disable ads on hosting sites because there could be a potential good deal between them. Only annoying/agressive/backdoored ads on sites i frequently visit i will block manually using wireshark + windows HOSTS file.

• No, because don't like the ads on LET. Nothing useful for me on the ads - so no point to see this.

• I actually disable adblock on every site by default and only enable adblock when the ads on that site are really annoying. For example, too many ads that make the page really laggy, or popups that force you to interact with alerts.

Thanked by 1inklight
  • edited February 2015

I like to rage at the SHITTY GODDAMN CVPS ADVERT WITH THE < beep > COUGAR GUY WHICH BOILS MY PISS.

But then I think @MeanServers advert is quite good and cool. Usually a good deal is there

Thanked by 2im_jmz nexusrain
  • mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

I use the mobile view, no ads there.

Thanked by 2ATHK nexusrain
  • perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2015

No.

especially if its a No vote

That doesn't make much sense, if you use an ad blocker that's enabled by default then disabling it on hosting websites requires an action, while not disabling it is simply inaction, so you don't really need a reason not to disable it. I don't want to see ads in general, so no reason there would be exception for hosting website (especially on vpsboard where they intentionally change their ad subdomain when the old one gets on the blacklist; do they really think that people who don't want to see their ads will give them revenue by clicking on them?).

• Why should I? It depends, if they're really in my way I enable AdBlock, and otherwise I don't click on it :P

• I don't have adblock.

• i disable it on all sites except cashback sites such as topcashback

• @TinyTunnel_Tom said:
    I like to rage at the SHITTY GODDAMN CVPS ADVERT WITH THE HOMO COUGAR GUY WHICH BOILS MY PISS.

But then I think MeanServers advert is quite good and cool. Usually a good deal is there

Why does a 'homo' cougar guy boil your piss? Are you living in a cave?

• I used to enable ads on sites I like, then I was hit by ransomware (= "pay 100EUR to decrypt your files"), which used ad servers and an exploit to spread. Now I make no exceptions and also embed no ads or third party scripts on my websites.

• I just notice I forgot install adblocker but I think i will stay without it atm :)

• ItsChrisGItsChrisG Member
    edited February 2015

@perennate said:
    No.

That doesn't make much sense, if you use an ad blocker that's enabled by default then disabling it on hosting websites requires an action, while not disabling it is simply inaction, so you don't really need a reason not to disable it. I don't want to see ads in general, so no reason there would be exception for hosting website (especially on vpsboard where they intentionally change their ad subdomain when the old one gets on the blacklist; do they really think that people who don't want to see their ads will give them revenue by clicking on them?).

Because the ads here and on similar boards/sites, directly pertain to the industry in which you participate or profit from or whatever. You are here in this forum related to this specific industry for a reason -- I would think you would be interested overall to get a good overview of what people (even advertisers) are doing within that community/industry you are a part of... Seeing the ads provides information you can learn from in different ways and for different end goals.

• Yes. Don't know why.

• Some of these ads could be used as textbook examples of what not to do.

Thanked by 1jemaltz
  • perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2015

ItsChrisG said: Because the ads here and on similar boards/sites, directly pertain to the industry in which you participate or profit from or whatever. You are here in this forum related to this specific industry for a reason -- I would think you would be interested overall to get a good overview of what people (even advertisers) are doing within that community/industry you are a part of... Seeing the ads provides information you can learn from in different ways and for different end goals.

Sure, that's a good reason to disable ad blocker on some websites. But not disabling an ad blocker that's enabled by default doesn't need a reason since it's inaction, and that's how my ad blocker works (thus the confusion over why you were especially interested in No vote; note that I was referring to that interest in my earlier comment, I was not saying it doesn't make sense to ever disable ad blocker). I didn't know people disabled by default and enabled on annoying websites, that is interesting.

Anyway, IMO looking at advertisements is a terrible way to get a good overview of activity in the community, and a slightly less but still pretty terrible way for the industry. And I find advertisements annoying and distracting, so generally don't disable ad block.

I'm not sure why you said "you" (presumably referring to me) in your post though, I'm far more interested in developments in peer to peer networks, concurrency programming models, and some other CS/software areas. In fact to me the hosting industry is pretty boring. Someone releases yet another proprietary billing panel that pales in comparison to WHMCS? Yeah I don't care :)

• I don't use any Ad Blocker at all. I think it's imoral, somebody somewhere is providing a service for me and should be recouped/rewarded for that.

Also alarmed at the amout of people here who need an Ad Blocker to ignore something they don't like/disagree with. Are we 5?

Thanked by 2nexusrain webcraft
  • I disable AdBlock on all sites I frequently use and want to support, including LET. The only exception is if a site has ads that are so garish or prominent they make the site hard to read or use (or they play sound without consent -- ugh).

• I use Adblock and NoScript and don't disable them unless there is content I need to view. I detest commercialization. I donate to the open source projects I use and enjoy, and I'd do the same for websites I frequent if they had the option. The net, in my opinion, should be used for free and open exchange of information. Internet is the New Television, with distractions and flashy ads and autoplaying clips and shitty clickbait to get you to BUY BUY BUY.