Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How much 100mb optical fiber costs in your country? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How much 100mb optical fiber costs in your country?

13»

Comments

• $49.99/month

• 1000 dolars per month in indonesia. CMIIW

• i'm Australian so having brought up a touchy subject i'm gonna just go cry in the corner.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

There are differences between DC quality and regular fibre at home here (mostly FTTB and similar).
    First, the consumer grade "1 Gbps fiber" is not really fiber, just to the router and from there 4 pair copper wires along the stairs or outside to your balcony (in my case). It uses PPPoE which adds extra complications and only reaches some 650 mbps. It is extremely cheap, I pay some 10-11 Eur without VAT and it includes a 3G "line" with some 2-3 MB max download but very bad upload, 384 kbps up to 5 GB after which is supposed to go lower, but it did not happen for me.
    The DC grade stuff is different, however, due to NetCity town hall sponsored project, you can get it at home with minimal costs, depending on provider and who is actually doing the works, you can get 1 Gbps for 75 Eur without VAT, clear channel locally, but only 100 mbps guaranteed external access probably cheap blend. That is the lowest price I could find and includes the work to bring the fiber for free, but it is not a big company, so I do not know how serious it is.
    In a DC, premium BW (L3) clear channel can go as low as 500 Eur per Gbps, you can get Cogent 5 times as cheap, but these prices vary and are the lowest I could find.
    You do not need any approval, the infrastructure in Bucharest is already in place in most places, and even if not, the companies will lay out cables in the trees if not possible otherwise, it is areal jungle in places, that is why the town hall introduced the netcity project some 10 years ago.

• @TarZZ92 said:

Agreed as Virgin seem more responsive than BT nowadays although I don't know how good Sky's fiber is to be honest

• SaahibSaahib Host Rep, Veteran

W> @Makenai said:

So cheap that they shifted all people from 50mbps plans to 100mbps and people with 100mbps to 250mbps

Now 100mbps is 15Eur/m and 250mbps is 22Eur/m after taxes

There are also cheaper providers, but this is for the biggest one.

1Gbps with TV subscription and phone line is 72Eur/m

All of the connections are FTTD

I want to shift at your place.. :P

• @Saahib said:
    W> Makenai said:
    I want to shift at your place.. :P

By the time you arrive we will most likely be a part of USSRv2

• letboxletbox Member, Patron Provider
    edited January 2015

@Rami said:
    In my country(Egypt) 100Mbit optical fiber (for Data center) costs 1.2 million Egyptian pound/Year (~$170000) ISPs are thieves here

How much it cost in your country?

did even exist! in egypt

• RamiRami Member
    edited January 2015

@key900 said:
    did even exist! in egypt

Yes it's exist for business only

Given enough money, anything can exist anywhere, someone can start an ISP in the desert with fiber and a satellite link if needed or as @MarkTurner said, polling together 3g modems...
    just imagine the routing and reassembling the packets over those modems to make them appear as a unitary link.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • For home 100Mbit we're paying.. ~$50/month for Cable/Fiber only.

• emgemg Veteran

I live in the USA. Fiber is not always available, but there are alternatives such as DSL and Cable. Some rural areas have no wired broadband access and are limited to dialup, cellular, or slow, expensive satellite connections. Prices vary considerably from one location to another within the USA. Prices are much lower in areas where there is competition.

In the USA, communications providers often neglect their residential and business customer needs, charging high prices for poor quality service. Sometimes municipalities try to meet demand by building their own high quality service (usually fiber), but the communications providers fight them in many ways - by getting laws passed to make it illegal, by fighting in the courts with lawsuits, and more. When a municipality does manage to get fiber going (on its own or with Google Fiber, for example), the established communications providers quickly install competing fiber. That brings down prices and encourages competition, but I suspect the real goal is to demonstrate that municipal fiber is a money-losing endeavor - a tool for communications providers to fight other municipalities that are thinking about installing their own fiber.

It is a shame that communications providers have effective monopolies on Internet service throughout much of the USA. With true competition, service quality would be much higher, and at much lower prices. It would do wonders for our economy, and providers would make huge profits anyway.

To answer your specific question, here are some examples of prices:

AT&T DSL at home - Discounted price: $20 per month. Regular price: $40 per month.
    5 Mbits/sec download, 375 kbits/sec upload, 150 Gbyte data cap per month. The data cap was imposed in April 2014 with no change in price, and I cancelled the service a few months later.

Time Warner Cable at home - Discounted price: $40 per month. Regular price: (I think it is $50 per month).
    May 2014: 15 Mbits/sec download, 1.5 Mbits/sec upload, no data cap.
    October 2014: 50 Mbits/sec download, 5 Mbits/sec upload, no data cap, no extra fee.
    Comcast is trying to buy Time Warner Cable. Both companies are hated by their customers.

A friend's Verizon FIOS fiber to his home. He runs a business server in his home, and pays the business rate which includes a dedicated IPv4 address - Price: $110 per month.
    50 Mbits/sec download and upload.

The price for 75 Mbits/sec upload and download would be $135 per month.
    The price for 150 Mbits/sec upload and download would be $210 per month.

• Cpt_BenCpt_Ben Member
    edited January 2015

~20 usd per month the 1 gbit/100 mbit down/upload speed at Digi, Hungary. It's not optic though.

• UrDNUrDN Member
    edited January 2015

We have some residential ISPs providing 1Gbit/s via fiber optic or twisted pair for $8/mo in Kiev.

For IP transit, 100Mbit/s should be around $200/mo.

• mov3mov3 Member
    edited January 2015

I am using 500Mbit/s around $35/m in Hong Kong

• thehraythehray Member
    edited January 2015

Broadband is not stable , fiber internet is beyond the reach, we can only dream now . 2Mbps for $20 with just 5GB-8GB cap. Only a very few fiber optic ISP and they are in limited places and they too have around 40GB cap.

• noisycatcatnoisycatcat Member
    edited January 2015

Here in Singapore:
    100Mbps costs like $29
    200Mbps - $39
    1Gbps - $49
    (monthly prices)

thehray said: Country : India.

India is a lost cause as long as the monopolies continue to run the government. Even DCs have serious issues with the traffic.

• Maounique said: India is a lost cause as long as the monopolies continue to run the government. Even DCs have serious issues with the traffic.

I think their government is not stupid and will see that breaking the monopolies and encouraging competition will lead to more economic growth. So it's not a lost cause, just will take some more years to become reasonable / competitive market.

edited January 2015

@rds100 said:

Yeah, since the "as long as" part :) But it depends how much those monopolies pay the government party. I am not sure the Obama administration really wants the religious wars and he does not like Netanyahu and his bunch of war criminals either, but he has no choice, without the cults and AIPAC support no party or candidate can win any election so the wars and support for israel will go on no matter the international or US law as long as they can still borrow or print money.