Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How much 100mb optical fiber costs in your country? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How much 100mb optical fiber costs in your country?

Comments

• You can get 100 mbit/s over cable or via VDSL2 Vectoring in many western countries for <50EUR/mo. . Cable only has 2.5-10 mbit/s upload and no guaranteed speed.

• what?

ADSL1/2/+ contention rate is usually 1:24-52 - Max upload on VDSL2+ Vectored is 25Mbit

Cable/Docsis 2/3 usually 1:10-15 - Max upload rate on Docsis 3 is ~50Mbit depending on available channels

FTTH/FTTB usually 1:5-10 - Max upload rate on FTTH is technically unlimited (currently 50x100GE per fiber), FTTB with Cat6e/Cat7 max. 10GE (40GE is possible but only on Cat8 up to 50m and no hardware exists for that outside labs yet)

• My home VDSL2 100/10 connection is now 19,90€/mo(with VAT) with dynamic IP.
    And my one client's office 100/100 fiber connection with 5 static IPs 160€/mo(without VAT).

• @William said:
    30k for a single wave is extremely overpriced, especially if its inside the same city.

I don't know the exact prices, it must include the IP blocks, the phone bill and such and its more than one single provider, as we use BT, Virgin Media as main. I do believe we have dedicated links between dc's and they're atleast 50 miles apart so I can imagine that being expensive, various other things adding up but as I don't work for billing im unsure what it includes

• Just for comparsion - A 10GE wave (actually a nm channel which can be run from 10Mbit to 100GE depending on equipment) from London to Manchester (no idea how far that is but i'm sure 100km+) costs around 1200EUR.

A wave from London (Telehouse * or InterXion) to New York (111th 8th, Google DC) costs around 4000EUR/Month - And that are easily, what? 10k km? Something around that.

Darkfiber in most European Metropolitan cities to DCs in the same city/metro region (Madrid, Amsterdam, Frankfurt, Vienna etc...) costs between 800 (Vienna) over 1500EUR (Frankfurt) to 5000EUR (Madrid) - This is dark, so from single channel 1310nm over up to 16 channel CWDM to 50 channel DWDM with each wave up to 100GE is possible.

• 100Mbps dedicated Internet cost around 250€ here in Bulgaria.

• VikingLayerVikingLayer Member
    edited January 2015

Bahnhof dedicated 100/100 Mbit/s goes for 1495 SEK/mo in my city and for a 100/100 Mbit/s home connection, it's 299 SEK/mo.

• I'm paying $89/mth for 100/20 here in New Zealand.

Cheapest symmetrical I'm aware of is $129/mth for 200/200.

• @VikingLayer - I notice that the Stadsnats are beginning to offer fibre rather than VLAN services around Stockholm which will be the big game changer. Right now we are limited by the heavily oversold VLAN infrastructure to 100Mps on most, but if these next few months change than you'll see GE more common especially in Stockholm/Uppsala. We've been upgrading our infrastructure there tremendously over the past 3 months so prepare for this change so I expect Bahnhof etc will be doing the same.

• @MarkTurner

Gigabit is definitely becoming more and more common in stadsnät, especially in the bigger cities. I'm getting connected to IP-Only's Stadsnät later this year which offers 1/1 Gigabit, cheapest being 709 SEK ($85). I'm currently with Com Hem (500/50 Mbit/s Coax) which isn't that bad either :)

• For me, it doesn't even exist. The highest you can get is 30 Mbits, for $75 a month. Thank you Comcast.

• 120mbit/10mbit no cap 40 euro / month.

• @VikingLayer - not sure which city you are in but IPOnly is not bad. ComHem is a mess, SKI keep highlighting their crappy service/uptime.

• @Rami - that assumes you can get security clearance to get the leased line to start with. We spent about 6 months to get it, though some of my colleagues have started bonding multiple Etistalat 3G modems together to get 50Mbps (its very variable).

• @MarkTurner said:
    VikingLayer - not sure which city you are in but IPOnly is not bad. ComHem is a mess, SKI keep highlighting their crappy service/uptime.

I'm in Uppsala. I agree, IP-Only is awesome :)

Com Hem used to be HORRIBLE in the past, a lot of downtime, congestion and so on. Now the last 6 months or so it's been working perfectly for me, except some planned maintenance. I know that a lot of people have had even worse experiences with them though, so it's probably a bit of a hit or miss.

• @MarkTurner said:
    Rami - that assumes you can get security clearance to get the leased line to start with. We spent about 6 months to get it, though some of my colleagues have started bonding multiple Etistalat 3G modems together to get 50Mbps (its very variable).

Where? Egypt has no such restrictions. ECC and NOOR gladly lay and provide you with 1000Mbit/s if you are ready to pay 30$/Mbit on at least 500Mbit commit.

• MarkTurnerMarkTurner Member
    edited January 2015

@William - For any leased lines you have to apply for security clearance with NTRA and you either need to use an Egyptian or Egyptian company to make the application. EEC and Noor just resell Telecom Egypt's fixed infrastructure. Next year 2016, you will find more competition on that market as TE loses its monopoly and gains a mobile license and the three other mobile operators are allowed to run fixed networks.

• @VikingLayer - IPOnly has a good network, there was another network investing heavily into Uppsala but I can't remember the name right now. They were doing some GE trials

• @MarkTurner said:
    William - For any leased lines you have to apply for security clearance with NTRA and you either need to use an Egyptian or Egyptian company to make the application. ECC and Noor just resell Telecom Egypt's fixed infrastructure. Next year 2016, you will find more competition on that market as TE loses its monopoly and gains a mobile license and the three other mobile operators are allowed to run fixed networks.

You're right there is restrictions in Egypt on all communications and it's very hard to get things done here ;)

@MarkTurner said:

though some of my colleagues have started bonding multiple Etistalat 3G modems together to get 50Mbps (its very variable).

You mean Etisalat Egypt ?! Where are you from? ;)

• @Rami - I am based in London but was out in Egypt a few years back when we opened an office there. I did a lot of the licensing work and interconnect discussions with Telecom Egypt; and exactly there is security clearance required for everything. Especially post-revolution. BTW be safe tomorrow, I heard our office is closed there tomorrow.

You mean Etisalat Egypt ?! Where are you from? ;)

Yes, Etisalat Egypt.

• @MarkTurner I just noticed that you know alot about the restrictions in Egypt ;)

Thanks I'll and yes I think that tomorrow may be rough day

• ZweiTigerZweiTiger Member
    edited January 2015

http://digi.hu/ajanlat/internet/lan

1000mbit/100mbit 15 eur/mo in Hungary ( i use it too)

Not think its dedicated. But i could always reach the maximum speed..

• 120/10Mbps 55€/month for personal use with a dynamic IP.

If you want business (non shared) symmetrical fiber access, pricing starts 10-20€ for 1/1Mbps + installation setup from 1000-5000€. (Serbia)

• TinyTunnel_Tom said: But where you live thats normal. Goto Leeds/London will be less :P

or just avoid BT.. NTL (Virgin media business) offer some good deals

• bay area, california
    $100/month for FTTH
    1gbit up/down unlimited traffic
    99.999% uptime

• South Korea, 100M/100Mbps shared business internet for ₩25.000 ($23,2) monthly.
    Dedicated speed with Static IP starts at ₩85.000 ($78,88) monthly.

• @MarkTurner said:
    Rami - I am based in London but was out in Egypt a few years back when we opened an office there. I did a lot of the licensing work and interconnect discussions with Telecom Egypt; and exactly there is security clearance required for everything. Especially post-revolution. BTW be safe tomorrow, I heard our office is closed there tomorrow.

What's happening tomorrow?

• jbarrjbarr Member
    edited January 2015

Symetric fiber to my house at 60 up/60 down for $40/mo or 240 up/240 down for $95/mo.

• 120/10 $80 comcast

• hwthwt Member

I got my 100/10mbps line for S$40 in Singapore.
    Commercial grade starts from S$300 for 10Mbps (shared), S$1500 for a 10Mbps dedicated line.