Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OnePlus One Users? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OnePlus One Users?

Comments

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

I've got a OnePlus One, and for the price it's amazing. In terms of battery life and many others, including the bigger screen which is quite useful. I used to be a Nexus 5 owner too - and it's definately an improvement over it.

@jbiloh said:
    Has CM indicated on their forum yet when CM12 will be considered stable? I know the nightly releases are coming out almost daily so that's good to see progress but I have to make sure my phone works reliably.

They said they'd release the full version within 3 months of Google releasing the source. That would make it around February - so not long.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • nexmark said: The Nexus 5 has a sh*t ton of LTE/HSPA Bands

And this is the exact reason why I don't have one. It doesn't support 4G here. And no country wide 1800mhz support yet.

• MeanServersMeanServers Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2015

@sonic said:
    Anyone has global invite, really want to grab 1.

Ditto. =D

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

Infinity said: I've got a OnePlus One, and for the price it's amazing. In terms of battery life and many others, including the bigger screen which is quite useful. I used to be a Nexus 5 owner too - and it's definately an improvement over it.

Glad to hear it. I'm excited to get mine. It can't come fast enough!

Thanked by 1netomx
  • VPNshVPNsh Member, Host Rep

Slightly off-topic, but compared to phones such as the Nexus 4, what benefits do real-world users (so not highly resource intensive games etc.) get from such a device?

I consider myself an average user, with messaging, calls and some browsing here and there alongside a couple of other apps that are used from time-to-time and tend to get a full day of use out of my Nexus 4. I don't particularly want a larger screen, and if I want a longer battery life, I'll buy an external charger so that I can sit my phone in a bag on charge whilst out and about.

For somebody who gets a full day of use out of a slightly outdated phone, and doesn't need a huge screen sitting in their pocket, is there any reason to upgrade? In my opinion the Nexus 4 performs perfectly well and I'd very much doubt users of more recent devices see any actual difference in their devices. You always see people comparing how smooth the transition is when swiping through pages of apps - but if it's not actually affecting the apps when you're in them, does that really matter?

Meh, not 100% sure but it seems very much a case of everybody wanting to get newer devices that actually don't really need to be as high spec (and therefore inevitably high price) as they are. What next, IBM Watson sat in your pocket, just 'cause?

Thanked by 1mikho
  • I've bought my OnePlus One last Sunday and I've received it Tuesday morning, it have replaced my Note 2...so far so good, no problems and very nice phone. Next step...unlocking bootloader, flash twrp + root and use a custom kernel...

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@liamwithers said:
    Slightly off-topic, but compared to phones such as the Nexus 4, what benefits do real-world users (so not highly resource intensive games etc.) get from such a device?

I consider myself an average user, with messaging, calls and some browsing here and there alongside a couple of other apps that are used from time-to-time and tend to get a full day of use out of my Nexus 4. I don't particularly want a larger screen, and if I want a longer battery life, I'll buy an external charger so that I can sit my phone in a bag on charge whilst out and about.

For somebody who gets a full day of use out of a slightly outdated phone, and doesn't need a huge screen sitting in their pocket, is there any reason to upgrade? In my opinion the Nexus 4 performs perfectly well and I'd very much doubt users of more recent devices see any actual difference in their devices. You always see people comparing how smooth the transition is when swiping through pages of apps - but if it's not actually affecting the apps when you're in them, does that really matter?

Meh, not 100% sure but it seems very much a case of everybody wanting to get newer devices that actually don't really need to be as high spec (and therefore inevitably high price) as they are. What next, IBM Watson sat in your pocket, just 'cause?

battery

• agoldenbergagoldenberg Member, Host Rep

@liamwithers said:

Battery, best camera on an android device IMO. And cyanogen mod. Software with love and care put into it daily.

• @liamwithers if you are happy with the Nexus 4's battery, screen size and storage space, you probably don't need to upgrade to the OnePlus One. Once you use a larger screen though it's difficult to go back...

The Nexus 4 is actually visually smoother than the the OnePlus One, which is a bit more "jerky". Hopefully a future update will improve this though.

The Nexus 4 is also on Lollipop already, which is one advantage you have over the OnePlus.

@netomx @agoldenberg, if I'm wanting more battery life, as mentioned in my post, I'll just buy an external adapter for $15 rather than another phone for a couple of hundred dollars.

@agoldenberg, I use Cyanogen mode on my Nexus 4, so I already feel the benefits of this. Camera-wise, I guess I could do with something a little better in low-light situations, and front-facing flash would be good too (not sure if the OnePlus One addresses this?). Other than that, the camera feels fine for normal shots.

@colm, thanks for this, I definitely felt the issue of storage space on my 8GB Nexus 4 when backups were enabled. Deleting the backup feature I had setup left me with enough space to play with, and adding another Nexus 4 in recently (so have two at the moment) has allowed me to almost split my apps across both devices, meaning space is fairly comfortable - however I can understand for anybody needing some storage, 8GB can be a struggle.

Is it actually visually smoother? That surprises me considering the difference in hardware. I'm sure the OnePlus One will at least be on par once the relevant upgrades are rolled out. Maybe Nexus being a Google product means that they appear to run smoother than other phones anyway, as they know exactly how to make it seem like it's running well (oops, here comes my conspiracy theorist side!)?

I'm yet to upgrade either of my Nexus 4's to Lollipop, but feel fairly happy with them on Kit Kat at the moment. Is the OnePlus due an upgrade to Lollipop soon?

@liamwithers well the camera does perform better than any other camera I've used on android however there is no front facing flash.

And while extended batteries are cheap they're also a pain in the ass to carry around and keep charged.

Love my oneplus one. Coming from an iPhone 6.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @liamwithers yes the Nexus 4 (with stock ROM) is more "buttery" compared to OnePlus One. There are custom OnePlus ROMs that are supposed to fix this.

Overall Cyanogen seems less refined when compared to Nexus stock but of course comes with some great features. If you are using Cyanogen already you probably won't notice much difference.

The OnePlus camera doesn't do particularly well in low light, but is certainly better than the Nexus 4.

Thanked by 1VPNsh

@agoldenberg carrying extended batteries doesn't seem that much of a pain, unless you're literally travelling in just a pair of jeans. They'd fit in most jacket pockets even, no?

Odd to think that there's no front facing flash - seems to be one of the more prominent issues of the Nexus 4. Glad to hear that it shoots better in low light though @colm.

• liamwithers said: front-facing flash would be good too

If you are looking for a front facing flash, I would recommend something like the HTC Desire Eye, which has 13MP front and rear cameras with flash on each.

• The OPO camera is better in low light than my N5, but that's not saying much. Pictures are still pretty bad.

liamwithers said: Is it actually visually smoother?

I find it as smooth/smoother than my old Nexus 5 with stock & custom ROMs.

The rumor mill has a Lollipop upgrade in February sometime.

My OPO shipped! Woot.

Looking at some web reviews of the iPhone 6 Plus camera vs. the OPO and it's astounding just how good the iPhone camera really is.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @jbiloh said:
    My OPO shipped! Woot.

Looking at some web reviews of the iPhone 6 Plus camera vs. the OPO and it's astounding just how good the iPhone camera really is.

Congrats. :)

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

I'll be honest the Camera isn't one of the strong points of the OPO, the iPhone software is well developed in terms of the camera. The physical sensors are fairly similar but the software and I guess controller chips are not as well developed.

For my use of the phone I don't really care, though.

For a point and shoot type use the camera in the OPO will be fine I sense (as is the camera in the N5). But nothing on a phone comes close to the type of images you can capture using a true, high end camera. I've got a decent Canon Powershot with a good lens and it takes amazing pictures despite being a bit bulky.

• I'm an iPhone 6 user, but quite a few people in our support office have the OnePlus One, and I've heard nothing but positive about it. If I were an Android person, it'd definitely be my first choice. Enjoy it!

First come first served invite. Expires in 24 hrs https://account.oneplus.net/invite/claim/GLUC-ZYTT-IDEK-GWKN

My OPO just got here today, awesome phone! Love it so far.

I am looking forward to CM12 coming out though.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • jbiloh said: My OPO just got here today, awesome phone! Love it so far.

How's the battery life?

• @agoldenberg said:
    First come first served invite. Expires in 24 hrs https://account.oneplus.net/invite/claim/GLUC-ZYTT-IDEK-GWKN

Missed it :(

• MKDMKD Member

Its hard to get parts for this phone. A friend of mine got one and the screen was broken and he was asking in many shops to get it fixed but there are no parts for it. Only online can you buy them.

@Umair said:
    Missed it :(

Buy an invite for $5 on ebay

@jbiloh amen! I really need cm12! The nightlys are still pretty buggy though!

Thanked by 1netomx

By far, OPO is the best phone I've ever had. No comparison to the N5. It's faster, feels better in the hand with the curved design and I really like CM11. Very polished -- I've only found a few issues (and far less than Android 5.02 on the N5).

Oh, and the battery life is amaazzzing.

Thanked by 20xdragon netomx
  • jbiloh said: Oh, and the battery life is amaazzzing.

What about using WiFi for 6 hours, what battery left will?

• @jbiloh said:
    By far, OPO is the best phone I've ever had. No comparison to the N5. It's faster, feels better in the hand with the curved design and I really like CM11. Very polished -- I've only found a few issues (and far less than Android 5.02 on the N5).

Oh, and the battery life is amaazzzing.

Told you :)

Thanked by 1netomx