Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LET PM spam from GVH - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

LET PM spam from GVH

Comments

• We deeply apologize about the troubles that the last few days have caused. We know that we have been experiencing issues with accessibility of our client area. They were due to very large scale DDoS attacks of all attack vectors and layers against our systems, ongoing nonstop for days .. the most recent largely due to a constroversial forum "mailbox spam" dilemma that we were falsely accused of being a part of.

• ATHKATHK Member
    edited December 2014

@linuxthefish said:
    We deeply apologize about the troubles that the last few days have caused. We know that we have been experiencing issues with accessibility of our client area. They were due to very large scale DDoS attacks of all attack vectors and layers against our systems, ongoing nonstop for days .. the most recent largely due to a constroversial forum "mailbox spam" dilemma that we were falsely accused of being a part of.

What..

What part of GVH do you work for (support?) and what's your real name?

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@linuxthefish said:
    We deeply apologize about the troubles that the last few days have caused. We know that we have been experiencing issues with accessibility of our client area. They were due to very large scale DDoS attacks of all attack vectors and layers against our systems, ongoing nonstop for days .. the most recent largely due to a constroversial forum "mailbox spam" dilemma that we were falsely accused of being a part of.

Really? I mean is that sent by them?

• linuxthefishlinuxthefish Member
    edited December 2014

@ATHK said:
    What part of GVH do you work for and what's your real name.

I am Jonny!

@Maounique said:
    Really? I mean is that sent by them?

I think they are still working on getting things back to normal, the site is working fine for me now.

Thanked by 1ATHK
  • comXyzcomXyz Member
    edited December 2014

@ATHK said:

Look at his name, linuxtheGreen

Thanked by 2linuxthefish Pwner
  • @ATHK said:

linuxthefish doesn't work for GVH.

• Funny thing.. GVH announced their CC backed DDOS protection and someone decided to test that until they had to build their "custom cloud setup" << watever that means << and roll-back their database from their backups.

Thanked by 1gsrdgrdghd
  • mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

Not sure how a DDoS attack forces them to rollback the database one day?
    Even with the so called 'Maintenance' shouldn't force that kind of rollback.

But then again, not the first time they try things in production.

• Still no email from GVH regarding their latest data leak.

• @kcaj said:
    Still no email from GVH regarding their latest data leak.

What leak is that?

I noticed as a "deleted customer" I am still getting all the advert e-mails and no way to unsubscribe...

• @wych said:
    I noticed as a "deleted customer" I am still getting all the advert e-mails and no way to unsubscribe...

It seemed that whilst moving their WHMCS installation about a ~560MB .tar.gz file was left on it's own in the root index folder of the client area subdomain.

That file contained around ~2600 ticket attachments including scanned ID. I'll stress that this was only the web files and not the database.

• @kcaj thats what the finest outsourced techs can do I guess.

At least its not the DB, but still a sad state.

• kcaj said: ~560MB .tar.gz

$1

• This happened Sunday night, UK time.

• @kcaj said:
    That file contained around ~2600 ticket attachments including scanned ID. I'll stress that this was only the web files and not the database.

How do you know ;). This company gets better with age, like a nice bottle of red.

• @ATHK said:
    How do you know ;). This company gets better with age, like a nice bottle of red.

I downloaded the file.

• I always thought you smelt fishy.

Thanked by 2hostnoob netomx
  • mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@kcaj said:

In the words of George Takei:

Thanked by 1Darwin
  • wych said: @kcaj thats what the finest outsourced techs can do I guess.

I thought Jon said they don't use outsourced support?

• wychwych Member
    edited December 2014

@linuxthefish said:
    I thought Jon said they don't use outsourced support?

Jon says alot of things...

• wychwych Member
    edited December 2014

@kcaj said:
    This happened Sunday night, UK time.

Interesting... I shouldn't even be in the DB so don't get why I get the mails.

• So not only did their website go down for days and their database had to be rolled back due to a DDoS attack after they announced their new DDoS protection, but they also published customer files and ID scans on the internet?

Thanked by 1MannDude
  • lol you might as well trust your personal information with a host on HF and have a better chance of it not getting leaked all over the net.

• Lol

• gsrdgrdghd said: but they also published customer files and ID scans on the internet?

Correct.

• @wych said:

Pretty sure there's something you can do about it. If I recall correctly, there's a law in the US that requires companies that send emails to have an unsubscribing option. Considering GVH is a US-based and registered company, you can take legal actions against them if they don't remove you from their mailing list.

• Anyone who wants to be removed from the mailing list can simply open a support request. We fully honor all such requests. If anyone is still receiving promotional emails after requesting removal, PM me directly and I'll see to it that they're stopped.

• I think I have a fair idea of who was doing the mailbox shenanigans. Clearly they're young and possibly in love with GVH, they just don't realise that certain behaviours about them shine through.

It seemed that whilst moving their WHMCS installation about a ~560MB .tar.gz file was left on it's own in the root index folder of the client area subdomain.

That kind of thing should be reported to the relevant US authority, regardless of GVH affiliation or loves/hates. If there's anything to get on a high horse about regarding cheapo hosts, it's breaking their own country's laws.

• Has anyone done a check against GVH's email's to see if they are compliant with US laws. I don't think you should be required to make a ticket to remove yourself from an email list.

Thanked by 2ATHK Lee