Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Unlimited or unmetered bandwidth/traffic
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Unlimited or unmetered bandwidth/traffic

Hi guys,
I came across the rule that does not allow offers with "unlimited" or "unmetered" bandwidth/traffic in view of limits set by upstream providers. Quite a no. of providers do not set limits to their "unlimited / unmetered" bandwidth nowadays, allowing downstream providers like myself and others the opportunity to offer such services.
Is it still mandatory to abide by this rule or "negotiable"? It would to a certain extent benefit the community and everybody else......... Comments welcome, thanks.

Comments

• Nothing is unlimited though so I don't see it working out well for the customer when they get suspended for using 100TB of data..

It makes sense to not allow offers for unlimited data.

Thanked by 1TheKiller
  • Care to provide more details pls?

• @century1stop said:
    Care to provide more details pls?

What do you what? I don't know if I can provide more...

• Well, there may be hidden stories behind the suspension.......

• @ATHK said:
    Nothing is unlimited though so I don't see it working out well for the customer when they get suspended for using 100TB of data..

It makes sense to not allow offers for unlimited data.

I've checked with my upstream provider and there's no limit. How many clients would have 100TB legit data anyhow?

• nexusrainnexusrain Member
    edited December 2014

I think it's more like - LIKE unlimited for most people. Because how many people use, let's say more than 10TB/month? And if they do, they'll have a dedicated and pay a lot for it, so it's OK for the provider too. That's what I think.

• Exactly my point, available bandwidth as and when needed, w/o worrying about overage. End user benefits.....

• century1stop said: Exactly my point, available bandwidth as and when needed, w/o worrying about overage. End user benefits.....

Then it's not unlimited is it?

You're right though, they may have been suspended for something else, I don't know I'll see if I can dig something up, LET's search is rubbish...

• For us we have to put a limit, so we put 50TB and disable suspension on going over the bandwidth allowance, not that anyone has used more than about 10TB ever...

• haha, search elsewhere..... it's unlimited (no overage) but you won't know how much will be used. Hi's and lo's, no?

• @century1stop said:
    haha, search elsewhere..... it's unlimited (no overage) but you won't know how much will be used. Hi's and lo's, no?

I guess you're right, but .. theoretically speaking if I wanted to use 100TB and managed to used all of that .. do you think the provider would be happy about it?

• If the provider only has 100TB bandwidth and you are the sole client, he'd be FURIOUS, hehe.

Thanked by 1TheKiller
  • However in most cases, you'd be one out of a hundred or more, and most will not even use up to 1TB per month.

• @SNetworks1 said:
    For us we have to put a limit, so we put 50TB and disable suspension on going over the bandwidth allowance, not that anyone has used more than about 10TB ever...

Different companies have different policies :). If they ever use over 50TB, it's probably synchronized DDOS anyhow.... :P

• @century1stop said:
    However in most cases, you'd be one out of a hundred or more, and most will not even use up to 1TB per month.

You are right, however in this case having unmetered bandwidth is nothing more useful than a 2TB limit.

And limiting the usage could help improving the network stabilities. Imaging some of your neighbor pushing 80MB/s traffic outbound for a whole week.

• @msg7086 said:
    And limiting the usage could help improving the network stabilities. Imaging some of your neighbor pushing 80MB/s traffic outbound for a whole week.

Quite true. Pros and cons, wouldn't you say?

• But if I had a client that's pushing 80MB/s inbound or outbound for a whole week, I'd say he's up to something really fishy.

• @century1stop said:
    Different companies have different policies :). If they ever use over 50TB, it's probably synchronized DDOS anyhow.... :P

If anyone managed to use 50TB I'd love to know how they managed it ;)

Thanked by 1century1stop
  • @SNetworks1 said:
    If anyone managed to use 50TB I'd love to know how they managed it ;)

yea, gimme five~

• Even google will only use 300GB - 500GB per day (approx.) based on 100,000 visitors

• I reiterate, "unlimited" bandwidth based on the principle, as and when needed, for legit purposes. Maybe your site "suddenly" becomes the next generation google.....

• I offer you unlimited disk and bandwidth, but you're limited by our tos, fair usage and a few other things.

Can't you see the irony?

• I wouldn't speak for others but based on our service agreement, it's use what you require for the smooth running of your service or website. Anyone that sees otherwise please let us know.
    Fair use normally means do not abuse. I'm quite sure all providers here agree all that is necessary for legit purposes will be provided but will not tolerate abuse.

• "Legit", depending on your personal sense of legitimacy, eh?

I used 15GB a month for years. Once my traffic surged for a few days, ripping apart the truly unlimited gbps connection of the server. (20TB or more)

You probably would not have deemed the traffic "legit". Which is why I am glad my server was from some other provider. :)

• Guess you like putting words in people's mouths

• @century1stop said:
    Guess you like putting words in people's mouths

"hey I give unlimited bandwidth, but only for "legit" reasons" - what do you expect me to say?

"If you want to host files, use mega."

"If you want to send mails, use mailgun."

"If you want free bandwidth, use cloudflare."

"You have unlimited $product, but not if you use it for $reason."

"$product is unlimited, but only "fair use"."

Just a bit tired of it. :)

• You sound like a trouble maker, that's trendy nowadays. You ASSUMED (haha) I wouldn't find it legit (probably isn't) and you've never been a client. BTW "legit" is legal and allowed content (read up everybody's TOS before you comment), not for me to say.

Thanked by 10xdragon
  • century1stop said: You sound like a trouble maker, that's trendy nowadays. You ASSUMED (haha) I wouldn't find it legit (probably isn't) and you've never been a client. BTW "legit" is legal and allowed content (read up everybody's TOS before you comment), not for me to say.

You ASSUMED (haha) I am a trouble maker. I have never actually caused trouble as a customer. I pay my invoice on time and cause no abuse.

Of course I have never and will never be a client of someone who falsely advertises "unlimited".

I was unaware that "legit" means "legal" these days. It is not for you to say, exactly. So why mention it? Because you will take a closer look at the VPS of your customer when they use the "unlimited" bandwidth you advertised? So trustworthy and professional.

• Wonder which fairy tale you read?

4n0nx said: "You have unlimited $product, but not if you use it for $reason."

"$product is unlimited, but only "fair use"."

Anyone seen such terms before?

• @century1stop said:
    Wonder which fairy tale you read?

Anyone seen such terms before?

Yours. Why can't I use your "unlimited bandwidth" for audio streaming? What's wrong with "investment sites"? TOR nodes/relays must be also forbidden, because they inevitably put the IP address on blacklists temporarily.

Thanked by 1chrisp