Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How much RAM do you have in your daily-use work/home machine - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How much RAM do you have in your daily-use work/home machine

124»

Comments

• MacBook Air 4GB
    Mac Mini 16GB

• trvztrvz Member
    edited November 2014

1GB, although I'm thinking about doubling (and always putting it off). It's about choosing your software.

• I'm glad I use Firefox instead of Chrome for browsing, seems like Chrome is a memory hog.

• 16 GB at home. NewEgg special too good to pass up.

• @Maounique said:

Isn't possible high latency giving issues for you? Because of some reason I just can't get RDP working smoothly even when ping is below 50ms.

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

@netomx said:
    16GB in my laptop, with Samsung 840 pro 512GB. I can have Titanfall, LoL, Virtualbox with 2 VMs and my usual 20+ tabs on chrome and the laptop doesnt even feel the load xD

What model do you have?

• 10 GB on my Zenbook.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@trewq said:
    What model do you have?

Alienware m17x r4

• jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited November 2014

ihatetonyy said: 8GB in my desktop and on my laptop - for some comfort room when running Photoshop and InDesign.

Do you make DTP jobs? I saw you work on InDesign (used to work in ancient times on... Pagemaker while I was also working on Quark 3, back in early '00s!), now I use Quark and occasionaly ID mostly for compatibility with importing other jobs.

• 4GB in my office pc (3 cores) used for DTP (Photoshop CS6, QuarkXpress 8, Corel 5) and it is quite enough for creating a tabloid newspaper.
    • 6GB in a six-core pc for video mixing / streaming (6 analogue SD inputs and 3 firewire inputs with Vmix 12 / FMLE / Wirecast in 720x586px)
    • 4GB in my laptop (2 cores) for web design / portal update / DTP / occasional video or audio streaming
  • nitro85 said: Firefox went crap at version 4, like 4 years ago, but 6 months ago I switched to Firefox again at version 29, now its at 33, and its so stable and light

Absolutely agree! Chrome is a piece of crap nowdays. Firefox is way better in mem and cpu handling.

• I find Chrome handles memory better. It uses more, but as I kill tabs it's available immediately. Whereas Firefox just keep eating ram and needs a restart every couple days. At least this has been my experience on OS X. I just hated having to actually care about memory usage.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@taronyu said:

Actually, it does not behave differently on a lan or a remote server for me. I think not latency is your problem, rather high jitter or low bw, I am using rdp in US and is pretty fast. Sure, it will never be as fast as my own machine, but it does like the old computers i have, slight lag until the command fires.
    But, I am typing this on RDP and it works great, many times I forget it is not station and on my station I often put the mouse up to minimize the "session".

Thanked by 1taronyu
  • Maounique said: only need a mobile connection.

Hardest part for some, good luck trying to use RDP over the crappy 3G i get in the UK!

• @linuxthefish said:
    Hardest part for some, good luck trying to use RDP over the crappy 3G i get in the UK!

Get 4G or just use three's 3g, it's pretty good.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

linuxthefish said: Hardest part for some, good luck trying to use RDP over the crappy 3G i get in the UK!

I used it over all sorts of mobile connections at times only gprs is available, it still works pretty decently on my phone, I am already slow on that device and typing has lag too but it works. Cant ask more in the forest in a valley.

• My laptop 8 GB.

• My laptop has 16gb, however there's no option for anything other than that for a 15 inch MacBook Pro. I may have gotten 32gb if it were offered.

• emgemg Veteran
    edited November 2014

I have 16 Gbytes in the iMac on my desk at home. I also have 16 Gbytes installed on a headless Mac mini server there too. Both are quad core i7 computers. I run a lot of virtual machines, which are RAM hungry.

My older computers had a lot of RAM (in their day) for the same reasons, but now that amount of RAM is insufficient. I have a MacBook Pro maxed out with 4 Gbytes of RAM, but I will probably replace it soon. The reason I continue to use it is that 17 inch MacBooks are no longer produced, and the large screen serves well as a "portable" desktop replacement.

For the record, I once paid $500,000 (one half million US dollars) for 5 Gigabytes of RAM, but that was a long time ago.

In case you are wondering, the expensive 5 Gbytes RAM was divided between two servers, which were load balanced to appear as one server. We had to provide a complex integrated development environment for an estimated 150 developers, max: 200. Our new IDE required roughly 80 Megabytes of RAM per active developer. 80 Mbytes per developer was jaw-dropping huge at the time. We estimated approximately 60 developers would be active at any given time on each server.

(This was at a time when 4 megabytes of RAM was common in a typical PC, and it was more than sufficient to run the operating system and typical development tools.)

Thanked by 2nitro85 upfreak
  • emgemg Veteran

P.S. The first computer I used regularly had 64 kilobytes of core (not RAM) memory. The computing staff held a parade when it was upgraded to 88k of core. They marched the racks of core memory down the street and into the computer building, and everyone stood around on both sides of the street clapping and cheering. No kidding.

The first computer I bought came with 16 kilobytes of RAM.

The Voyager spacecraft, which just recently crossed the boundary between our solar system and interstellar space, each have a combined total of 68k of memory in them. (Volatile and non-volatile memory)

Yeah. I am old. (But still technically savvy!)