Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How much RAM do you have in your daily-use work/home machine - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How much RAM do you have in your daily-use work/home machine

Comments

• 8gb for my old desktop, 10gb for my laptop, and 16gb for my main desktop.

Virtualization, Visual Studio, Jetbrains, Deluge, and etc etc which heavily uses RAM

• After reading the comments above, I feel guilty for running Photoshop CS5 on an older 2007 MacBook with 2GB of RAM. OS X Lion alone seems to be hogging my resources and slowing the machine down.

• I have 2 GB :)

• 16-24gb depending which tower I am on.

2gb on my lappy; I really need a new one!

• i use 24 GB but i still need , many tabs

• frankfrank Member
    edited November 2014

32GB work, 16GB home. Running multiple instances of Intellij IDEA, phpstorm, pycharm and visual studio as well as the various 'putty' windows, Firefox, Chrome and IE all at the same time really does require lots of RAM. 'Idle' the work machine is usually around 40-50% memory usage while I am working.

Netbook only has 4GB, then again that's only ever used as a glorified demo machine / notepad with clients.

• I've got 16GB in my work ThinkPad X230. Why? Because that's what they gave me, although I rarely have cause to use so much these days as everything I do is remotely via RDP or SSH.

• cfgguycfgguy Member, Host Rep

16gb work and 8gb home.

• Couldn't imagine now how I used my first desktop which had only 512 MB ram and 10 GB HDD :)

• @Nekki said:
    I've got 16GB in my work ThinkPad X230. Why? Because that's what they gave me, although I rarely have cause to use so much these days as everything I do is remotely via RDP or SSH.

Is it some kind of bribe a hoster gave you ? xD

• 4GB in my MBA.

A downgrade from my previous Acer that had 8GB, the MBA struggles with running VMs.

• TarZZ92TarZZ92 Member
    edited November 2014

32GB

Machine uses about 4/5GB on idle + 15GB RAMDISK.

the rest is free.

• 2GB in a Laptop with Linux Mint. After switching to Linux Mint RAM isn't really an issue, though running VMs is a pain in the ass.

• 8gb in my laptop, 4gb in my work laptop. Ram has never been an issue for me also, I used to run fine with 2gb in both running linux.

• Used to just run 8GB but it wasn't really enough. So running 16GB in my desktop, with 4GB in my laptop for the odd time I need to go somewhere with it.

• nitro85nitro85 Member
    edited November 2014

3gb, 32 bits, motherboard doenst recognize more, its a pentium D machine with more than 8 years, and it works flawlessly

• @Sady said:
    Is it some kind of bribe a hoster gave you ? xD

Lol sadly not, my employers provided it incase I needed to do local development, but I've not done any development for years now.

• I have 16GB.. that being said 8GB of it is usually used by dev tools and chrome..

• Have 12 GB for now, but always run out of memory :) Waiting for a release of 32 GB RAM block to add because have just one slot for memory.

• My Laptop : 6 GB
    Work computer : 16 GB (Running sublime, firefox/chrome and thunderbird). never use more than 10 GB.

• gurugrvgurugrv Member
    edited November 2014

Got 32GB Ripjaws X

• Here's a pic. !

Thanked by 10xdragon
  • emreemre Member, LIR
    edited November 2014
    my@home:~# free -m
                 total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
    Mem:        193397     192244       1152          0      10471     153422
    -/+ buffers/cache:      28350     165047
    Swap:         8191        450       7741

• 1GB (upgraded from 512MB) in a first gen P4 2.4Ghz box with no hyperthreading. 4 PATA drives total ~320GB disk. Booya!

Thanked by 1upfreak
  • @rajprakash isn't it too expensive to use this, power wise?

• nitro85nitro85 Member
    edited November 2014

64bits windows is shit, once I tried to install windows 7 64bits with my 3Gb of RAM on my desktop, it consumed the double of the RAM and slowed down my system a lot

I dont understand why you guys need so much ram, if you guys used a 32bits OS, 3Gb would be more than enough, I can have a lot of browser tabs and stuff open and rarely pass 2Gb of use

64bit OS still dont make sense, almost no apps use 64bits and It barely does any diference

• 8GB ram because my laptop came with it, but not used to them. Was working on a 2GB ram pc and never went more than 1.5gb, with limited use of course.

• 640Kb you don't need more than that.

16Gb 13" MBP. 6 to 12Gb is my normal ram usage.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • nitro85nitro85 Member
    edited November 2014

@SpartanHost said:
    I have 16GB RAM in my desktop. There was really no reasoning behind having that much other than greed when I was getting it built. I suppose there was an element of 'I might be future proofing my desktop' but things change so much, I'm not sure if such a thing exists anymore. As sqamsqam mentioned, Chrome does use a lot of RAM but with 20 tabs open across two Chrome's and a few other applications open such as Skype, I reach around 6.5GB RAM usage: http://puu.sh/cU1u7/b665838e14.png

Chrome it's crap at resource usage, Firefox is so much better these days, and has much more features

Firefox went crap at version 4, like 4 years ago, but 6 months ago I switched to Firefox again at version 29, now its at 33, and its so stable and light

• nitro85nitro85 Member
    edited November 2014

@rajprakash said:
    1GB (upgraded from 512MB) in a first gen P4 2.4Ghz box with no hyperthreading. 4 PATA drives total ~320GB disk. Booya!

You can run the world with that

My dad has a P4 HT 3.0Ghz with 1Gb ram at 333mhz and a recent Win XP clean install in his office, and everytime I use it I'm always amazed how fluid and fast it is, it feels more responsive than my laptop with 4Gb DDR3 and a Core2Duo 2 Ghz (but it has Windows 8 64 bit OS on it), and I only have the necessary things on it and the startup is clean

Thanked by 1linuxthefish