Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How much RAM do you have in your daily-use work/home machine - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How much RAM do you have in your daily-use work/home machine

Comments

• How old is that machine rajprakash? I'm using a 5 year old Sony Vaio just now while my other laptop is repaired.

• 16 GB, it was really cheap on Black Friday, so you know, why not. I have never used anywhere close to that.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • 16gb in my Mac book pro with 512mb ssd drive just what came with it

• rds100 said: @rajprakash isn't it too expensive to use this, power wise?

Na. $0.08USD/kwh where I am, and I don't run it 24/7.

nitro85 said: You can run the world with that

I have a typical Win7 install fully loaded with productivity apps. Great user experience. I dropped in a Sparkle GeForce 8400GS video card and 1080 video is fine. Netflix streams in HD no problems. It's a great box.

ricardo said: How old is that machine rajprakash? I'm using a 5 year old Sony Vaio just now while my other laptop is repaired.

2002 if I recall. That was a good vintage :)

• 16gb DDR3-1600 on my desktop/gaming rig, 4gb on my laptop.

• edited November 2014

32 GB on my laptop...!! Coz why not....

But, For video editing and Matlab stuff...

With a 256 GB Samsung Evo PRO with 32GB Pagefile!!

• taronyutaronyu Member
    edited November 2014

@nitro85 said:
    Firefox went crap at version 4, like 4 years ago, but 6 months ago I switched to Firefox again at version 29, now its at 33, and its so stable and light

I always have been a big fan of Firefox, but Chrome performs so much better on my Macbook then Firefox.

Macbook: 4Gb
    Desktop: 8Gb
    Work: 4Gb (3D CAD drawing)

• Desktop 8GB

Laptop 4GB

I might upgrade my laptop to 8GB in the near future

• SpartanHostSpartanHost Member, Host Rep

@nitro85 said:
    Firefox went crap at version 4, like 4 years ago, but 6 months ago I switched to Firefox again at version 29, now its at 33, and its so stable and light

I might give it a go again, thanks for the suggestion!

• I use a hp 1u rack dual quadcore with a low profile pci-e ati video card with 32gb of memory no swap. I like to put in a better video card but there's no space.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited November 2014

I have all kinds of machines.

Thin client I use for RDP mostly: 1 GB on 2, two of 2 GB. They are in the order of time using (at least 2 are on at any time (except power failures):
    1. Via C7 1 Ghz 1 GB
    2. 2x N270 EEEPcs one 1 gb, one 2 GB
    3 (but will probably become main): E-350 2 GB DDR3.

Via has issues at playing back video, the others not really,

Also, for heavy duty stuff, tests, etc, I have 3 servers, 2x 1U, one of 2U, 8-36-72 GB RAM, respectively.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • To add to my previous ones - 4GB ram SP3 for school.

• @rajprakash said:
    1GB (upgraded from 512MB) in a first gen P4 2.4Ghz box with no hyperthreading. 4 PATA drives total ~320GB disk. Booya!

I have the same CPU, which refuses to die. Running a lite version of windows 7 with 768MB RAM. It was my torrent/print/media/backup server until a spare openwrt router took over. Now its in a corner waiting for some love..

• Chrome seems to the ram eater as many say. I must try to go back to Firefox..

After seeing comments here and some google fu on price/performance, It looks like after 10+ GB RAM, adding mSATA (m.2 SSD) makes more sense than adding RAM for laptops. ( I am not really comfortable to swap my TB HDD with an expensive SSD, when same performance can be achieved using a m.2 ssd for booting the primary OS) Any thoughts or sugestions to this?

• 4 @ home; 8 @ work.

• Laptop with 32GB - I run a lot of VMs for work so needed the most RAM I could get. At the time 32GB was the most I could get in a laptop - maybe 64GB laptops will be common soon?

kiwidave said: Laptop with 32GB - I run a lot of VMs for work so needed the most RAM I could get. At the time 32GB was the most I could get in a laptop - maybe 64GB laptops will be common soon?

I doubt it, not many people run VMs on laptops. Sure,t here are people that need it, but common? Not really, 8 GB is enough for almost anything, 16 GB is already a luxury, 32 a waste and 64 crazy at this time. A laptop must preserve battery, already having a discrete GPU is a big drain, powerful CPU also (why have 16 GB ram if cpu is ULV?), RAM adds too there are probably big drives too. It will be a monster at 5 Kg and then better get a desktop and use RDP from the laptop.

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

32GB on my desktop i7. Mainly so I can run whatever I want, including many VMs.

On a laptop, 4GB is enough, though my work laptop weirdly has 20GB...I think it was one of those "it comes with 4GB from the factory and we stuck a 16GB stick in because we got a deal on them" sort of things.

I could use a laptop with 64MB of RAM, honestly, though maybe not all the time...I mean, I'm just going to ssh out of it anyway :-)

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

4GB but i gonna Upgrade it to 8GB.

• Yeah, the likes of OVH are so cheap you can rent for 12 months and upgrade for lots of tasks IMO. I use some OVH 32GB SYS boxes for search indexes held in memory which also has all the luxuries of being in a datacentre etc etc.

I've also a GPU intensive project that could be hosted at home, but the power costs make it more economical long term to be hosted elsewhere.

It kind of ties in with the argument of people using tablets/phones for doing some of their 'work'. Lots of things nowdays simply need to be a dummy terminal that connects to where the real power is.

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • DBADBA Member
    edited November 2014

24GB (i7 920 system with 6x4GB DIMM), mainly to compensate for my small cell phone - a Nokia Lumina 710.

Thanked by 1vimalware

ricardo said: Lots of things nowdays simply need to be a dummy terminal that connects to where the real power is.

Yeah, a small computer and a big monitor solves everything.
    1. Power bill at home and this allows also for non-stop runs;
    2. Always available (including tablets and phones) so you can keep all tabs open non-stop;
    3. You can have a small laptop which has very long battery life with you when you are away, only need a mobile connection.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

6 GB 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

Never needed more and I do plenty of work, including virtual machines.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

16GB in my laptop, with Samsung 840 pro 512GB. I can have Titanfall, LoL, Virtualbox with 2 VMs and my usual 20+ tabs on chrome and the laptop doesnt even feel the load xD

4GB typical ram usage

• nunimnunim Member
    edited November 2014

I've got 8GB in my "Work" desktop but with Google Chrome and 30+ tabs, I frequently run low on system memory. When I built this computer, I figured that 8GB would be plenty of memory as I'd never had a desktop with more than 4GB before.

Since this is an mATX board with only 2 ram slots, my only option for an upgrade is to buy 8GB DIMMs @ $80/ea

If anyone has some extra DDR3 1866, I'd be interested :)

• ad0ad0 Member
    edited November 2014

haswell i5-4670k, i7-4770k, i7-4790k with 4GB 1600mhz on each no graphic card

• 16GB on the Desktop/Server. 8Gb on the laptop.
    Need to change laptop to something that supports 16GB. Currently, Win7 runs out of memory with 25+ tabs on Chrome.

• geekalotgeekalot Member
    edited November 2014

Current primary laptop came with 8GB RAM, would like 16GB but that's about it.

Have too many machines to count: laptops, desktops, servers, thin clients, etc. Need to donate some to reputable, efficient charities; on the to-do list. This thread was a reminder to get this done.

Thanked by 1upfreak

geekalot said: This thread was a reminder to get this done.

Same here, I have again too many machines, 4 for only RDP is a waste, many kids would love a small EEEPC to learn and play, however, lately, they would rather get a tablet and I cant blame them.

• My laptop use 4GB of RAM