Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why LEB's price criteria is limited to $7? Why not $10 or another? - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Why LEB's price criteria is limited to $7? Why not $10 or another?

124»

Comments

• kiloserve said: 9 out of the last 10 offers were OpenVZ

More Xen offers on the second lot of 10 :) And how would raising the price brings in ore Xen/KVM offers? Wouldn't that also increase the number of OpenVZ offers as well?

There are more OpenVZ offers because providers prefer them, as they (1) are easily oversell-able. I have no doubt those 1GB/2GB offers are heavily overloaded, despite whatever the providers say. (2) just easier to set up and manage, as this end of market is heavily populated with wannabes with little technical ability.

I could alter my preference to list the Xen/KVM offers rather than OpenVZ on LEB, if that's what people want.

Thanked by 2tonkla Indic
  • sleddog said:

I think there's two end-user markets: (1) the cheapskates, (2) the minimalists.

The cheapskates want as much as possible for as little as possible.

The minimalists enjoy working with scarce resources. Forty years ago we were building crystal radios :)

Unfortunately (IMO) the cheapskates drive the market.

>

I am 75% cheapskate, main reason being currency conversion (had a chat with Bolts on this). and 25% minimalist aswell.

• kiloservekiloserve Member
    edited October 2011

LowEndAdmin said: I could alter my preference to list the Xen/KVM offers rather than OpenVZ on LEB, if that's what people want.

Oh no, that would be a shame. OpenVZ is a part of the market and that's just the way it is. I just think by raising the price a few dollars, there could be more Xen/KVM options.

As you say, there will be more OpenVZ offers as a by-product.

But it seems to me there's a pricewar going on with OpenVZ right now to give more at lower costs...you sell over $7 and nobody is going to buy when you can get 2GB for $7. So I don't think VZ will be affected.

What you might see is 3GB or 4GB OpenVZ for $10.

Other than 3GB/4GB OpenVZ for $10, the only other thing I see different is you'll start seeing a price war on Xen/KVM to get lower than $10, $9, $8 which is a good thing for consumers. Eventually you'll probably see 1GB Xen/KVM get forced under $5 just like OpenVZ but now not yet.

I think people misunderstand and think $10 will mean increasing prices. I think the reverse effect is true.

Pandora's box has been opened, there's no going backwards from 2GB <$7. No seller is going to raise prices, competition will keep prices down. You are only adding more resources and more players to the mix at $10 and more competition means even lower prices.

Raising to $10 isn't going to raise anybody's prices for the resources they are paying now. In fact, you'll probably open the door to getting ALOT more resources for $10 than you are getting at $7.

Thanked by 1tonkla
  • kiloserve said:

Oh no, that would be a shame. OpenVZ is a part of the market and that's just the way it is. I just think by raising the price a few dollars, there could be more Xen/KVM options.

As you say, there will be more OpenVZ offers as a by-product.

But it seems to me there's a pricewar going on with OpenVZ right now to give more at lower costs...you sell over $7 and nobody is going to buy when you can get 2GB for $7. So I don't think VZ will be affected. Pandora's box has been opened, there's no going backwards from 2GB <$7. What you might see is 3GB or 4GB OpenVZ for $10.

The only thing I see different is you'll start seeing a price war on Xen/KVM to get lower than $10, $9, $8 which is a good thing for consumers. Eventually you'll probably see 1GB Xen/KVM get forced under $5 just like OpenVZ but now not yet.

I would LOVE to see a nice Xen/KVM offer, for a nice price, payable by PayGol SMS, or better yet, free.

• A price war is certainly a possibility.

I don't speak for the majority here though. Somehow I much prefer getting something that I need, rather than just getting the biggest pie you can afford although you might only be able to take 2 bites of it.

Most my sites (PHP or Python) fit under 256MB with room to spare, and even the ones that I need more memory for, I probably won't be shopping at this end of the town.

edited October 2011

LowEndAdmin said: I don't speak for the majority here though.

It's your decision, just my thoughts and as I said, I'm fine with the current limit, the $10 raise would make things more interesting on the other fronts (Xen/KVM).

The price war is already here on OpenVZ, Xen/KVM is not represented much but $10 may open the floodgate on Xen/KVM offers and possibly the subsequent pricing drops.

I think there's a misconception that raising to $10 will raise prices. Any OpenVZ seller (ourselves included) raising prices would be suicide. VZ prices will only be going lower.

And sorry for the misquote, my intention was to point out that $7 is not set in stone by some standards committee. $7 is reasonable for OpenVZ, but may not be for Xen/KVM. All of the providers who tried $7 for 1GB Xen/KVM ended up in the dead pool (or selling off). I think $10 still qualifies for low budget and would give budget conscious users more options into other things than just OpenVZ.

Thanked by 1tonkla
  • SpiritSpirit Member
    edited October 2011

miTgiB said: 1gb is not going to be a safe buy on LEB for KVM, but 512mb might be.

@kiloserve, do you really expect more than that from lowendbox site? You're on wrong place then and lowendbox simply isn't for you.
    Only misconception here is that lowendbox isn't just another "webhosting offers" forum but from beginning very specific.

edited October 2011

Spirit said: do you really expect more than that from lowendbox site?

YES, and so are my fellow lowenders. LEB has grown from the original 128MB days and now includes offers from 2GB.

We, as well as other Lowenders bought that 2GB plan. Are you saying we are ALL in the wrong place?

If somebody can provide a 1GB <$10 Xen/KVM we'd happily buy. But you'll never see those offers here at the current $7.

Thanked by 1tonkla
  • No, I not saying ALL (and don't manipulate with words including "all others" to prove your own right please) but you definitely are, but well... nevermind. As it seems even with your disagreement LEB wont become just another "webhosting offers" site and that's good enough for me. All rest is just pissing against the wind. Have fun with that!

• kiloserve said: If somebody can provide a 1GB <$10 Xen/KVM we'd happily buy. But you'll never see those offers here at the current $7.

That doesn't preclude them showing up next quarter, or next year as costs shift

• Just a fight between buyer(s) and seller(s) :-)

If I may add my 2 bahts, I came here because of the name: LowEndBox! And I hope it will stay like it is now.

Thanks LEA

• Spirit said: All rest is just pissing against the wind. Have fun with that!

That's right, we're just having a discussion. That is all it is.

edited October 2011

miTgiB said: That doesn't preclude them showing up next quarter, or next year as costs shift

That is true. Times change and prices change.

But I haven't seen costs shift enough to do a viable 1GB Xen for less than $7.

$10 or less for 1GB Xen/KVM is doable but not $7.

Looking at your prices and our prices, less <$7 just doesn't work out for KVM/Xen unless you're talking about small sizes.

And perhaps OpenVZ is good enough for LEB and there is no need for 1GB Xen/KVM. That may be the case and that's why we're discussing it. I think the $7 1GB Xen/KVM's did have alot of interest/orders but the providers just couldn't make it.

edited October 2011

TigersWay said: If I may add my 2 bahts, I came here because of the name: LowEndBox! And I hope it will stay like it is now.

Lol, "bahts". $10 is still lowend I think. :)

This isn't going to change pricing on Lowend $2, $3, $7 offers. OpenVZ prices are going to continue to drop. Only crazy providers would raise OpenVZ prices at this time.

For example, 2 companies have already set the precedent for 2GB at $7. If I try to sell 2GB for $10, why would anybody buy from me? This change in the price cap isn't about raising prices but rather to allow for more options.

Most of the offers at LEB are OpenVZ because Xen/KVM providers can't fit into the $7 window without drastically lowering resources.

OpenVZ prices will stay cheap for the people who like OpenVZ. But for people who want Xen/KVM, they may be able to get their fix at LEB instead of other places.

Simply put, $10 cap will continue to have low prices for OpenVZ. But at the same time, it will open up more Xen/KVM options for users who prefer Xen/KVM.

Raising the cap to $10 is a GOOD thing for the low end buyer, more resources, more options and eventually lower prices on Xen/KVM as companies try to price compete there too.

Thanked by 1tonkla
  • tonklatonkla Member
    edited October 2011

Thank you @kiloserve for representation what I want to say but I can't because I'm not good in English. You look like the one who can understand me :)

Thank you @LowEndAdmin for your opinion. Thank you everybody for your participation on this thread.

• Ummm not to start anything but what is low end to some people is not to others. What I believe LEA is trying to accomplish is to make a place where the low end of the spectrum in resources as well as budgets can find what they need.

I understand that XEN/KVM providers are at a disadvantage with the pricing the way it is but to raise the price to accommodate them is unfair to others who have posted their offers with in the current guidelines. I realize that in open you can oversell ram and or disk space and you can not in Xen/KVM.

That being said Xen/KVM are better choices when comes down to it and they can not be oversold. It is like comparing a vette and a chevette. Would you be happy if the vette cost what the chevette did? I think most would jump on it but what if the vette was built like the chevette? Would not be such a deal now would it?

Guess the real question is what would you rather have a 512 mb Xen/KVM? Or a 1 GB Open? Knowing the Xen is not oversold and the open likely is and/or can be?

edited October 2011

AuroraZ said: Guess the real question is what would you rather have a 512 mb Xen/KVM? Or a 1 GB Open? Knowing the Xen is not oversold and the open likely is and/or can be?

Even if the price cap is raised to $10, you can still get your $5 1GB OpenVZ and $7 2GB OpenVZ. The competition is so high in this segment and providers cannot afford to raise prices...only lower.

VZ pricing will continue to drop as simple supply and demand. What may change is the arrival of 3GB and 4GB VZ plans at $10.

There seemed to be alot of interest in those 1GB Xen/KVM plans when they were offered so it seems Lowenders do like Xen/KVM. But those providers ended up in the deadpool or leaving the business because $7 is just too low.

As you mentioned it is significantly more expensive to run Xen/KVM, but the same pricepoint $7 is applied to Xen/KVM that is applied to OpenVZ.

• My question to some of you hosts, would you offer LEB/LET a $10/mo 1GB Xen or KVM VPS? Are you really going to make money off of it (or break even?)

Thanked by 1tonkla
    edited October 2011

Kairus said: My question to some of you hosts, would you offer LEB/LET a $10/mo 1GB Xen or KVM VPS? Are you really going to make money off of it (or break even?)

Yes, I am sure $10 is doable for 1GB Xen/KVM. $7 is too low, $10 is close enough for providers to come down from $15/$20.

We evaluated doing Xen 1GB for $7 but the desire to stay away from the infamous "deadpool post" brought us back to our senses. :)

And as a buyer, I have also been waiting for a 1GB Xen. If another provider can do Xen/KVM for $10, I'd be the first to buy a few boxes for cluster services.

Thanked by 1tonkla
  • Would you sacrifice the Xen/KVM features for a price drop? I guess what I am getting at is you have your low end and a high end to everything even VPS software. I consider Xen/KVM to be geared to the middle and higher end VPS. This is my opinion and does not mean jack in the grand scheme of things.

• Kairus said: My question to some of you hosts, would you offer LEB/LET a $10/mo 1GB Xen or KVM VPS? Are you really going to make money off of it (or break even?)

No, I would not offer it, today. Today I cannot make enough profit and insure I can afford my rent, food, replace broken/aged hardware,and purchase new hardware for growth. I doubt I could break even on the deal, and while I love providing the service, I'm not here to break even, much less lose money.

If I offered something that was not of the quality it is today, I might be able to squeak it in, but I would not want my name on it.

Thanked by 2tonkla maxexcloo
  • you are all very nice and kind :-) but I still believe 1G is not and should not be "Low End"!

• Can you offer 512MB Xen/KVM for <$7?

Now it's "I can't offer 1GB for $7, but I can for $10". If the limit is increased to $10, we'll get "I can't offer 2GB for $10, but I can for $15" ... In meanwhile we'll see 3 or 4GB OpenVZ offers for $10, and we're back to beginning.

$7 is perfect IMHO, I don't see a reason why should it be changed.

• kylixkylix Member
    edited October 2011

We could also raise the bar to $50. It would still include $15/year offers. But why would we want that? LEB would simply loose its point. I wouldn't have any reason to look into the offers on LEB anymore. Simply because I would find more providers on WHT then.

I mean you could also simply sell brand new stuff on a jumble sale. But why would I want to buy that? I'm going there to get something cheap because my intention is to look for cheaper stuff. If I want to pay more, I will have a look at a shopping centre with high-priced offers by the dozen.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited October 2011

kiloserve said: And perhaps OpenVZ is good enough for LEB and there is no need for 1GB Xen/KVM.

Your main misconception is that you're looking for high end vps at low end vps site and you use few, only few... openVZ resources excess offers (two or so.. among hundreds and hundreds lower) to prove your own point. It's not like there would be any reason for 1GB Xen/KVM at this site yet. This is what you came out with. Most of my LEB Xen vpses have around 128 - 256MB ram and I am perfectly happy with them - because I got what I was looking for.

Few people here told you already that they don't shopping as this side of the town when they need higher end vpses... but you seems persistent to make from LEB something what it's not and wasn't ever mentioned to be.

• You could actually, http://www.lowendbox.com/about/

Spirit said: but you seems persistent to make from LEB something what it's not and wasn't ever mentioned to be.

Maybe because he wants to do this:

kiloserve said: Yes, I am sure $10 is doable for 1GB Xen/KVM. $7 is too low, $10 is close enough for providers to come down from $15/$20.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited October 2011

circus said: Maybe because he wants to do this:

>

kiloserve said: Yes, I am sure $10 is doable for 1GB Xen/KVM. $7 is too low, $10 is close enough for providers to come down from $15/$20.

And then with 3 - 4GB openVZ / 10 $ appearance, 15$ will be enough for Xen/KVM providers to come down from 20$/25$.. and then 20$ will be enough for Xen/KVM providers to come down from 30$/35$.. and so on.. Welcome to just another "hosting offers" forum.

Question is... is 1GB Xen/KVM really LOW END BOX? 7$ was suitable for LEB when there was only few providers able to offer such price. Nowaday is there plenty of them... and some people request higher treshold? That's just silly. Changed conditions are right opposite - treshold could be even lower than years ago, not higher.

• Spirit said: Changed conditions are right opposite - treshold could be even lower than years ago, not higher.

I was actually thinking this before, I believe the price limit could be lowered down to about $5...

• maxexcloo said: I was actually thinking this before, I believe the price limit could be lowered down to about $5...

Or even better yet, start listing $1/free offers...

• Or even better yet, start listing $1/free offers...

I guess there's a difference between "tat" and "reasonably priced".

This discussion has been closed.