Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why LEB's price criteria is limited to $7? Why not $10 or another? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Why LEB's price criteria is limited to $7? Why not $10 or another?

Comments

• @sleddog said: the cheapskates drive the market

That's always the case, unfortunately. My "main business" is something related to the cheapskates so I know a lot about them (again, unfortunately).

LowEndBox was indeed started for the tinkers though, not the "minimalists". Being minimalists means that the ultimate goal is being minimal, ridding the unnecessary, etc. However my initial goal was just about getting things to work with limited resources.

@vedran - yes LowEndBox may have been killing VPS providers, many ought not to be selling hosting in the first place...

• Forty years ago we were designing and building our own crystal radios.

Fixed :)

Of course that makes you older than me. Nice to finally know that someone around here has the title of old fart instead of just me.

Unfortunately (IMO) the cheapskates drive the market.

I have to wonder what percentage of those "cheapskates" are spammers, abusers and/or provider hoppers. Just another way that they screw things up for the rest of us. :(

• At worst, LEB facilitated their suicides by providing a place for them to advertise to people. Their business plans (or lack of) are what killed them. There are plenty of low-end companies who are thriving, and plenty of companies who don't feel the need to try to compete with low-end companies at all.

• drmike said: Of course that makes you older than me. Nice to finally know that someone around here has the title of old fart instead of just me.

But I'm not a cantankerous old fart.... :)

• drmike said: Nice to finally know that someone around here has the title of old fart instead of just me.

I thought you were in your early 40's, while I am too quickly approaching 50

drmike said: I have to wonder what percentage of those "cheapskates" are spammers, abusers and/or provider hoppers.

Provider hoppers are a pain, but there is nothing wrong with them, they pay their bill, they don't cause trouble, and at some point soon after joining cancel their service in a proper and respectful way. I don't think it is fair to lump them in with spammers and abusers.

• Looks to me that the dead poolers are the one setting up whole nodes and setting all plans to $7 or leb offers thinking it will pay for itself where as the brighter ones use the leb offers to fill gaps on nodes already in profit or at break even, well thats the way i work it anyway. Feel free to pipe up with your opinions i know you wanna lmao

• Francisco said: The idea would be to make a 2nd site all together, not just bolt it onto this one ;)

Hey I can run middleclassbox.com :(

• justinb said: Hey I can run middleclassbox.com :(

lol. this made me laugh :)

Thank you.

• Did not know we were so many old farts :) cantankerous or not :-P
    • Why so many (not the old farts) are fighting for more resources under $7, when a bit of quality would be welcome... No worry for most around here!
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

sleddog said: I think there's two end-user markets: (1) the cheapskates, (2) the minimalists.

The cheapskates want as much as possible for as little as possible.

The minimalists enjoy working with scarce resources. Forty years ago we were building crystal radios :)

If you "enjoy" working with limited resources, why don't you put 256 MB of RAM into your current desktop PC, and try enjoying "working with" that. Meanwhile I'll just cheapskatingly pass by a shop on the way from work and get myself a couple of 4GB DDR3 sticks for the price of a pizza, thank you very much.

It's never been about enjoying being limited, and if you do, you are just a masochist. It's always been about being clever with how to efficiently use whatever you have (can afford).

Thanked by 1tonkla
  • drmike said: provider hoppers. Just another way that they screw things up for the rest of us. :(

Umm.. what's wrong with provider hopper? I'm probably one of them, I mean I paid my services, don't cause any trouble, cancel before due date and if the service was good I recommends it to other people even I'm no longer client. I don't think I screw things up.

• I can sum this up.

Would you prefer to pay $10 for 512 or $7 for 512.

Thanked by 1rm_
  • @Daniel I prefer to pay $10 for 1GB Xen or KVM with acceptable performance and reliability.

• tonkla said: @Daniel I prefer to pay $10 for 1GB Xen or KVM with acceptable performance and reliability.

I'd prefer if you read the answers :)

• Go59954Go59954 Member
    edited October 2011

Nice idea in some sides, however, $7 looks somewhat relevant for almost everyone as maximum. Also it's the case for myself since the most expensive OpenVZ VPS I got, was for $15/m, since then all I got from LEB and few providers offers were less than $7 (specifically up to $6.9 not more).

• @Daniel You can get IPS free at a lot of datacenters..

edited October 2011

Daniel said: Would you prefer to pay $10 for 512 or $7 for 512.

Exactly, all you'll get is an endless stream of incredibly boring $10 256-512M offers. That'll be like encouraging a similtanuous price step-up across the whole site and the whole offer range.

• Go59954 said: Nice idea in some sides, however, $7 looks somewhat relevant for almost everyone as maximum. Also it's the case for myself since the most expensive OpenVZ VPS I got, was for $15/m, since then all I got from LEB and few providers offers were less than $7 (specifically up to $6.9 not more).

My Linode 512 is still going strong.

• Provider hoppers, while not ideal, shouldn't hurt a company. If a company needs a customer to stay for 6 months before they break even, they need to sort their business plan or make a minimum prepayment term. Instead of trying to be the absolute cheapest, try to be good, and people will pay for 6 months or a year up front.

• I think $7.00 is a good price point. As long as the provider knows how to manage the business this shouldn't be an issue. We are creating new plans specifically for this site, and so far we are pretty happy with them.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep
    edited October 2011

Kairus said: Still waiting on ISPs to give IPV6 support to all their customers. I still don't have IPV6 support on Comcast :/.

Same with Virgin Media, the UK equivalent of Comcast. They stop ipv6 tunnels too afaik.

• Because I'm cheap. And $7 is cheaper than $10. LOL.

• Infinity said: Same with Virgin Media, the UK equivalent of Comcast. They stop ipv6 tunnels too afaik.

Im with BT, and they block some of the IPv6 Tunnels

But Gogo6 (FreeNet6) works because it uses standard tcp protocols, although the Linux/Unix/BSD/OS X client takes a little while to compile and install.

• kiloservekiloserve Member
    edited October 2011

rm_ said: Stop whining and asking to have LEB changed to better suit your 'business'.

I didn't start this thread, this is a FORUM for discussion.

rm_ said: So dear hosts, if your greed pushes you to jump into the craze to chase the ones providing 2GB for $7 but you just can't pull it off while staying within $7, then how about YOU JUST FUCKING DON'T, and instead provide however much you can (1GB? fine) while staying within the LEB price.

Dear rm, please FUCKING READ the post, I said 1GB. Do you know the difference between one (1) and two (2)?

You don't see any 1GB Xen/KVM providers make it at $7. So LEB is stuck with <1GB Xen/KVM while having plenty of 1, 2GB OpenVZ.

Lol, I did not mention anything about 2GB, I said 1GB, ONE, (1).

Learn to read before you respond.

This is the THIRD time you're talking out of your ass at us RM, whats your problem? LEA removed your previous BS and you're still going on.

First you called us a SCAM out of nowhere; then you made up some stuff about our Linode benchmark and now you are trying to put words in our mouth that we did not say.

Now, you're spouting off about us jumping in the 2GB craze?

edited October 2011

1GB Xen/KVM providers have not been able to offer at $7.

Then you know what, then DON'T. "I have a problem with LEB, I am not able to provide 16 GB VPSes at $7, so I want LEB changed to allow my wonderful 16GB VPSes priced at $100." Wah wah wah.

And don't edit the post after I have replied to it already, that's just gross. http://ompldr.org/vYXF4cg/2011-10-10T184931Z-ks.png

edited October 2011

rm_ said: Then you know what, then DON'T

Why should I listen to you? You do not set the rules.

This is LEA's place, don't forget it.

This is a discussion on the pros and cons; read the title of the thread. There may be users who want a 1GB KVM/Xen but the only thing they can get is OpenVZ.

I stated my reasoning; you went apeshit as usual.

Feel free to discuss, but don't tell me what to do, it is not your place.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited October 2011

kiloserve said: 1GB Xen/KVM providers have not been able to offer at $7

And so what? No, serious - so what? Is this low end hosting plan for you?

"Name" of this site/community is very specific - LOW END BOX, so why would anyone benefit from another WHT vps offers clone? I would say that people which searching for vpses here have very specific needs - budget VPSes for low price. And if this isn't enough I can still pay some bucks more to get higher, non LEB featured plan from you as example, isn't this right?

Main problem which I see here is that some hosts forget what is this low end box about. It's not created to boost someones sales...

• rm_ said: And don't edit the post after I have replied to it already, that's just gross.

Lol, you just edited your post to add more, why can't I add more? Thinking we're the boss again, eh?

edited October 2011

Spirit said: And so what? No, serious - so what? Is this low end hosting plan for you?

We have 2GB offers here; those are even more than 1GB.

It's about getting a good value.

You see the huge response to 2GB offers, it seems there is a second set of readers who aren't going for 128MB boxes.

Why should Lowenders here have to go to WHT to get a 1GB Xen or KVM?

Just because the limit is set at $7.

Thanked by 1tonkla
  • kiloserve said: You don't see any 1GB Xen/KVM providers make it at $7. So LEB is stuck with <1GB Xen/KVM while having plenty of 1, 2GB OpenVZ.

I ran a $7 1GB KVM, (without overselling), and it went quite well.

This discussion has been closed.