Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why LEB's price criteria is limited to $7? Why not $10 or another? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Why LEB's price criteria is limited to $7? Why not $10 or another?

Comments

• kiloservekiloserve Member
    edited October 2011

Daniel said: I ran a $7 1GB KVM, (without overselling), and it went quite well.

Not to get personal Daniel, but as I understand it, you are selling off your business.

I haven't seen any provider be able to do it at Xen/KVM at $7 flat and make it. They're all dead pool or selling off.

It seems to me that the $7 encourages more OpenVZ and less Xen/KVM; I'd suspect 75%+ of the offers are OpenVZ because it's much easier to oversell and make the $7 limit.

• Somehow you fail to understand. LEA somewhere on his blog posted reasons why he made this site. I suggest you to find it and you may understand. Because same reasons made us to start regulary browsing this site.. from beginning. It's not about boosting your or anyones sales... but about all others which searching/discussing/etc about LOW END BOX offers.

You said "It's about getting a good value" - I think that you can get pretty good value with some futureshosting or linode.. for 30$.. but this has nothing to do with low end box. When we want/need such offers we go to WHT.

Thanked by 1MrAndroid
  • SpiritSpirit Member
    edited October 2011

kiloserve said: It seems to me that the $7 encourages more OpenVZ and less Xen/KVM; I'd suspect 75%+ of the offers are OpenVZ because it's much easier to oversell and make the $7 limit.

And so what? It's not like there would be only 10 or so.. hosts in this price range nowaday. Is there one, atleast one reason why "every" host would be able to get posted at LEB?

Once again... you want more, better, expensive? Go to WHT!

edited October 2011

Spirit saidLEA somewhere on his blog posted reasons why he made this site.

LEA, himself has asked on his blog why there aren't more KVM plans. $7 is the reason. The few companies that have tried to give some good resources on KVM/Xen AND stay under $7 have failed.

As a result, most of the offers are OpenVZ...not so much KVM and Xen.

Spirit said: I think that you can get pretty good value with some futureshosting or linode.. for 30$

You're talking about $30, I am talking about $10. Linode and Futurehosting don't do budget $10 for 1GB Xen/KVM plans.

$10 is still very low budget and still low end. I don't think it should go up to $20, $30.

But $10 would allow for more choices than just more OpenVZ overselling.

Thanked by 1tonkla
  • kiloserve said: Even at $10 that is low-end.

Yes. And 11$ too. And 12$ too... And 15$.. which almost every unmanaged host is able to do... also. But LEB is generally about very specific market. About getting small vps for small price.

(forget about those few high resources excesses which prove nothing)

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited October 2011

kiloserve said: Linode and Futurehosting don't do budget $10 for 1GB Xen/KVM plans.

Since when is 1GB Xen/KVM low budget vps anyway? It's perfectly fine to see 256MB Xen/KVM here. That's whole point. We don't go to LEB to find decent 1GB Xen/KVM vps but to find decent 128 - 256MB Xen. All rest is bonus - but generally we use WHT not LEB for finding 1GB VPSes.

edited October 2011

Spirit said: Since when is 1GB Xen/KVM low budget vps anyway? It's perfectly fine to see 256MB Xen/KVM here. That's whole point.

Since when is 2GB a low budget VPS?

Just look, the most popular offers here at "low end" box have been the 2GB offers. Even 96mb wrote about it on his blog.

It seems to me very little people care about being limited to 128MB but are rather looking at low end value.

9 out of the last 10 offers have been OpenVZ; raising to $10 could increase Xen/KVM options rather than the usual LEB rut of OpenVZ overselling.

Thanked by 1tonkla
  • SpiritSpirit Member
    edited October 2011

kiloserve said: It seems to me very little people care about being limited to 128MB but are rather looking at low end value.

Very little? Nonsense. Those 128MB built this community, not few 2GB excesses.

• Some of us are interested in both though :P.

edited October 2011

Spirit said: Nonsense. Those 128MB built this community, not few 2GB excesses

Nonsense. Times change.

Just look at the 2 most popular posts in the last 2 months and it is there in front of you.

A) ChicagoVPS 2GB
    B) Enetsouth 2GB

Those "few" seem to be the majority right now.

• It seems like you still don't get it.. :(

Some of us are paying hundreds or thousands of dollars per month on a dedicated server with multiple cores, gigabytes of memory and a huge disk array. Some of us, however, only have a few bucks spare each month to pay for a low end box…
    This website is dedicated for running websites and services on low end dedicated servers/virtual private servers, where you only need to pay a few dollars a month to get full root access. Most of them will be CPU, memory, space and bandwidth limited, but can still be a work horse if tuned properly.

• Kairus said: Some of us are interested in both though :P.

...of course you are but for as much as possible low price, isn't this correct? :)

• kiloserve said: Those "few" seem to be the majority right now.

No, it's just a few. Are you new here?

• Spirit said: It seems like you still don't get it.. :(

Lol, where does it say in there that a low end box is $7?

LEA himself just said

LowEndAdmin said: I honestly can't remember why $7 was set.

There is no definition that $7 is a low-end box but a $10 box is no longer a low-end box. :)

Thanked by 1tonkla
  • You're seller, I am buyer. You (ab)use LEB for boosting your sales I use LEB for finding decent budget low end box for small price. Hundreds or even more potential10$ offers don't interrest me. If they would, I would stay at WHT ignoring this site. Because those offers already exist at WHT. But no.. I am interrested in low end box. That's all.

I know that you as seller wont understand this but I atleast tryed...

edited October 2011

Spirit said: No, it's just a few. Are you new here?

Lol, where do you get this few? The facts are there.

Answer me this. When does the most popular become the "few"?

96MB wrote it here. A 96MB guy writing about a so popular 2GB plan on lowendbox?
    http://www.96mb.com/96mb-low-end-vps-review-part-xxvi-chicago-vps-enterprise/

I believe the 2 most popular posts of the last 2 months:

A) ChicagoVPS 2GB
    B) Enetsouth 2GB

Popular is the MAJORITY, less popular is the minority and the majority (by a very large margin) is going for 2GB plans.

Times have changed.

I suspect we'll see 3GB OpenVZ here before we see successful 1GB Xen/KVM due to the $7 limit.

• KairusKairus Member
    edited October 2011

Spirit said: Kairus said: Some of us are interested in both though :P.

...of course you are but for as much as possible low price, isn't this correct? :)

Of course! I only really need my 190MB VPS for my web server + mumble server, but who can resist a 2GB box for $7/mo that performs decently? Gives me an excuse to play more minecraft.

And Kiloserve, oh god 3GB VPSes for $7, now that'd be pushing the overselling.

• kiloserve said: the most popular

Most popular? It's matter of a week. We saw this hundreds times at LEB. Get real...

• NickWNickW Member
    edited October 2011

If anything, $7 is now too high considering the rate at which these things progress.

I know that the opinion of "Low End" will inflate over time, as it should. But the fact that $7 gets you 1GB or even 2GB is by no means a LEB by today's standards. Perhaps $5 would be a better mark.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited October 2011

Kairus said: but who can resist a 2GB box for $7/mo

Yes, of course... it would be great to get more such vpses for 7$. But it would interrest you LEB full of 10$ offers?

edited October 2011

Spirit said: Most popular? It's matter of a week. We saw this hundreds times at LEB. Get real...

No sir.

I said CHICAGOVPS as well, go check the date, it wasn't this week.

The 2 most popular posts of the last 3 months was:

ChicagoVPS 2GB
    Enetsouth 2GB

They might even be the most popular offerings of the last 6 months...not sure but I am sure they are way up there even if you consider the whole year.

This is no coincidence my friend.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited October 2011

Yes.. for 7$!

Oh, crap :/ I give up!

• XeoncrossXeoncross Member
    edited October 2011

Gary said: Instead of trying to be the absolute cheapest, try to be good, and people will pay for 6 months or a year up front.

Half of that is right. It seems a large percent of the "new" VPS owners need cheap (i.e. LEB is built for young people and people from counties outside the USA). However, 90% anyone that does it for business needs will not be interested in a VPS for less than $20 because it obviously will be sub-par, and they can't have that hurting their bottom line.

Every once-in-a-while someone like BuyVM will come along and bridge the gap to provide both reliable service and cheap prices.

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member
    edited October 2011

I see many arguing over $7 KVM/Xen but I also see the same people failing over the fact you are very limited in a Xen/KVM offer. Once disk is allocated, it is gone, use it or not, it cannot be shared with others. No amount of management needed, it is simply in use.

Lets look at some of the KVM offers for 1gb since that is what I am seeing the desire for, and from what seem to be the trusted players in the space, myself, BuyVM, and BitCable

Hostigation $15 - 25gb disk

BuyVM $20 - 60gb disk

BitCable $32 - 50gb disk (They do 50% off at LEB?, so $16)

I know Delta and myself are very active at managing the nodes, and from the praise I read about Bitcable can only assume they do the same. Some of the resources vary from provider to provider, but we are all providing a very similar value for the clients money, it is the clients needs that might differ on who will be a better fit.

We are all cutting a corner someplace to provide even these values, I use Dell drive pulls to save on the costs to build the array while keeping power draw at a minimum so more servers can be racked without additional purchase. Delta is re-purposing perfectly good, but older CPU's to keep his costs down, and BitCable has their secret sauce as well. my point is we are all providing a very similar service at a very similar price point, so until there is a major shift in memory pricing, 1gb is not going to be a safe buy on LEB for KVM, but 512mb might be.

Thanked by 1tonkla
  • I'm not in the mood to read all that and/or argue. I'll just mention that I could have sworn LEA mentioning the $7 price point as being the same as a decent fast food meal.

That's off the top of my head and I'm probably wrong.

edited October 2011

miTgiB said: I see many arguing over $7 KVM/Xen but I also see the same people failing over the fact you are very limited in a Xen/KVM offer.

That's exactly it. We all know how you can't oversell diskspace in KVM and Xen.

The overselling is happening in the OpenVZ space.

We don't see many quality Xen or KVM offers here because we know the $7 hard limit basically precludes anything larger than a 512MB Xen / KVM while allowing for 2GB and maybe even 3GB OpenVZ.

Meanwhile, to get a 1GB Xen/KVM, you have to run to WHT because lowenders don't want to pay <$10 for a 1GB Xen/KVM?

You can get 2GB OpenVZ boxes on the frontpage of LEB, but you can't even a 1GB Xen/KVM because the limit is $7 instead of $10.

It seems like every day it's just more OpenVZ offers from different providers.

This is LEA's place and he makes the rules. Just my $.02 in that I can't see the harm in raising the limit to $10 if it gets in a more variety of offers and more Xen/KVM VPS instead of the usual OpenVZ.

• Could you get a 1GB Xen for $10 though?

• I can't see why people are still arguing about that $7 threshold.

@kiloserve -- thanks for the good services you have provided to your customers, but LowEndBox was definitely NOT about you and other providers. You are mis-quoting me here. I said I can't remember the exact reason but I consider it a good price point. For the sake of being "low end" I would rather move it lower rather than higher.

On the other hand people are arguing for a higher threshold so "more quality offers can be listed". Wouldn't that just turn LowEndBox into yet another webhosting forum? Why would I want to do that? People can do their own research on WHT for managed, or "quality", or "expensive" services. People come to LowEndBox because they are either cheapskates or frugal with their server resources.

Thanked by 3tonkla kylix Indic
  • drmike said: Could you get a 1GB Xen for $10 though?

I am sure it can be done for less than $10...just not at $7.

edited October 2011

LowEndAdmin said: Why would I want to do that? People can do their own research on WHT for managed, or "quality", or "expensive" services.

Quality can be a by-product, for me it is more about variety.

9 out of the last 10 offers were OpenVZ.

If it were a few dollars higher, it could be more Xen/KVM.

The absence of 1GB Xen/KVM providers can be linked to the $7. If it were a couple bucks more, you'd have 1GB Xen/KVM along with the 2GB OpenVZ.

We thank you for letting us have a forum to speak in. If it were left at $7; it's not a problem for us, we purposely make smaller plans so it can fit under $7. We are just debating the merits of more Xen/HVM options available if it were raised to $10.

And not only am I speaking from a seller's standpoint, as a buyer I too would like to buy a few 1GB KVM/Xen servers < $10. There just aren't any...and I'm stuck buying OpenVZ.

Thanked by 1tonkla
This discussion has been closed.