Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WebHostingTalk strange administration - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

WebHostingTalk strange administration

124»

Comments

• mpkossen said: I was at fault all along, yes. It did not, however, look like that when I created this thread nor when I received their ticket. I still don't know who 'hansvanr' (or whatever it was) is and how/why they raised this point right now.

How do you know you were at fault? From what I understand it was not an IP match but the email address matched the other account. How would your email end up with an unknown account?

• @alessio said:
    How do you know you were at fault? From what I understand it was not an IP match but the email address matched the other account. How would your email end up with an unknown account?

When I registered my "current" account 'mpkossen' I used an e-mail address that was used in my "old" account. Apparently, the e-mail address on the old account changed at some time, which I was unaware of, which is why I could register 'mpkossen' with the e-mail address used for the "old" account.

This is several years ago, so I honestly don't remember all the ins and outs. I still think it's weird this "suddenly" popped up.

• Not all that weird. Maybe they're looking to prune their user list of duplicates and deadwood.

• @ricardo said:
    Not all that weird. Maybe they're looking to prune their user list of duplicates and deadwood.

Once every 3-4 years? That'd be sloppy for a place with a one-account-only policy. We notice dual accounts faster than that.

• mpkossen said: an e-mail address that was used in my "old" account.

So is the other account your old one or not? If so why are you surprised and if not how would it get associated with an unrelated third party account?

mpkossen said: the e-mail address on the old account changed at some time

What exactly do you mean? How does an email address "change"?

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

I have an account there since 2006. Since i work for uncle I never visited there, they might consider it something wrong, dunno, maybe I am even banned :)

• @jbiloh said:
    Thing with Wht is that most the activity is because hosts want to have their signatures seen. I find that somewhat aggravating.. Perfect example is if someone asks for a quote or info on wht they'll receive 20 responses all saying "What are your needs" etc.

This! Every post seems to consist of a provider not even paying attention to the original post and posting something completely off topic or of no help or no value just to have their signature there.

• LeeLee Veteran

nleibert said: something completely off topic or of no help or no value just to have their signature there.

This is a pain I admit, however it's happening here too.

Thanked by 1vRozenSch00n
  • perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited November 2014

LET wouldn't be LET without trolling. That's big reason I like it here more. Also WHT is too big, not much "community".

Thanked by 1coolice
  • perennate said: Also WHT is too big, "not much community".

Not really. Only 6x times more than LET.

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

6x is a lot.

• Not to mention the amount of fake user accounts that probably comprise the total member count of LET

• DylanDylan Member
    edited November 2014

Total user accounts is a relatively worthless metric, anyways. Total posts is the one you want to look at. WHT has 8,492,446 posts in 1,296,788 threads. I have no idea about LET (though if URL queries mean anything, I guess this is post 779,605 in thread 36,821?).

Comparing the two is kinda silly though since this is a niche website versus WHT's total market.

Thanked by 1_lei
  • slinkyslinky Member

I've been in the Internet industry for over 20 years and an account at WebHostingTalk for practically since it began. I too have apparently been banned at WebHostingTalk after bear decided to needlessly hand me an infraction as a result of his incompetence. When I sent an email to WHT support to discuss the silliness, they basically were playing games with me that nobody said the ban was permanent, etc. which I took was their childish desire for me to beg for forgiveness for their own problems. I decided to no longer spend money there and recommend to clients and those who follow me (I'm a visible person in the industry) not to bother with WebHostingTalk.

To top it off the WHT admins appear not to have taken my recommendation on fixing some of their settings for their software which I'm quite sure are misconfigured. Instead they told me some other story which seems to contradict the documentation I've found. I wouldn't rely on all the metrics there, which also includes numerous thousands of ads threads.

While I could contact people above their admin levels about the pitiful kindergarden environment, I decided that WebHostingTalk isn't worth it. It's a great example of people who have the ability to waste everyone's time and tarnish their own reputation. There are plenty of other options these days, such as this one.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

Wow, mate this is a 3 year necro. Seriously?

Thanked by 2Aidan sayem314
  • slinkyslinky Member

I added to the repository of information, no more no less. Try not to let the date issue throw you too out of whack. For a moment I didn't realize you had replied and only saw your signature.

• jvnadrjvnadr Member

@slinky You are new to LET. We all don't like necroing threads. Next time, instead of that, open a new thread and, if necessary, include a reference to the archived discussion.

• DamianDamian Member

slinky said: I've been in the Internet industry for over 20 years and

....apparently doesn't understand that necro'ing threads is generally frowned upon on every forum.

• slinkyslinky Member
    edited June 2017

@Damian said:

....apparently doesn't understand that necro'ing threads is generally frowned upon on every forum.<<

Apparently you prefer to be snide and parrot what you hear about protocol. Directing a response to a person in an old conversation is usually the crux of the matter. An individual poster may have left, will not respond. Adding current information generally is a different matter, such as a confirmation the practice is still ongoing.

• slinkyslinky Member
    edited June 2017

@jvnadr said:
    @slinky You are new to LET. We all don't like necroing threads. Next time, instead of that, open a new thread and, if necessary, include a reference to the archived discussion.

I can see we're piling on. I'll send in a request to lock this thread for you guys and move onwards. I can see it has caused quite a problem for some of you. Have a good day.

• XenosXenos Member
    edited June 2017

@slinky Welcome to LET. You're not going to make any friends here by insulting long term members. We're rate R here and take no shit. Change your attitude or find your way out.

• FredQcFredQc Member

Well, that escalated quickly.

• slinky said: I can see we're piling on. I'll send in a request to lock this thread for you guys and move onwards. I can see it has caused quite a problem for some of you. Have a good day.

Not a problem, although please keep an eye on old threads - It's often better to make a new thread if it's this old.

Thread closed on request.

This discussion has been closed.