Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you consider yourself a quality top shelf provider? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Do you consider yourself a quality top shelf provider?

Comments

• @vRozenSch00n said:
    He is part of your team, isn't he?

Don't think he is. Humza is/was, though.

Thanked by 1vRozenSch00n
  • @mpkossen see, my brain isn't back 100%. There are a lots of things that I don't remember :(

Thanked by 1mpkossen
  • DalekOfSkaro said: Hardware ownership is also irrelevant. There is absolutely nothing wrong with renting servers from a reliable datacenter and deploying them to customers. As long as the hardware is decent quality and the network is stable, you, as a consumer, will be happy. You should be more concerned with whether or not the hosting provider is a legitimate and registered business other than hardware ownership.

Well said. As a provider of dedicated servers that is certainly the goal in the service we provide. There should be no issue taking one of our servers, adding your own value to it (administration/management, technical skills, etc) and reselling it to your own user base.

Similarly, I wouldn't touch a datacenter with a 10 foot pole. We are far happier leasing private space in a quality facility and not having to deal with utility companies, HVAC, generators, UPS's, water systems, etc, etc.

• DalekOfSkaro said: Hardware ownership is also irrelevant.

Thing is that everyone with $200 can rent a server and start own business so it may be relevant in month or two when it's need to pay next invoice.

TarballZ said: A reliable provider has to be able to offer more than one location

Not so sure about this one. Single location can be top notch owned DC per example.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited October 2014

As far I I am concerned there are only 3 top shelf providers that have ever had packages advertised on or came in the provider poll on LET/B: Leaseweb, DO, Vultr anyone else that thinks they are top shelf here is dreaming.

On the flip side with the prices you pay here if your after a top shelf provider your an idiot or have stupid expectations, answering tickets fast does not a top shelf provider make.

• @Rockster said:
    Not so sure about this one. Single location can be top notch owned DC per example.

It's a valid point, however I was thinking strictly of VPS and Cloud providers when I wrote up the intro to this discussion. This is because unless your single location is really good you're doomed to fail. RamNode for example started out in Atlanta with owned hardware, solid network, one of the very first high performance providers that had blazing
    blazing fast SSDs and IPv6 early on. Now years later they expanded and are successful. Their success is attributed to making smart decisions, having capital and the right attitude towards the customer.

Looking over this thread so far I see a bunch of excuses and explanations why this or that doesn't/can't happen or isn't happening. This leads me to believe that most providers here do this as a hobby and only the ones in the top providers list can be taken seriously. Hence my reference to teenagers running hosting businesses, because for the most part they are the only ones who have the time for a hobby like this and are short on cash to cover their bills.

• Maybe 1 or 2 providers around here can fall into the category.

Many more fall into the "more than adequate" category.

Some just fail at being an adequate host.

Great uptime, decent connectivity, fair and high availability of resources... and hopefully a decent price. It's not really for the provider to decide or admit to.

• If you watch CNBC this week they told that Amazon is generating loses on their cloud service :)

https://gigaom.com/2014/10/26/can-amazon-keep-investing-in-aws-as-losses-mount/

and OP what I consider top-shelf I'm sure you cannot pay for it and do not want to pay...

Firehost - 1 CPU - 1 GB RAM 30 GB SAS ~ $350 a month

http://www.firehost.com/price-structure

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited October 2014

I would not count DO among the top ones. Sure, better than most here, certainly large and well funded, but everything they did with that kind of resources could have been done twice more/better by quite a few people here.
    I judge quality of entrepreneurship/people by the achievement divided by funding equation. Once you manage 900 days uptime with almost no unhappy customers, you are at a certain level few can hope to reach, even among the top funded people.
    Bigger=/=better, actually, better SHOULD mean smaller, I find best accommodation and care at small family run "bed and breakfast" (I dont know how are they called, we call them pensiuni or cabane) where each employee knows every corner and most customers keep coming back. There might be some broken lamp or the TV is old CRT one (who the heck goes in vacation to watch TV or stay up at night), and that is probably because you treat the host like a friend and dont want to upset them for such small things so they have no idea because they rarely come and clean during the night.
    When you break the customer/business relation and all parties become people, making a living becomes fun and enjoyable, you do not feel afraid people will complain to your boss and in return you try not to disappoint the nice ones because in time you are at a point where you can select the nice ones only and still have decent prices and make a decent income.
    World economy needs more of these businesses, people would be happier, in better health, both mentally and physically, will enjoy all their life, not only a few hours a day at most when they can be at home with their family and no quarrel caused by accumulated frustration at work is in progress. We would be free to be human beings instead of robots programmed to consume and destroy.

• I appreciate the input of those who took this thread seriously and contributed meaningful information to it, yet at the same time I couldn't give a flying fuck about those who we're butthurt and got all defensive by making nonsensical comments or posting retarded memes. Thank you folks...

• @TarballZ said:
    I appreciate the input of those who took this thread seriously and contributed meaningful information to it, yet at the same time I couldn't give a flying fuck about those who we're butthurt and got all defensive by making nonsensical comments or posting retarded memes. Thank you folks...

Everyone did take this thread seriously, you're just a big hypocrite. You complained about providers not filtering what they say, and here you are mouthing off like an 8 year old child with bad parenting.

• @Pwner said:

The thread is done with , we can't do anything about it if someone thinks a single node is not much of a concern when it comes to a provider. Everyone has their own opnions all we had to do was to answer his so-called QUESTION so that he could get a so-called ANSWER.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

you don't get a top shelf car for below the bottom shelf money, some hosts here just do a good impression of it.

Thanked by 1vRozenSch00n
  • At the end of the day, 9 times out of 10 you do get what you pay for. If you want an amazing provider with 10 mins average responses and such, you will have to pay for it. I and a lot of other hosts are small little businesses where we have the time to provide a service for others, and do so at a good price. If you want the best of the best, pay for it ;)

• @Pwner said:
    Everyone did take this thread seriously, you're just a big hypocrite. You complained about providers not filtering what they say, and here you are mouthing off like an 8 year old child with bad parenting.

Holly fucking boobies on a boobie trap, you got this all wrong mate. I'm nobody representing nobody, not even myself. On the flip side a provider not watching what he says could cost him his business. And get that stick out of your but, because if you can't handle a few rough words then maybe you shouldn't read this forum and post on it. LET is far from this bastion of well behaved people and sanity that some people lately are pretending it is.

@VPSRAIDSolutions said:
    The thread is done with , we can't do anything about it if someone thinks a single node is not much of a concern when it comes to a provider. Everyone has their own opnions all we had to do was to answer his so-called QUESTION so that he could get a so-called ANSWER.

Remember, Clearasil ain't that much and for your ADD get the doctor to prescribe you some Aderol. Obviously you have a very short attention span.

• I'd rather refrain from further addressing him if I were you @Pwner

• @TarballZ said:
    Holly fucking boobies on a boobie trap, you got this all wrong mate. I'm nobody representing nobody, not even myself. On the flip side a provider not watching what he says could cost him his business. And get that stick out of your but, because if you can't handle a few rough words then maybe you shouldn't read this forum and post on it. LET is far from this bastion of well behaved people and sanity that some people lately are pretending it is.

You don't have to represent anyone to have some common decency. From what I have read today all you have been looking to do is stick a bad name to providers. If you want a top of the line provider, you probably wont find one on LET, LET companies 9 times out of 10 are the smaller starting businesses.

Yes, we have to be careful what we say, but no provider is going to let someone walk all over them, and as both a business and client to some of the businesses here, I'd be less likely to trust them and go with them as a host if they let people like you just get their own way, bitch and harass them. So please, if you cant be nice, there is no place for you here.

Thanked by 1VPSRAIDSolutions
  • eddynetwebeddynetweb Member
    edited October 2014

@Infinity said:
    Just under 2 years to go. I've just realised that I've spent all of my teenage years around LE*. I've been here since I was 13, and now I'm 17. What a life. ;d

Aging is sad. D:

• edited October 2014

@SNetworks1 said:
    Yes, we have to be careful what we say, but no provider is going to let someone walk all over them, and as both a business and client to some of the businesses here, I'd be less likely to trust them and go with them as a host if they let people like you just get their own way, bitch and harass them. So please, if you cant be nice, there is no place for you here.

Finally someone who understands me ! God damn world lol. By the way are you by any chance the SN1 they keep referring me to ?

• No idea, We do shorten ourselves to SN and our twitter is @SNetworks1 so it is possible, but I have no idea im afraid.

• Who cares you caught the point ! Thats what is important for as far as im concerned !

• @SNetworks1 said:

Far be it from me to try and stick it to providers. @VPSRAIDSolutions is constantly whoring for attention so I tried to give it to him in large quantities. Too bad he doesn't get the point. Starting a bunch of threads and constantly involving himself in everyone else's business is not how he can get more customers but rather attract negative attention. If I have to point this out then he's a lost cause. You attract customers by offering a solid product backed by solid hardware, network, support and capital. I guess that's why none of the "A" listers from the top providers poll posted here today, because they're bussy working. Get it Mr. VPSRAIDSolutions? Those guys have actual customers.

Thanked by 1mpkossen
  • @TarballZ said:
    Far be it from me to try and stick it to providers. VPSRAIDSolutions is constantly whoring for attention so I tried to give it to him in large quantities. Too bad he doesn't get the point. Starting a bunch of threads and constantly involving himself in everyone else's business is not how he can get more customers but rather attract negative attention. If I have to point this out then he's a lost cause. You attract customers by offering a solid product backed by solid hardware, network, support and capital. I guess that's why none of the "A" listers from the top providers poll posted here today, because they're bussy working. Get it Mr. VPSRAIDSolutions? Those guys have actual customers.

Yes, you have given him attention, and thats your choice to do so or not to do so. The point I am trying to make is that from my point of view (Both Host and User) you have not done yourself any favors. I agree that @VPSRAIDSolutions does get involved in a lot of threads, some probably are absolutely nothing to do with him, but at the end of the day it is a public forums. If (s)he has the time to do it then there shouldn't be anything wrong with doing so.

I spend my day answering support tickets and debugging problems, but I still am active on here, there shouldn't be any assumptions that anyone does or does not work all day. For all we know this sort of thing could be someones full time job (Yes, unlikely with budget providers).

I also fully agree on how you attract clients, the only thing I think you did forget from that list was good support, because things do go wrong, that will always happen, and support is there to fix it.

We as hosts have to be careful what we say, but so do members, because at the end of the day, a company can choose to trade with you, some companies may choose to spend less time on people that do just go on public forums to make a point out of another host...

• @TarballZ said:
    Far be it from me to try and stick it to providers. VPSRAIDSolutions is constantly whoring for attention so I tried to give it to him in large quantities. Too bad he doesn't get the point. Starting a bunch of threads and constantly involving himself in everyone else's business is not how he can get more customers but rather attract negative attention. If I have to point this out then he's a lost cause. You attract customers by offering a solid product backed by solid hardware, network, support and capital. I guess that's why none of the "A" listers from the top providers poll posted here today, because they're bussy working. Get it Mr. VPSRAIDSolutions? Those guys have actual customers.

And what exactly have you been contributing to this forum within the past 2 weeks of you're registration besides rude words and immature behavor?

• This thread is still boring after a couple of beers.

• @Pwner said:
    And what exactly have you been contributing to this forum within the past 2 weeks of you're registration besides rude words and immature behavor?

I contributed more than you have and also made the effort to read some of the older threads. Some interesting history here, really heavy stuff. If you're so borred that you feel the need to chime in just to pass the time, I suggest you get a green or red marker, make a thick dot on a wall, preferably concrete, and hit your head against the wall until the dot is deleted. On second thought I would go with green...

@SNetworks1 I mentioned support in my post. Thanks for your comments and kind words though, much appreciated :-)

• AFAIK many providers here (or we can say mostly) are small businesses.

Some of them are already settled whereas the business is their main income and they continue to grow in terms of business and technical skills, and they do make a fortune.

Some of them are struggling so they have to have another job in larger companies to make ends meet, while continuing their learning process by doing.

Some of them are starters who have quite some experience as technical supports, SysAdmins, or Programmers who are lured to jump into the business, looking up at the fact that their employer can make a fortune out of their business, they usually planned the endeavor properly before jumping to the same business.

Some of them are hobbyists whose initial ideas are to support their communities, but in time it has grown to be a successful and profitable business.

Some of them are still in school and struggling to enhance their business and technical skills while trying to make some money, while adding practical experience into their portfolio.

Some of them are still in school and the intention to be a provider is to show off to their milieu that they can make money and have title as CEO, Director, Manager or whatever, even though their actual income and expenses comes from mom and dad.

I personally hope that forum like LET, VPSBoard, and others can be a healthy place, an incubator for small business to grow, and hobbyist to find good deals and information.

Cheers :)

Thanked by 2TarballZ Maounique
  • @TarballZ said:
    SNetworks1 I mentioned support in my post. Thanks for your comments and kind words though, much appreciated :-)

So you did, I completely missed that when I first read through, apologies there.

Thanked by 1TarballZ
  • @TarballZ said:
    I contributed more than you have and also made the effort to read some of the older threads. Some interesting history here, really heavy stuff. If you're so borred that you feel the need to chime in just to pass the time, I suggest you get a green or red marker, make a thick dot on a wall, preferably concrete, and hit your head against the wall until the dot is deleted. On second thought I would go with green...

Pretty sure my dog's excrement has contributed more positively than any of the posts you've made since your arrival.

Thanked by 2J1021 TriDoxiuM
  • @Pwner said:
    Pretty sure my dog's excrement has contributed more positively than any of the posts you've made since your arrival.

Grow up. Maybe VPSRAIDSolutions can share some of his Clearasil and bond with you while you both tweak his one and only node.

This discussion has been closed.