Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LET and CF are up to something - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

LET and CF are up to something

Comments

• Is it still happening now?

• I can access now.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

Corey said: I can access now.

Ok great. Thanks for your help with this.

• jbiloh said: Ok great. Thanks for your help with this.

No probs.

• nocomnocom Member
    edited October 2014

522 via wienna host problem - without www

with www ok

• @Corey said:
    I can access now.

Really? I can't :-(

cassa said: Really? I can't :-(

From what IP are you trying to access it?

Does http://lowendtalk.com or www.lowendtalk.com work?

• cassa said: Really? I can't :-(

What error are you getting.

• Still have to sue a proxy........

• I can view about 5 pages without proxy then I get CF errors.

• Same here - visit LET, open 5-6 new tabs from LET (i.e. open several threads in new tabs) - bam, this iP can no longer access LET, cloudflare 522 error.

Try from a different IP - works, make several quick connections to LET - no longer works for an hour or so.

Tried this from several different networks with different results. From Bulgaria, Germany or Netherlands this blocking occurs.

From Italy, USA or Japan - no blocking.

Here is a script to test it:

for i in seq 1 20 ; do wget -O/dev/null http://www.lowendtalk.com ; done
  • Still getting regular errors.

@mkpossen @Spirit @jbiloh, what does Cloudflare say about this?

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

I have had to use http://www.proxybrowsing.com/ to get access otherwise it has been down for 6 days, many people have the same issue.

My theory, in some half arsed attempt to mitigate the DDOS attack they badly collected some IP's put them in an ACL to drop the traffic but because it was done badly it has essentially IP banned 50% of the user base..

::slow clap::

Thanked by 1zafouhar
  • @alessio I do not have any info regarding LET infrastructure. Consider me as a moderator with longer title ;-)

Thanked by 1vRozenSch00n

We will take another look at this, thanks for the updates guys.

• AnthonySmith said: My theory, in some half arsed attempt to mitigate the DDOS attack they badly collected some IP's put them in an ACL to drop the traffic but because it was done badly it has essentially IP banned 50% of the user base..

What would make you think so? It is very erratic but it appears Cloudflare simply cant connect (for whatever reason) from time to time.

@Spirit said:
    alessio I do not have any info regarding LET infrastructure. Consider me as a moderator with longer title ;-)

So an admin h.c. :)

• Cloudflare screwed me up when I got slammed. Long story short the dns is great, disable cloud functions and you should be fine. GZIP and cache tweaking with a good vps provider with a rack solid NOC is far better than a CDN that cannot mirror you on the fly. Mirror @ the same noc and have control pf your cache flushes and or fail over..
    IMHO.

Thanked by 1linuxthefish

@alessio because I am blocked every time without fail from my own IP but via vpn/proxy it is fine every time without fail and other people are having the same issue, the common ground... the IP, given that a DDOS attack has been ongoing it stands to reason that this is probably the reason.

• AnthonySmith said: because I am blocked every time without fail from my own IP but via vpn/proxy it is fine every time without fail and other people are having the same issue, the common ground... the IP, given that a DDOS attack has been ongoing it stands to reason that this is probably the reason.

So you mean you cannot access it at all? Have you checked the DNS records you resolve? Assuming you access it via Cloudflare, the block would need to happen there and thats probably unlikely.

• I am still not able to get through even with or without www.
    Its quiet a shame that it takes this long to get things fixed :/

• PremiumN said: I am still not able to get through even with or without www. Its quiet a shame that it takes this long to get things fixed :/

Agreed. Do they both resolve to the same records for you? Do you get a Cloudflare error?

• @alessio said:
    Agreed. Do they both resolve to the same records for you? Do you get a Cloudflare error?

Yes & Yes

@alessio that correct not at all, dns resolved fine, other sites behind CF are fine, CF does pass the visitor IP forward though so based on the fact other can access it and I can via a different IP is is fairly likely that my IP (along with many others) are being blocked at CC's side.

• AnthonySmith said: that correct not at all

Would you care to elaborate what you call incorrect and not just make random accusations?

AnthonySmith said: other sites behind CF are fine, CF does pass the visitor IP forward though so based on the fact other can access it and I can via a different IP is is fairly likely that my IP (along with many others) are being blocked at CC's side.

And how do you explain the fact that it generally works and only occasionally times out? Are you saying LET uses a randomiser to block addresses on an HTTP level?

What about now?

• @jbiloh said:
    What about now?

Right now it works, but so it did before and suddenly stopped only to work after a while again ....

• @jbiloh said:
    What about now?

Same error.

• @PremiumN said:
    Same error.

@jbiloh, could it then be that you do block certain proxied requests from Cloudclare based on the reported IP address?

@alessio you missunderstand me, I meant to say "Yes it does not work at all" meaning from my own IP.

I don't try to explain the fact it randomly works as that is not my experience for me it never works.

Its not a random accusation, it is a theory based on direct experience.

@jbiloh still not working unless I use a proxy.