Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Online Labs - 4 ARM cores deployed in 10 secs - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Online Labs - 4 ARM cores deployed in 10 secs

Comments

• rm_ said: Each individual core of the four is much slower than the Via Nano.

Unixbench scored 438 on my Kidechire (Via Nano U2250) and 464 on an ARM cloud instance.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

kcaj said: Unixbench scored 438 on my Kidechire (Via Nano U2250) and 464 on an ARM cloud instance.

But you did run it with 4 threads on the ARM server?

dd if=/dev/zero bs=1M count=512 | md5sum
    ARM = 86 MB/sec
    Nano = 184 MB/sec
  • J1021J1021 Member
    edited January 2015

rm_ said: But you did run it with 4 threads on the ARM server?

Oo, no idea, I used ServerBear.

EDIT: For the ARM server.

• I see thanks to you all :) I think would sound really interesting.

@kcaj I only scored 312. Anyway, I don't care as it's used as a backupserver and the other one as a TOR relay :)

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited January 2015

I'm pretty excited about it. It's not everything I would like it to be right now (network is pretty bad for me), but I find it conceptually more interesting than their other products. Priced to rival the VPS industry this could end up being what really puts them on the map for recognition beyond certain circles.

• dragon1993dragon1993 Member
    edited January 2015

kcaj said: Unixbench scored 438 on my Kidechire (Via Nano U2250) and 464 on an ARM cloud instance.

Yes, but ARM IO is bad, and 1 core ~400 point better that 4 core 400 point.
    I have few compatibility problem, with ARM.
    I not pay for it.

ServerBear
    VIA
    ARM

ARM:

root@squid:~# ioping -c 10 /
    4.0 KiB from / (ext4 /dev/nbd0): request=1 time=2.4 ms
    4.0 KiB from / (ext4 /dev/nbd0): request=2 time=1.2 ms
    4.0 KiB from / (ext4 /dev/nbd0): request=3 time=1.2 ms
    4.0 KiB from / (ext4 /dev/nbd0): request=4 time=1.2 ms
    4.0 KiB from / (ext4 /dev/nbd0): request=5 time=1.1 ms
    4.0 KiB from / (ext4 /dev/nbd0): request=6 time=1.4 ms
    4.0 KiB from / (ext4 /dev/nbd0): request=7 time=1.1 ms
    4.0 KiB from / (ext4 /dev/nbd0): request=8 time=1.2 ms
    4.0 KiB from / (ext4 /dev/nbd0): request=9 time=1.1 ms
    4.0 KiB from / (ext4 /dev/nbd0): request=10 time=1.9 ms

--- / (ext4 /dev/nbd0) ioping statistics ---
    10 requests completed in 9.0 s, 727 iops, 2.8 MiB/s
    min/avg/max/mdev = 1.1 ms / 1.4 ms / 2.4 ms / 413 us

root@squid:~# ioping -c 10 /mnt
    4.0 KiB from /mnt (ext4 /dev/nbd1): request=1 time=2.0 ms
    4.0 KiB from /mnt (ext4 /dev/nbd1): request=2 time=1.4 ms
    4.0 KiB from /mnt (ext4 /dev/nbd1): request=3 time=1.2 ms
    4.0 KiB from /mnt (ext4 /dev/nbd1): request=4 time=1.3 ms
    4.0 KiB from /mnt (ext4 /dev/nbd1): request=5 time=1.4 ms
    4.0 KiB from /mnt (ext4 /dev/nbd1): request=6 time=1.2 ms
    4.0 KiB from /mnt (ext4 /dev/nbd1): request=7 time=1.2 ms
    4.0 KiB from /mnt (ext4 /dev/nbd1): request=8 time=1.2 ms
    4.0 KiB from /mnt (ext4 /dev/nbd1): request=9 time=1.2 ms
    4.0 KiB from /mnt (ext4 /dev/nbd1): request=10 time=1.4 ms

--- /mnt (ext4 /dev/nbd1) ioping statistics ---
    10 requests completed in 9.0 s, 741 iops, 2.9 MiB/s
    min/avg/max/mdev = 1.2 ms / 1.3 ms / 2.0 ms / 224 us

• xyzxyz Member

^ Be aware that their I/O is actually over a network and not a local disk as well. Presumably the SSD storage would give better IOPS than the 2-6 EUR HDD servers, but I've never tested.

Anyone else got an email requesting phone verification? The email asks you to enter in your phone number within 72 hours (of the email, which I got a few days ago) or they'll cancel the service. If the final service requires this, it'll certainly be a disincentive for me to use it. Hopefully this doesn't filter down to the other Online.net offerings.

• @xyz said:
    ^ Be aware that their I/O is actually over a network and not a local disk as well. Presumably the SSD storage would give better IOPS than the 2-6 EUR HDD servers, but I've never tested.

Anyone else got an email requesting phone verification? The email asks you to enter in your phone number within 72 hours (of the email, which I got a few days ago) or they'll cancel the service. If the final service requires this, it'll certainly be a disincentive for me to use it. Hopefully this doesn't filter down to the other Online.net offerings.

Probably thinking that because these cloud servers are going to be low priced without a setup fee that they need some form of verification to prevent abuse.

• surprised they didnt add a small amount of eMMC into these units

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

Its nice to see an idea you've had made into a real thing :)

• xyzxyz Member

@kcaj said:
    Probably thinking that because these cloud servers are going to be low priced without a setup fee that they need some form of verification to prevent abuse.

Hmm interesting. They already have a verification policy for their regular servers, which I'm guessing they won't carry over to their Cloud servers.

Tried using an online trash SMS number. First one I tried was already used by someone else, but the second one I tried seemed to verify fine.

• DylanDylan Member
    edited January 2015

I had trouble verifying a US mobile number (not getting the text) and submitted a ticket -- apparently there's a known issue, so don't worry if you run into a problem:

Online Labs team 2015-01-25 22:32:22

Hello,

We are having problems with sending SMS to some countries and/or via some carriers.

For us to investigate the issue, could you provide: * your country
    * your phone carrier

For now, don't worry about the 72 hours deadline, we will not shutdown servers immediately due to this problem.

We will update this ticket once we get things back in order.

Thanks for your report.

• Successfully verified using SMS via VOIP.

xyz said: They already have a verification policy for their regular servers, which I'm guessing they won't carry over to their Cloud servers.

It is utterly puzzling what on Earth makes you think that.

• xyzxyz Member

@rm_ said:
    It is utterly puzzling what on Earth makes you think that.

I don't. I should've clarified that it may be a possible conclusion if they decide to require phone verification in the end. It seems a little unnecessary to require passport, utility bill and phone verification if your aim is to disrupt the existing, well established, cloud market.
    At the moment, they only require phone verification.

xyz said: require passport, utility bill and phone verification

Online.net never required that. Maybe you're mistaking them with OVH?

xyz said: At the moment, they only require phone verification.

And they always required that on the dedi offer, so I wonder why do you expect the cloud panel to not have the verification.

Thanked by 2netomx TarZZ92
  • netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Stupid me, stopped my server and now it can't be allocated :(

• @TarZZ92 said:
    surprised they didnt add a small amount of eMMC into these units

They do (well better than) the 20gb SSD's are local, and hardwired to the board that each dedi has.

• @rm_ said:
    And they always required that on the dedi offer, so I wonder why do you expect the cloud panel to not have the verification.

Online.net never required that.

I needed to submit my ID to get over 2 servers and business support with them.

• frank said: They do (well better than) the 20gb SSD's are local, and hardwired to the board that each dedi has.

it does not appear to be. the SSD is probably network attached too.

edited January 2015

TarZZ92 said: the SSD is probably network attached too.

Yes it is, the root filesystem is on /dev/nbd0, where NBD means network block device.
    And there is matching outgoing network activity when you run the usual "dd" write test.

• xyzxyz Member
    edited January 2015

@rm_ said:
    Online.net never required that. Maybe you're mistaking them with OVH?

Nope, Online.net requested ID verification when I signed up (12 months ago).
    http://i.imgur.com/Y7HHckh.png
    (made a mistake about address verification, oops)

I never got asked for phone verification before, and still haven't on my main Online.net account.

Maybe they've changed all this now?

• xyz said: Nope, Online.net requested ID verification when I signed up (12 months ago).

then something must have caused this (like high risk country & proxy)

this is the first i heard of them asking for this.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

I was not asked for anything, but I used my company to register.

• @TarZZ92 said:

Pretty sure they ask for it when you start renting more than €xx a month.

• xyzxyz Member

Actually, I'm starting to remember things. I believe during the time I ordered, they were having a lot of fraud issues going on, and they suspended most international payments (payment via CC was unavailable - could only pay via PayPal). Maybe that's why they required verification.

Sorry my bad - so Online.net servers don't require any verification now?

• frankfrank Member
    edited January 2015

@rm_ said:
    Yes it is, the root filesystem is on /dev/nbd0, where NBD means network block device.

And there is matching outgoing network activity when you run the usual "dd" write test.

Misremembered. Specifically the SSD's are on the same blade that the servers are on - 16 servers per blade, with the SSD's locally on the blade.

Edit: just checked pictures on the blade's and cant see where the SSD is, so maybe not.

frank said: Edit: just checked pictures on the blade's and cant see where the SSD is, so maybe not.

OVH atoms have the disk there, also, the kidechires, so, maybe that is the source of confusion.

• wych said: Pretty sure they ask for it when you start renting more than €xx a month.

^ +1 They me for ID when I wanted to order a Dedibox XC. It seems limit how many servers an account can have until ID is submitted where they raise the limit.

If 2-3 Eur I am definitely interested.