Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Online Labs - 4 ARM cores deployed in 10 secs - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Online Labs - 4 ARM cores deployed in 10 secs

Comments

• linuxthefishlinuxthefish Member
    edited October 2014

If anyone wants an invite PM me and I can send, or ask in their IRC chan!

EDIT: with email address!

Thanked by 1grillmaster
  • I have invites available (please PM) as well, but yeah, getting an invite directly on IRC might be faster - I don't know.

PS: I can add people to the queue but you'll have to wait until resources are available before being able to login.

• Its quite a nice service, I went onto IRC to sign up and they set me up with an account in a few mins.

I spun up a box and I installed mysql and nginx from apt-get but had to install golang from source as they don't have an ARM package. Have a version of my site running and have no complaints at all, will be interested to see the pricing and have a bit more of a play with the features.

Thanked by 2mikmak linuxthefish
  • you can also PM me to get invites (send firstname/lastname/email)

• Some control panel features are really useful; the ability to use snapshots is the one I miss the most on SolusVM VPSs. I need to investigate more the movable IP addresses concept, seems to be another great feature. A firewall is sadly missing now. Still unsure about the Object Storage, the documentation is lacking. The control panel seems to have the right balance between functionality and complexity. Strange page header icons, I'm not used to see smiling clouds on a infrastructure control panel (although they are somewhat cute).

I hope they will publish more documentation, and maybe more details on platform architecture.

• anyone know the prices yet of this?

• Zend Guard is only available for x86 so running things like Shmooze Paid extensions for FreePBX will not work on the ARM cores (But that's PHP not Python).

@aFriend said:
    Does anyone know if you can run all the python stuff on ARM processor - eg Python lxml, pandas, paramiko, boto, etc just like an X86 or X64 processor? Is there other stuff that doesnt work on ARM ?

• It's cool and all that Online.net is promoting this. Now I just need to find a way to utilize the ARM processor, as most of my application usage is done through Intel/AMD.

• No way to install CentOS? Does CentOS support the processor?

• What's their IRC channel?

• tortautortau Member
    edited October 2014

@johnlth93 said:
    What's their IRC channel?

irc.online.net
    #onlinelabs

• Hardware: Marvell Armada 370/XP (Device Tree)

• @Stevie said:
    anyone know the prices yet of this?

Not until it will get released for public in about 2 weeks. (Asked them yesterday)

• Just found mine offline for 12 hours, tried to access the console via the control panel but didn't work. A hard reboot has brought it back to life.

• I got 2, working for me. Installed Ghost on one of them - works really well.

• Is there some issue with TUN module on ARM?

I have no issue compiling openvpn and it's libraries but unable to load TUN module

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited October 2014

johnlth93 said: Is there some issue with TUN module on ARM?

No, just the kernel they use is compiled without TUN support.

# CONFIG_TUN is not set
  • edited October 2014

Are they providing kernel sources?

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep
    edited October 2014

Ive heard its possible to run elasticsearch (JVM) on ARM.... could make a good processing cluster :)

If the power vs price stacks up of course.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

Admiral_Awesome said: Are they providing kernel sources?

They should (by the license), but I am not sure if there's a way to use your own kernel, or is it booted centrally and common for all servers like on DigitalOcean.

Here is the documentation site: https://doc.cloud.online.net/
    has a lot of details on booting, images, etc... maybe you'll find something.

Thanked by 1Admiral_Awesome
  • can we install centos ?

• @Lewatan said:
    can we install centos ?

They only provide Ubuntu and Gentoo at the moment. No debian :(

• trexos said: They only provide Ubuntu and Gentoo at the moment. No debian :(

You can install your own image (Your desired distro have to support ARM). Use debootstrap (For Debian) and save it as a image. Look at the docs (bottom left) on your cloud account dashboard.

• I just love this concept! the panel is awesome as well, I will certainly be a very happy customer if the price is right :)

• I don't really rate the ssd on these, I get 834 iops using ioping (average 1.1ms) and about 85mb/s write speed with dd. Also, the cpu load average is high when doing nothing. Not sure these will be much use.

• I'm really interested in the pricing. Can't wait for more news :)

• with the right price, it will be a great product

• MicrolinuxMicrolinux Member
    edited October 2014

@sc754 said:
    I don't really rate the ssd on these, I get 834 iops using ioping (average 1.1ms) and about 85mb/s write speed with dd. Also, the cpu load average is high when doing nothing. Not sure these will be much use.

What on earth . . . you think 834 IOPs and 85 mb/s of (worthless) DD is not good? If the CPU load average is high, its very obviously doing something . . . certainly not "nothing" . . . or the Linux kernel is broken, which is neither here nor there.

Thanked by 1tarasis
  • @aFriend said:
    No way to install CentOS? Does CentOS support the processor?

You can take a look at RedSleeve Linux which is an upstream port http://www.redsleeve.org/

RedSleeve was recomended on CentOS forums - https://www.centos.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=469