Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Filemedia Launches Dedify.com - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Filemedia Launches Dedify.com

Comments

• @fileMEDIA said:

>

Do you have an IP/file to test/ping? I looked but couldn't find much about your network on site.

• Better:

http://lg.nue.de.filemedia.net (DedifyStack Location)

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • vimalwarevimalware Member
    edited January 2015

@fileMEDIA said:
    We have only special plans like (1024MB RAM, 1x vCPU @ 1500MHz, 10GB SSD for 2,88€/m or 0.004€/h)

1) How does one order this 'special' after making a 30EUdeposit?

2) Are they true Cloud with HA and snapshots?

3) Any limit of these per account? Do they expire after a while?

4) Is VAT removal possible for Asian customers for Dedify billing?

I think these 1G 'specials' are great for running experiments on distributed software/databases at low hourly cost. I like testing out mysql corner cases in a test lab before surgery on production machines.

• praveenpraveen Member
    edited January 2015

I am using Dedify since it launch and seems ok..

From my understanding

1) On the cloud panel when you create an instance select this special package, which is billed according to the specified price.

2) Yes they are, and you can even schedule snapshots.

3) As far as I know deposit amount does not expire.

4) I checked with them before and they said based on new VAT policy all must pay it

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

praveen said: 4) I checked with them before and they said based on new VAT policy all must pay it

All, who? is there VAT in Asia? If so, what is the percent? how do they know it?

• sorry, better clear with them but this was the answer i got

"all our prices include VAT. Customers from non eu countries pay the german VAT tax."

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • Yea, he's the weird guy that argued he charges german VAT for everyone because it's "less accounting" -- I would worry about using such a company, but each to his own.

3) Any limit of these per account? Do they expire after a while?

Deposits (and coupons with monetary value) in Germany may only expire only after 5 years unless otherwise stated (less must be stated, more is not required to be stated, if nothing is stated then it can either expire after 5 or later).

Thanked by 2vimalware alexvolk
  • The website isn't even loading...

William said: Yea, he's the weird guy that argued he charges german VAT for everyone because it's "less accounting"

Less accounting? WTF?
    I know it is a PITA, but, really, obeying the law is a cost of doing business, actually, a cost of living, even, there are bigger costs if you do not obey the law.
    I do not know how they account for it, if they simply consider everyone a german without a legal basis, then it is a mess which will be very hard to correct. If they simply collect the tax but do not send it anywhere, that is outright fraud.

• @filemedia : I understand you have both VM snapshots(on ssd san) and Volume backups(on nas).

After reading :https://my.dedify.com/knowledgebase/article/2/do-you-charge-for-stopped-instances-/

I wanted to know, is it possible to use snapshots / backups to recreate a deleted instance from scratch. Or will restore work only with stopped instances (billable)?

• yes this is a default feature of cloudstack you can convert snapshot to a template and use that to create a new instance..

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • We had this before...

He has the right to charge VAT to everyone, even non-Germans. It is not illegal, and it is certainly less accounting overhead for him. You like or not.

@Maounique said:

If they simply collect the tax but do not send it anywhere, that is outright fraud.

This would certainly be fraud, and it doesn't matter if they got the VAT from Germans or Non-German. Same would true if YOUR business did it, or anyones... So why insinuate it here?

• vimalwarevimalware Member
    edited January 2015

After reading all the knowledgebase articles, I came to understand dedifystack provides a FREE virtual router (redundant with HA) along with the first instance.

This lets one setup static-NAT and port maps to private instances behind single public facing IP (free IPv4).

A good read: https://my.dedify.com/knowledgebase/article/8/why-i-have-a-private-ip-address-in-my-instance-/

Personally , I think public-IPv4 sharing is a great idea if the virtual router can handle the L3/L4 load-balancing to private instances. In any case a public-IPv4 is allocated with each instance's virtual router.

I'm assuming that Bandwidth pooling is available for total public bandwidth consumed [2TB*instance-count every month] ?

Also, 1(one) publicly routed ipv6 is assigned to all instances on creation.

• @dynweb said:
    We had this before...

He has the right to charge VAT to everyone, even non-Germans. It is not illegal, and it is certainly less accounting overhead for him. You like or not.

well if someone tries to overcharge us, we won't be polite!

i don't care one bit about their bookkeeping burden. for all i know they re gonna do the billing right and pocket our extra 19%!

i would never buy this under these conditions, just out of principle.

damn your mehrwertsteuer

• kerouac said: i don't care one bit about their bookkeeping burden. for all i know they re gonna do the billing right and pocket our extra 19%!

probably this will be discussed again and again... but it's not to be understood why.

it's stated clearly that their prices are as they are and they wont do any further removal for non-eu residents. if they choose to do so, what you are complaining about?
    regardless if there is any VAT in a given price or not, should than not be your concern - just take the offer and directly compare to others or leave it be.
    just try to grasp that there is not another 19% discount on it ever.

and they for sure don't pocket anything, as they can't. they have to declare it as with every other invoice and send to tax authorities...

OT: that pic you posted shows of a very narrow-minded view. I don't really like Merkel at all, but she isn't for sure the one who caused decades of mismanagement in greece.
    but it's definitely the wrong thread to discuss any further about...

• fileMEDIAfileMEDIA Member
    edited January 2015

Maounique said: If they simply collect the tax but do not send it anywhere, that is outright fraud.

Never ending story..All collected VAT will be forwarded to tax authority. Other way is not possible if you created invoices with vat and all invoices will be audited by the tax authority yearly. Looks like no one have ever contact to the german tax authority.

I wanted to know, is it possible to use snapshots / backups to recreate a deleted instance from scratch. Or will restore work only with stopped instances (billable)?

Yes, normal feature. But we are working on a new usage collector and is nearly done to improve the accounting. In the future stopped instances will be not billed anymore, only the used space on it when it is stopped.

vimalware said: After reading all the knowledgebase articles, I came to understand dedifystack provides a FREE virtual router (redundant with HA) along with the first instance.

This lets one setup static-NAT and port maps to private instances behind single public facing IP (free IPv4).

Yes, one network with two virtual routers (ha) are free. All additional networks with virtual routers will be costs 0.003€/h.

vimalware said: Personally , I think public-IPv4 sharing is a great idea if the virtual router can handle the L3/L4 load-balancing to private instances. In any case a public-IPv4 is allocated with each instance's virtual router.

I'm assuming that Bandwidth pooling is available for total public bandwidth consumed [2TB*instance-count every month] ?

Also, 1(one) publicly routed ipv6 is assigned to all instances on creation.

Bandwidth sharing will be enabled with the new usage collector. Then you have 2TB/m per network and can be shared between all instances in this network which using it as outgoing gateway. Currently, each instances will be billed on 2GB/h offer.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • Well, from this year the EU rules for VAT for e-services have changed, you should be collecting VAT according to the country of the customr. I.e. for customers from UK you should collect UK VAT, for customer from France you should collect French VAT, etc.

Thanked by 1mpkossen
    edited January 2015

rds100 said: Well, from this year the EU rules for VAT for e-services have changed, you should be collecting VAT according to the country of the customr. I.e. for customers from UK you should collect UK VAT, for customer from France you should collect French VAT, etc.

Nothing new, will be done and nothing to do with the story. We are talking about non eu customers.

• @fileMEDIA said:

I didn't quite get that. So all Chinese people are basically Germans?

Thanked by 20xdragon Maounique

msg7086 said: So all Chinese people are basically Germans?

Maybe they dont sell to chinese. Actually, if the billing cant handle the law, they should not sell to anyone outside EU.
    Everyone who paid VAT for a while and should have not, can ask those money back and the company will compensate it with the tax authority. I dont see any other legal way to solve the issue.
    A company cannot impose taxes on its own, must have a legal basis for this, if they charge more for people outside EU is discrimination, but that would probably not be enforceable by those people, however, if the VAT is indeed evidenced in the invoice, then it must be sent to the tax authority and it should be there legally, whoever invoices anything, even taxes, must have a legal base for it, the ToS/AUP cannot state the people should pay taxes they dont owe. Of course the german tax authorities have everything to gain and nobody can, outside a court of law, recover their money, so, I can understand why this is going on, but it is plain wrong, completely illegal.

Thanked by 1kerouac
  • @fileMEDIA said:
    the new usage collector.

Will this be rolled out to All customers or just new ones?

I have started reading the entire cloudstack documentation site in the meantime. Should be useful soon.

In the meantime, I am new to Cloudstack , so please excuse my ignorance regarding following doubts based on your website text .

From https://www.dedify.com/model.php :

"You will also get one IPv4 address for free with every DedifyStack account"

Does that mean the cost of assigning a different ipv4 to a second compute instance will include second vRouter cost, as follows:
    0.003€/h + 1.49€/mo = 3.65€ monthly ? (compute-instance-cost/month will be added of course)

Also, from https://my.dedify.com/knowledgebase/article/8/why-i-have-a-private-ip-address-in-my-instance-/ :

"... This means your instances get private addresses in a isolated network and public ip addresses (one IPv4 address per DedifyStack is included) for external connections. All IPv4 addresses are terminated your your redundant virtual private routers which acts as firewall and load balancer. The ip addresses will be forwarded to your instances..."

The 'DedifyStack' here refers to the 'account' and not compute instance right?

Does that mean there is no need for ordering a second virtual router (for >1 IPV4) if we are happy with same virtual router/private network. (the Free vRouter1 can be assigned multiple IPv4 + traffic forwarding rules to multiple compute instances?)

• @fileMEDIA said:

So let me get this straight. You can adjust different VAT percentages for each EU country in your billing automation; but you cannot set 0% for all non-EU?

will be done

I highly doubt, no- I straight up don't believe that.

your website says all prices include 19% MwSt, and I just don't believe you'll tax any EU customer according to the new law.

Will you tax 25% VAT to the Danes or 27% to the Hungarians?

And if so still can't do no-VAT to the others, than that's just silly.

• @fileMEDIA

At the very minimum that's an interesting and promising approach. And the location GE is excellent, too.
    Asking us-americans to pay german VAT actually is something great in my minds eye because it might make some of them think how it feels to get someone elses rules imposed on you...

I wish you the best of luck - viel Glueck!

• Maounique said: Maybe they dont sell to chinese. Actually, if the billing cant handle the law, they should not sell to anyone outside EU.

Important is the service location, with digital goods you can decide if it is located in germany or outside. We do this since 2008 and several tax audit was passed and we confirmed this decision with the our tax authority.

vimalware said: Does that mean the cost of assigning a different ipv4 to a second compute instance will include second vRouter cost, as follows:

0.003€/h + 1.49€/mo = 3.65€ monthly ? (compute-instance-cost/month will be added of course)

You will get a free network and a free IPv4 address as long as you have an active (running) instance. So, when you have a running compute plan you only pay the compute fees and the network and ip address is free and included.

No, you can add up to 250 IPv4 addresses to one virtual router pair (HA routers). This network can be shared between all instances with have a network card to this network. You can configure static nat or port forwarding for ports or port ranges.

kerouac said: So let me get this straight. You can adjust different VAT percentages for each EU country in your billing automation; but you cannot set 0% for all non-EU?

It is a financial management decision to reduce many paper work with the tax authority.

kerouac said: Will you tax 25% VAT to the Danes or 27% to the Hungarians?

You pay your local tax in your eu country since 01.01.2015.

Thanked by 1vimalware

fileMEDIA said: Important is the service location, with digital goods you can decide if it is located in germany or outside.

If only... I hope one day that would be true, but not today.

edited February 2015

Maounique said: If only... I hope one day that would be true, but not today.

Sure, ask a german tax authority. Sorry only in german, but when you can read it here: http://www.hk24.de/recht_und_steuern/steuerrecht/umsatzsteuer_mehrwertsteuer/umsatzsteuer_mehrwertsteuer_international/367156/USt_grenzueber_Dienstleistungen.html -> @ 4.2.1

This includes vor example webhosting, digital services like software, telecommunication and other services which can fulfilled in the country of the company.

• It is possible that the tax laws in Germany are different than in other EU countries. Although these laws in the whole EU must be based on the same EU directives, there are still differences. For instance here if a company has even a single transaction with a company from another EU country, it must get a VAT number. Doesn't matter the turnaround, etc.
    Each TAX administration adds it's own rules.

Thanked by 1mpkossen

rds100 said: For instance here if a company has even a single transaction with a company from another EU country, it must get a VAT number.

That is the case everywhere and you have to do it also for accounting reasons, so you can register the VAT. If you do not, there wont be a cross-reference possible. It is different for a person, of course, since that person does not do accounting and is paying the VAT anyway.

fileMEDIA said: Sure, ask a german tax authority.

While I agree Germany is big and can dictate many things in the euro area which lead to the current crisis after marginally getting out of the last, different, one, it cannot have own laws in this area because it will not be possible to do business with people which apply the directives. It might have been an exception before 1st of January, but that is no longer the case now, for sure.

edited February 2015

Maounique said: It might have been an exception before 1st of January, but that is no longer the case now, for sure.

No as you can read in my added link and is still valid for non eu customers. EU customers pay their local taxes since 01.01.2015 but this have nothing to do with customers outside the eu. But do what you think and we do what our tax authority said. The discussion make me tired.

Thanked by 1mpkossen