Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

7 month review of VULTR.com - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

7 month review of VULTR.com

13»

Comments

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

bf1 said: The question is, do you need other carriers when you are in a Level3 facility?

Yes, 100%. We had some serious issues with L3 this year, including flapping interfaces and even full outages.

I hold the opinion it is better to have 2 cheaper providers than only one but expensive. Chances are you will do better overall.

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited December 2014

myhken said: Real clouds like IwStack.com do that, or maybe they charge for a full hour, but you can turn it off, reducing the cost to the IP and disk. Not CPU and RAM. Is it correct @Maounique

What do you mean by that? Pretty sure it's same on Vultr, they only bill you for the hours that you use the VM. As for reducing cost, you can take snapshot and just keep disk.

Also "real cloud" is just as meaningless as "cloud", if you want to be specific then say the features exactly like "detachable volumes", "hourly billing", "private networking"; otherwise only "real clouds" are the ones in sky.

• @perennate said:
    Also "real cloud" is just as meaningless as "cloud", if you want to be specific then say the features exactly like "detachable volumes", "hourly billing", "private networking"; otherwise only "real clouds" are the ones in sky.

From memory Vultr has something saying that even if your instance is completely off you will still be billed for the allocation of CPU,RAM and Disk resources.

edited December 2014

Rhys_quadex said: From memory Vultr has something saying that even if your instance is completely off you will still be billed for the allocation of CPU,RAM and Disk resources.

Sure, you can take snapshot if you don't want to be billed, otherwise it takes up reserved slot on the host node (since disk is stored locally, presumably) so lower price wouldn't make any sense. Anyway I still don't understand what they were saying:

4n0nx said: I hate prices per hour. Would make sense if they only billed my actual usage, accurate by the minute, but you just choose a package anyway....

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

perennate said: (since disk is stored locally, presumably) so lower price wouldn't make any sense.

Yes it would make sense, since ram and CPU are not used.

• boernd said: Is it even possible to add other carriers when you are in a Level(3) facility?

Yes, their facility at 6 Braham Street has the following carriers available.

edited December 2014

Maounique said: Yes it would make sense, since ram and CPU are not used.

No it wouldn't, since disk is stored locally, if CPU and RAM are fully allocated to other instances on the host node then the shutdown instance can no longer be quickly booted (needs disk transfer to another node); therefore those resources must be allocated to the instance even when offline. If you have distributed storage then sure, but probably Vultr doesn't, that's why I said "since disk is stored locally". Anyway you can take a snapshot and get exactly the same thing as shutting down instance (except Vultr may not provide a way to preserve the IP address), so it's a trivial distinction.

(Some providers charge you for actual CPU cycles so if you leave VM online but idle then it has less charge, that is an actual difference since snapshot doesn't get same effect.)

At any rate, I still don't understand what people were talking about with hourly billing being useless if you still have to select the package. That statement doesn't make sense.