Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

7 month review of VULTR.com
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

7 month review of VULTR.com

myhkenmyhken Member
edited September 2014 in Reviews

VULTR.com is still not one year old yet, but I have been with them since they soft launched their service, and I have to say that they just get better and better for each month. I have now been with them for over 7 months, and here is my updated review of them.

Please use my affiliate link if you are thinking about signing up, keeps my site running without any ads. http://www.vultr.com/?ref=6802732

Product/hardware/price

VULTR offer KVM cloud instances with SSD storage (like DigitalOcean), so you only get some cloud features like hourly billing, quick deployment, many locations etc. Since my last review they have added features such as, Ipv6 (beta), Private Network, Startup scripts, SSH keys, and they have launched two more locations

VULTR similar plans like DigitalOcean, but they have increased their smallest plan from 512 MB RAM to 768 MB of RAM, a 50% increase for the same price as DO charge.

They also charge $3/mo less for the 1 GB plan, and $5/mo less for their 2 GB plan.

As you can see VULTR now has 14 locations online, thats three times more locations then DigtalOcean has.

VULTR guarantee more then 3 GHz CPUs on all their plans (except their storage plans in NY), so you get fast CPU power on all servers. They offer SSD storage as standard and you get speeds like 3-460 MB/s.

Their hardware seems solid, and using CentOS 6.5 and Virtualmin gives me a really good result. The servers (both France and Netherlands) works really fast.

You deploy new servers within minutes depending on what location you are deploying in. It’s really simple as you can see in the picture over, you only select locations, package, and OS, then your server is online.

They have also launched there Multi core series with 8 or 12 cores and on my Benchmark test on their 8 core serve (the 12 core was not online) I got a result of 5918.9, thats insane high. (![](see my Top20 list))

Service/Support

Their service is still pretty good. And their support pretty fast.

Since I have been a BETA tester for several of the new features, I have had lots of contact with their support staff, and it’s seems like they have several support staff working for them, and they seems pretty knowledgeable.

Benchmark

Their new multi core series 8 core 16 GB RAM server in New York. Taking the 2.place on my Top20 list.

And their normal (performance series) 2 core 2 GB RAM server:

Network/uptime

Vultr has good speeds on their servers, and now they have finally fixed the network speed in the Netherlands, so you get 1 Gbit there also.

There was a network issue on my France server some days ago. I had 100% uptime last 80 days or so, but now the uptime is 99.977% on that server.

On my Netherlands node, that is around 90 days old, I have 99.977% uptime. And on my London server, I have 100% uptime.

Conclusion

If you need a host that can offers lots of locations, rapid deployment and hourly billing, take a look at VULTR.com. They have kept their promise to add lots more features and locations, and they still have more to come. Their servers and networks works really good, with fast servers, and high uptime.

Giving VULTR 9 of 10 points this time. They are getting better and better, and I’m looking forward to see how good they will be in the future.

Please use my affiliate link if you are thinking about signing up, keeps my site running without any ads. http://www.vultr.com/?ref=6802732

Thanked by 2DaveA Kassem

Comments

• Vultr is one of my favourite hosts for production use, highly recommended even if support is a tad crap imo.

• Not used their support to much. But they are really a good host.

• +1, no problems so far.
    Very good prices, a lot of locations and really fast servers.
    If they would have some cheap high storage plans also, Vultr would be perfect ;)

• If its a good host, you don't have to worry too much about the support. This is an excellent review though!

Thanked by 1myhken
  • Note that for most locations outside of New Jersey, they are nlayer single-homed, I would really love if they would fix that.

Thanked by 2george Amitz
  • @StellaEV said:
    Note that for most locations outside of New Jersey, they are nlayer single-homed, I would really love if they would fix that.

Is this part of the reason I'm getting considerably worse latency to their servers, than what I'm used to with "any" other EU located providers?

• StellaEVStellaEV Member
    edited September 2014

@george said:
    Is this part of the reason I'm getting considerably worse latency to their servers, than what I'm used to with "any" other EU located providers?

Could be,

Do a traceroute with a few VPS providers to the IP - if its all with nlayer, its probably all with nlayer.

What I dont like more about it is if NLayer goes poof, someone decides to dig up their fiber, or some other event happens that takes down NLayer, that Vultr location will be left out in the cold as they are not multihomed.

• Nice to see you're happy with them! Good review.

Thanked by 1myhken
  • 4067 on a 2 core VPS? Impressive.

Thanked by 1myhken
  • @aus said:
    4067 on a 2 core VPS? Impressive.

Yes, really impressive. They have really got some good hardware. Maybe @Dave_A can explain how they are getting so good numbers.
    5918 on a 8 core server is also insane good. Soladrive has 6100 point, but that was on a brand new empty 24 core server

• @myhken said:

An E3v3 managed to get nearly 8K unixbench fyi. But yeah...4k is not usual on a VPS.

• See they have got 12 core, 16 core and 24 core servers inventory now. Just testing their 16 core server now. They have some limits on how much credit you need to startup one of this multicore servers, and my credit of $135 was not the right number for the 12 core, so they raised it, but it's still not enough for the 24 core server.

• Got a new insane result on their 16 core server: 7698.6 UnixBench points.
    Looking forward to test their 24 core server.

• BrianHarrisonBrianHarrison Member, Patron Provider

@HostMyBytes said:
    If its a good host, you don't have to worry too much about the support. This is an excellent review though!

Unless you need help getting things setup and running on your VM :-)

• But Vultr.com is a unmanaged host, so if you have such needs, maybe go for a managed host then?

• StellaEV said: Note that for most locations outside of New Jersey, they are nlayer single-homed, I would really love if they would fix that.

You'll find Vultr (or David) have a very ignorant attitude towards this. I asked Vultr to clarify their arrangements for their London location and I was given responses which evaded my original question and intended to detract from the dishonest and shady practice from Vultr. The ticket eventually went unanswered.

Thanked by 1iKeyZ
  • @kcaj said:

They've been ignorant/reluctant about their node specs as well.

• Thanks @myhken !

Thanked by 1myhken
  • @DaveA said:
    Thanks myhken !

You got DDoS protection for gameservers.com, why don't you enable it for vultr?

• Do they allow torrents?

• Thank you for your review.
    I like their method using ISO, PXE
    I used them to test their VPS on huge database and their servers perform well

Thanked by 1DaveA
  • @tr1cky - We will, lots of things in our pipeline.

Thanked by 1sentarum
  • @DaveA thats what I love with vultr, all the new things that actually are coming. You are not just talking about stuff thats never gets online.

• Is this thread an advert or a review? It reads a lot like the former, to me.

• @DaveA said:
    tr1cky - We will, lots of things in our pipeline.

It would be nice to see some larger storage plans in the EU, ssd caching would be a bonus too.

Thanked by 1tehdartherer
  • @salathe said:
    Is this thread an advert or a review? It reads a lot like the former, to me.

If you look at my site, and search both Webhostingtalk.com and this forum, you can see that I have written reviews for several years now. Of course I write nice things about companies I like. And I'm always using the hosts I'm writing about, and I always use them for a long time, if they are a good company, and I actually need their service.

But I'm not paid to write reviews, and I have no ads on my site, just two aff. links to Vultr and DigitalOcean.

• @sc754 said:

+1 for storage plans in the EU.

Thanked by 1tehdartherer
  • @myhken - We are still deciding on what hardware platform we want to deploy in the EU for storage. Once that is decided its a matter of populating the cabinets/racks with the equipment. It's definitely going to happen in 2014. (quote me on it)

• That sounds super awesome!

@DaveA said:
    myhken - We are still deciding on what hardware platform we want to deploy in the EU for storage. Once that is decided its a matter of populating the cabinets/racks with the equipment. It's definitely going to happen in 2014. (quote me on it)

• That's amazing!