Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

7 month review of VULTR.com - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

7 month review of VULTR.com

Comments

• programerprogramer Member
    edited October 2014

How is the support, also their terms of service seems to be apprehensive about abuse of their resources and written in that fashion. They are blocking SMTP initially, and they seem to be reluctant in divulging certain things. How is their service really, we are waiting to sign up with them for quite long time.

• programer said: How is the support

They are a unmanaged host, so you get basic support on hardware/network issues. You can't expect any more?
    I have used support once on a offline VPS, and it was solved in about 40 minutes.

programer said: How is their service really, we are waiting to sign up with them for quite long time.

Their service is really good, so no reason to not signup and try them out. Please use my aff.link if you signup: http://www.vultr.com/?ref=6802732

• We just started testing Vultr at vpsbenchmarks.com and the performances of their $15 2GB offer is pretty remarkable so far. The chart on that page compares response time of a webapp running on Linode, DO, Ramnode, Vultr and others. Vultr is the fastest of all based on the first 4 days of this test..

• Is there any info regarding the specific datacenters Vultr uses in Europe at all?

• george said: Is there any info regarding the specific datacenters Vultr uses in Europe at all?

They're using Level3's Goswell Road facility in London.

http://www.level3.com/~/media/files/brochures/en_datactr_br_goswell.pdf

• georgegeorge Member
    edited December 2014

@kcaj said:
    They're using Level3's Goswell Road facility in London.

http://www.level3.com/~/media/files/brochures/en_datactr_br_goswell.pdf

May I ask what's your source on this?

• george said: May I ask what's your source on this?

I'm afraid I don't know, I've picked it up from somewhere over time.

Thanked by 1george
  • It would be nice if Vultr could be a bit more transparent about their DCs...

• Amitz said: It would be nice if Vultr could be a bit more transparent about their DCs...

That would mean revealing their singlehomed setup in London.

• @kcaj said:

And their singlehomed setup in Frankfurt.

• waiting for singapore location

• kcaj said:

That would mean revealing their singlehomed setup in London

Is it a secret in the first place? Anyone could connecto to a route server and lookup the routes for an IP.

• @kcaj said:

That would contradict the statement on their website [1]:

"10 Gigabit Multihomed - Vultr.com offers a quality low latency experience by utilizing only premium carriers in all of our locations."

[1] https://www.vultr.com/locations/

• rds100 said: Is it a secret in the first place? Anyone could connecto to a route server and lookup the routes for an IP.

zeitgeist said: That would contradict the statement on their website [1]:

"10 Gigabit Multihomed - Vultr.com offers a quality low latency experience by utilizing only premium carriers in all of our locations."

[1] https://www.vultr.com/locations/

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Too bad the owner is such a jerk.

• @raindog308

Yea I just saw that :-/, not sure what to say :-/....

Thanked by 1Nick_A
  • zeitgeistzeitgeist Member
    edited December 2014

@raindog308 said:
    Too bad the owner is such a jerk.

I am surprised he even has the time to register/participate here. As the founder/CEO not only of vultr but also of Choopa/gameservers.com/etc., one would think he has more important things to do.

I would rather play with my toys: http://lynare.com/ ;)

• Has anyone done a comparison of Vultr and Wable?

• Its snapshot feature like in DO?

• @skizoid said:
    Its snapshot feature like in DO?

Almost the same, you can use one snapshot in any location. But they don't have the "Glazier" backup that DO has.

• @skizoid said:
    Its snapshot feature like in DO?

What's much better with vultr in comparison: You can upload your own linux install, and you can install your own kernel. No need for kexec hacks or similar.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

isaacl said: Has anyone done a comparison of Vultr and Wable?

What to compare? Those are 2 very different products...

• george said: May I ask what's your source on this?

Looks like I was previously wrong on this. Who-is information for their IP ranges in London suggest they are using a different Level3 facility in London.

Thanked by 1george
  • Unfortunately, their Japan VPS uses NTT lane, not as good as KDDI to China Telecom...
    The ping jumps between 60-150. KDDI (Linode) is always 75.

• I hate prices per hour. Would make sense if they only billed my actual usage, accurate by the minute, but you just choose a package anyway....

• @4n0nx said:
    I hate prices per hour. Would make sense if they only billed my actual usage, accurate by the minute, but you just choose a package anyway....

Real clouds like IwStack.com do that, or maybe they charge for a full hour, but you can turn it off, reducing the cost to the IP and disk. Not CPU and RAM. Is it correct @Maounique

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

myhken said: Is it correct @Maounique

More or less, iwstack charge is by the minute, minimum 10 minutes.

Thanked by 1myhken
  • InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep
    edited December 2014

@kcaj said:

>

Looks like I was previously wrong on this. Who-is information for their IP ranges in >London suggest they are using a different Level3 facility in London.

That is correct, they use Level(3) Braham, not Goswell Road. Single-homed of course.

• Is it even possible to add other carriers when you are in a Level(3) facility?

• The question is, do you need other carriers when you are in a Level3 facility?

@boernd said:
    Is it even possible to add other carriers when you are in a Level(3) facility?