Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which provider will let me torrent? - Page 6
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Which provider will let me torrent?

12346»

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited September 2014

tehdartherer said: then hosting in the US is a no-go for privacy concerned people

It took this to lead you to that conclusion? Personally I think anyone who hosts their content with anything other than their own computer, in their own rack, guarded by their own guns, is hilariously naive when expecting real privacy. Providers can only do so much, and the presence of law is by no means comforting to me, as if criminals do not exist in places both high and low.

• Thanked by 1ATHK
  • @GVH_Eric said:
    "1b. GreenValueHost reserves the right to modify this Agreement at any time. Your continued use of our Services constitutes your full understanding and agreement to comply with these terms."

Then you should be able to provide proof that the "multiple TOS/AUP updates made since that post" (as claimed by Jon) on vpsboard have each been sent to all GVH clients notifying them of the specific changes in the documents, as required by law. And considering the "waive privacy right" clause is not currently present, nor have customers been notified, you cannot use that to justify anything.

It's funny, you claim that certain vps plans "nearly bankrupted" you, you reduced support priority for shared/resellers as you were losing money on them, you had to crawl back to colocrossing as they were the only provider cheap enough for you to survive, and your "CEO" works at a ups store to make ends meet, yet you have plenty of extra money to pay for legal defense. Sure you do.

Of course, real businesses, especially those claiming a corporate structure (ceo/cto/etc), are more than happy to provide details regarding their legal representation, in fact it is often required as part of the governance. You are required, by law, to provide this information when requested so that they can be served legal documents (when you claim to have a legal representative) against your llc. Now if you didn't claim legal representation, it would be different, the principle could be directly served but you have claimed multiple times that you do have a legal representative, and have refused to provide their contact info. Anyone who "works in a law firm" and minored in law at a "prestigous university" should already know this.

• Thanked by 2ATHK 0xdragon
  • charliecharlie Member, Host Rep

In Hungary downloading movies or music is legal for personal usage, so we allowing VPS in our plans.

• ATHKATHK Member
    edited September 2014

In b4 "thanks for the publicity"

• Can we just close this topic? It's obvious it's not on topic anymore.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

I dont agree, I think glusterfs is better!

:8

• Oh come on, we are not talking about perfect privacy here, but privacy laws and what the providers are legally allowed to do.
    Your argument doesn't make any sense: Just because there are certainly guys spitting in your soup you ordered means that we do not need any food safety regulations? That's cynical.

In my opinion:

• Should the provider be able to shut down the node, because of abusing some resource (CPU, IO, network, whatever)? Yes.
    • Should the provider be able to terminate the node, because of some legal notice about copyright infringement? For sure.
    • Should the provider be able to block some service entirely? Agreed.
    • Does the provider need the actual processed (private) data from the client for this? No.

In this case, it is torrenting. As long as the client is not producing any kind legal notices or what ever, the provider should not start hurry on ahead and snoop the client file systems.
    Another drastic example is CP. Do we accept CP? Hell no.
    Do AUP/TOS allow CP? Hell no. Should the provider thus be legally authorized to scan every image/film on any node? No.

Since GVH told everyone, that based on their AUP / TOS they are legally allowed to snoop into anything, as long as you are suspicious enough, I would not recommend to host / torrent anything (at least on OpenVZ) in the US. But that's a personal decision.

@Jar said:
    It took this to lead you to that conclusion? Personally I think anyone who hosts their content with anything other than their own computer, in their own rack, guarded by their own guns, is hilariously naive when expecting real privacy. Providers can only do so much, and the presence of law is by no means comforting to me, as if criminals do not exist in places both high and low.

• @GVH_Eric said:
    Technically, with the way OpenVZ containers (and their processes within) are handled, the processes (in a very basic sense) are simply sandboxed and running on the host node. Instead of comparing it to a person renting a house, you should be comparing it to a guest staying for a set period of time - in a public room no less. We simply search for processes (such as "tor" and "rtorrent" and flag those containers for review.

You will stop the noobs with that, but not the pros.

The customers who compile those programs on their own (with an different name and filesize hash) stay off the radar, as long as the received / send packets and bandwidth usage don't spoil them.

• TriDoxiuMTriDoxiuM Member
    edited September 2014

Guys, we are just feeding the trolls now.
    Let's just stop it with the GVH bullshit and link anyone who wants to buy a cheap vps to this thread and let them decide.

Edit: RamNode is pretty good, not too sure about INIZ