Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which provider will let me torrent? - Page 5
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Which provider will let me torrent?

Comments

• @jnguyen said:
    The whole point of why people torrent illegal things is to save money. Are those people really going to spend the money for which they can use to pay for 100x the price of the things they illegally stole .. to seek litigation in a case they have a high chance of losing, considering that we have significantly more legal and financial resources to use in a defense?
    It's completely illogical serverian

And in regards to ToR, who would really want to come right out to admit to participating in operating ToR relays .. To get likely slapped with an investigation by the FBI and a possible criminal conspiracy charge ?!

Also illogical!

As I said, even if they break an US law and your AUP, their privacy right cannot be voided by yourself.

Say they have copyrighted material on their download folder plus they have their private files in the same place. You did your inspection and opened one of their private files that hold no copyright. Now, you have violated their privacy.

Hell, no tool is 100% fool proof to detect something like this. So, you'll end up looking through some person's real private content in the end and violate their privacy.

Regarding the suing argument: Think of this. Say some competitor is looking to ruin you. All they need to do is installing a torrent client and putting their private non copyrighted material there and renaming them as movie names. You terminate them saying you've seen copyrighted material and there is the law suit there.

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • drserverdrserver Member, Host Rep

last one and i am done,
    What about those two:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trade_secret

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intellectual_property

we have all those regulated in EU so this is more checking that anything else

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@introducial said:
    Why would I be obliged to that in any way? I'm just asking him to back his statement up, I didn't claim anything about this.

Because it has to be illegal or it isn't. If it's illegal, it is written. You have made that claim, you are obligated to prove it unless you're just talking out of your ass. If there is a law, cite it. If there is not, you are wrong. You have made the claim of the existence of something, you are burdened to prove it.

• drserverdrserver Member, Host Rep

jnguyen said: So are you saying that if we host customers in Romania, we can allow piracy and ignore DMCA? Wrong!

True, Fund Romanian company, rent Romanian servers, act according to Romanian laws and you are good to go.

• @drserver said:
    last one and i am done,
    What about those two:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trade_secret

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intellectual_property

we have all those regulated in EU so this is more checking that anything else

The first one does not apply at all. An example of a trade secret is the Coca Cola beverage formula.

The second one defines the basis and legal definition of intellectual property, and does not mention a specific law pertaining to this case.

• jnguyenjnguyen Member
    edited September 2014

@serverian said:
    Regarding the suing argument: Think of this. Say some competitor is looking to ruin you. All they need to do is installing a torrent client and putting their private non copyrighted material there and renaming them as movie names. You terminate them saying you've seen copyrighted material and there is the law suit there.

They'd have to be retarded to do that because in the U.S, if that were to happen, they'd be GUARANTEED to be countersued in an unfair competition lawsuit because they renamed the files intentionally with knowledge that we do this and have this procedure/policy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unfair_competition

• serverianserverian Member
    edited September 2014

@Jar said:
    Which law is he breaking though? I see a lot of people talking about this law but no one has made a reference to it yet.

As I said a few posts back, I know only a little about international laws. His sources don't seem to be reliable here and advised him to search for real advice from a lawyer who specializes in this.

It just doesn't sound right to my ears that there is no law in the US that forbids these kinds of actions. If there is really no law that forbids his actions, I really have no words :)

@jnguyen said:
    They'd have to be retarded to do that because in the U.S, if that were to happen, they'd be GUARANTEED to be countersued.

Sorry @serverian but this is true. A business can refuse service for almost any reason other than race, gender, or religion.

• @Jar said:
    Because it has to be illegal or it isn't. If it's illegal, it is written. You have made that claim, you are obligated to prove it unless you're just talking out of your ass. If there is a law, cite it. If there is not, you are wrong. You have made the claim of the existence of something, you are burdened to prove it.

Please show me this:

• Me, claiming a law's existence.

introducial said: Please show me this:

Fair point, I spoke out of turn. However, if you take such an interest, you should follow through and be the hero that you set out to be.

I'm not saying that I take Jon's side or that I don't, but I've been through this here before. For a long time at Catalyst I ran a script that searched for "dos.pl" because we had a string of outgoing attacks and the logs showed that as a big player in the 'ps' output from the server. To this day I stand by it and no one, I repeat NO ONE, has ever accepted my challenge to cite a law that states that I had no legal right to do it.

You guys can pull out all of your pitchforks and torches, it doesn't make you right.

• jnguyenjnguyen Member
    edited September 2014

"Duuuuude I think you just won the argument man! You aren't even in your school's debate club! You could grow up to be a fucking politician, you just need to learn how to lie really good and I could imagine you being President!"

are the type of messages that are now being sent to me over Skype.

/sidetrack

• @Jar said:
    For a long time at Catalyst I ran a script that searched for "dos.pl" because we had a string of outgoing attacks and the logs showed that as a big player in the 'ps' output from the server

Searching for a particular file and doing "ls" on the folders of a customer's VPS randomly are not the same thing IMHO.

Thanked by 3jar Amitz ihatetonyy
  • WILL EVERYONE SHUT UP AND GO TO THE CEST PIT PLEASE >.<

/joke

This isn't the place to throw shit around, y'all should know that.

/joke

I AM ASHAMED WITH ALL OF YOU AND YOUR PRIVACY VIOLATING WAYS. YOU SHOULD LET ME ATTACK AND ABUSE THE NODE WITHOUT RESTRICTION :O

/joke

• @jnguyen said:
    "Duuuuude I think you just won the argument man! You aren't even in your school's debate club! You could grow up to be a fucking politician, you just need to learn how to lie really good and I could imagine you being President!"

/sidetrack

Sorry to burst your bubble but your have not win anything. All you did was to paraphrase sentences from some guy who works in a law office and another guy who has minor on law subject.

You have not supported any of your arguments with facts. (Neither has anyone else) So all the important parts of what you said are in the air.

• I would beat the shit out of everyone telling me that I could be a politician! That is SO insulting! I am sorry that you receive harassing messages like this!

• @Jar said:
    You guys can pull out all of your pitchforks and torches, it doesn't make you right.

I did not accept that challenge because I'm quite uninformed about international data privacy laws. In Turkey, the whole privacy laws are close to non-existent, but in US, I don't know, and because of that I ask to the one who claimed that law in the first place (I presumed a written law about this as I really didn't think that there'd be no written thing at all). And I got my answer with Jon's post.

• I'm sorry but that picture is retarded @ihatetonyy

Whoever made that has a horrible lack of photoshopping ability.

• @jnguyen said:
    I'm sorry but that picture is retarded ihatetonyy

Whoever made that has a horrible lack of photoshopping ability.

http://r-word.org/mobile/default.aspx

• hostnoobhostnoob Member
    edited September 2014

@jnguyen said:
    Then we'll insert a line in our ToS mentioning that the customer agrees to waive any and all data privacy 'rights and claims' if an AUP violation has occurred.

What about people who already signed up with you before you add this? You would need to provide a full refund I believe?

• @hostnoob said:
    What about people who already signed up with you before you add this? You would need to provide a full refund I believe?

13c. GreenValueHost may modify this Agreement at any time. You agree to assume all responsibility for any violation of these terms in the event that you fail to review this Agreement on a periodic basis.

Thanked by 1hostnoob
  • @Jar said:
    Which law is he breaking though? I see a lot of people talking about this law but no one has made a reference to it yet.

Alright. Looks like there is no law in the land of the free that prohibits host from looking at customers' files. http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1413919

Live and learn, eh?

Thanked by 3jar ihatetonyy hostnoob
  • @hostnoob said:

Actually, no. As per Illinois law, we would only need to inform clients that the ToS has been updated, that is all. The following line gives us that ability.

"1b. GreenValueHost reserves the right to modify this Agreement at any time. Your continued use of our Services constitutes your full understanding and agreement to comply with these terms."

Thanked by 1hostnoob
  • alexhalexh Member
    edited September 2014

serverian said: As I said a few posts back, I know only a little about international laws.

Same goes for me; I found this segment of the US law. I'm not familiar with it, and as such, some of the legal jargon remains unclear to me. It'd be great if somebody here could clarify. It seems to be that wiretap laws extend to the internet, given the definition of "electronic communication" written in the law.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/2511

Except as otherwise specifically provided in this chapter any person who— intentionally discloses, or endeavors to disclose, to any other person the contents of any wire, oral, or electronic communication, knowing or having reason to know that the information was obtained through the interception of a wire, oral, or electronic communication in violation of this subsection; shall be punished as provided in subsection (4) or shall be subject to suit as provided in subsection (5).

“electronic communication” means any transfer of signs, signals, writing, images, sounds, data, or intelligence of any nature transmitted in whole or in part by a wire, radio, electromagnetic, photoelectronic or photooptical system that affects interstate or foreign commerce

• Crap. It's not good to have INIZ and RamNode in the topic title when the discussion is 99% GVH-goofery.

As somebody else said; could the GVH-goofery be put into a seperate topic? It might reflect badly on INIZ and RamNode to have these two reputable providers mentioned in the title, and then having people read endless GVH bullshit rather than on topic posts.

Just my two shekels.

• @GVH_Eric said:
    "1b. GreenValueHost reserves the right to modify this Agreement at any time. Your continued use of our Services constitutes your full understanding and agreement to comply with these terms."

Fair enough

• @k0nsl said:
    Crap. It's not good to have INIZ and RamNode in the topic title when the discussion is 99% GVH-goofery.

As somebody else said; could the GVH-goofery be put into a seperate topic? It might reflect badly on INIZ and RamNode to have these two reputable providers mentioned in the title, and then having people read endless GVH bullshit rather than on topic posts.

Just my two shekels.

The topic was never really about those providers, it was more about someone wanting to work out where he could get away with torrenting.

With that in mind a topic re-title probably is the way to go, rather than a thread split.

Thanked by 1k0nsl

Nekki said: With that in mind a topic re-title probably is the way to go, rather than a thread split.

Agreed, and on that note GVH had every right to come in here and defend against the suggestion made by others that their services be used for something that they clearly do not wish for their servers to be used for. Once again a case of everyone else made this thread about GHV.

Thanked by 1FrankZ
  • This thread is like AIDS.

Thanked by 2jar ATHK
  • tehdartherertehdartherer Member
    edited September 2014

If it is true, that "there is no law in the land of the free that prohibits host from looking at customers' files", then hosting in the US is a no-go for privacy concerned people. They can bend the law in any direction, calling it AUP/TOS violation. This is sad and, as far as I am informed, not allowed in the EU.

This is so embarrassing...

@jnguyen said:

/sidetrack