Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which provider will let me torrent? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Which provider will let me torrent?

Comments

• @jvnadr said:
    If torrents are legal (ISOs from linux distros, personal files etc.) then there is no DMCA issue, so, only problem is if you abuse the bandwidth. I really cannot understand providers int his community (almost all of them are coders, programmers or computer gurus) that are in the same direction with governments and big companies, that are trying to turn torrenting as a non-legal action! Torrent is a tool that it bay be used legally or illegally, like a knife can...

If a user want to torrent from his server only legal content and he maintains the vps to avoid high bandwidth using (not to abuse other users in the same node), then, he should be free to torrent.

On the other hand, torrenting illegal content (copyrighted content, nulled software, illegal stuff) is a completely different issue. If a provider receive a valid DMCA he should be able to terminate account without any refund.

In real life, torrenting a couple of dozens of files usually will not drag the attention of copyright owner. They usually hunt the big fishes with legal actions.

Talking or asking in legal communities like LET things as "I want to know a provider that will allow me to torrent and ignore DMCA" is like saying to providers here, "DO NOT ALLOW THIS GUY TO BE YOUR CLIENT".
    No provider will tell you that you will be welcomed in his nodes, when you clearly state that you will use your 3-5$ p/m vps as a torrent box.

If OP will use torrent vps just for downloading stuff and not seeding, then, it is completely his responsibility against to DMCA owners and not the provider's.

The truth is that many people here are using vps from many respected providers in LET for torrenting. It works till they get caught. So, in the bottom line, it is your risk and responsibility to torrent illegal stuff and, if you get caught, do not cry or whine about the service or your money.

About the original question, now:

Ramnode and INIZ are both good providers. I use them both (not for torrenting, though!) and I think that Ramnode is more stable with more powered nodes and better threshold in using shared resources (cpu, I/O, bandwidth etc.)

Thanx man :-)

• alexhalexh Member
    edited September 2014

I'd look into finding a seedbox. WhatBox and FeralHosting are two I can recommend. Note that you should only ever use private trackers, even on dedicated seedboxes. Using public trackers is asking for trouble and ultimately will hurt the provider. Arguments and configuration options aside, it doesn't change the aforementioned hosts' terms, and it won't make the potential for suspension any less. It all comes down to using the correct service for the task at hand. Perhaps if you join a private community and use a seedbox you will understand that seeding with good quality bandwidth is essential to the success of a tracker.

• If you're only downloading and not seeding just go with http://justseed.it it'll be cheaper.

• @noaman said:
    Hey...no any promo codes or links I can use for GVH

Erm... You want a host with guaranteed network issues and downtime?

• Both excellent

• @Nekki said:

I know they are issues with the hosts...how much downtime and how serious network issues should I expect ...Please send me a link of review

• @jvnadr said:
    If torrents are legal (ISOs from linux distros, personal files etc.) then there is no DMCA issue, so, only problem is if you abuse the bandwidth. I really cannot understand providers in this community (almost all of them are coders, programmers or computer gurus) that are in the same direction with governments and big companies, that are trying to turn torrenting as a non-legal action! Torrent is a tool that it may be used legally or illegally, like a knife can...

If a user want to torrent from his server only legal content and he maintains the vps to avoid high bandwidth or IO using (not to abuse other users in the same node), then, he should be free to torrent.

On the other hand, torrenting illegal content (copyrighted content, nulled software, illegal stuff) is a completely different issue. If a provider receive a valid DMCA he should be able to terminate account without any refund.

In real life, torrenting a couple of dozens of files usually will not drag the attention of copyright owner. They usually hunt the big fishes with legal actions.

Talking or asking in legal communities like LET things as "I want to know a provider that will allow me to torrent and ignore DMCA" is like saying to providers here, "DO NOT ALLOW THIS GUY TO BE YOUR CLIENT".
    No provider will tell you that you will be welcomed in his nodes, when you clearly state that you will use your 3-5$ p/m vps as a torrent box.

If OP will use torrent vps just for downloading stuff and not seeding, then, it is completely his responsibility against to DMCA owners and not the provider's.

The truth is that many people here are using vps from many respected providers in LET for torrenting. It works till they get caught. So, in the bottom line, it is your risk and responsibility to torrent illegal stuff and, if you get caught, do not cry or whine about the service or your money.

About the original question, now:

Ramnode and INIZ are both good providers. I use them both (not for torrenting, though!) and I think that Ramnode is more stable with more powered nodes and better threshold in using shared resources (cpu, I/O, bandwidth etc.)

Torrents hit the disks pretty hard in most cases.

• Corey said: Torrents hit the disks pretty hard in most cases.

The amount of simultaneous connections can also cause issues, especially with incorrectly configured global peer limits.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited September 2014

In all seriousness if you're choosing between INIZ and RamNode I would definitely take a moment to weigh in on the two, completely ignoring the "torrent" part and leaving that for you to figure out.

I have been a customer of RamNode since June 29, 2012. I will never think twice about the opportunity to use RamNode be it for a project idea that doesn't work out (constant thing for me) or long term production use. Whether or not Nick provides a quality service is simply not up for discussion. A disagreement is indication of a misunderstanding of the definition of the word "quality" as it refers to this industry.

I have been a short term customer of INIZ in the past and I have been watching feedback for quite some time. I absorb large samples of data to form opinions on companies that I am not a customer of, and I am typically skeptical of positive feedback as a first reaction. I have watched Patrick and how he handles himself in public for some time. StormVZ had no shortage of happy clients and neither has INIZ. I am so confident from my observations that I am expanding MXroute under his services.

Though I may not speak like it at times, I consider myself an expert in very little. There are few things which I would openly claim to be above average in. Identifying talent and quality in this industry is one of those that I would make the claim for. If they were publicly traded companies, I would invest in both of your choices right now with no regrets.

Thanked by 3Nick_A Patrick k0nsl
  • jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited September 2014

Corey said: Torrents hit the disks pretty hard in most cases.

alexh said: The amount of simultaneous connections can also cause issues, especially with incorrectly configured global peer limits.

This is true, as in a lot of tasks that you can do legally with your vps. It depends on how user will configure torrent (or any other task he chose): concurrent users, speed, concurrent downloads / uploads etc. If you use torrent just for downloading 1-2 files at a time with controlled speed and do not let 10's of users to upload stuff from you, then, you can have a normal IO activity and do not block your box due to hundred concurrent connections.

It all has to do with knowledge: when you buy an unmanaged vps, you (supposed to) know how to use it. If you don't, don't buy it. If you are noobie, learn how to configure it first before you do tasks as torrenting. If you do and let configs abuse the server, then, provider has every right to kick your ass out of his service - and he should do!

Thanked by 2FrankZ RLT
  • @noaman said:
    I know they are issues with the hosts...how much downtime and how serious network issues should I expect ...Please send me a link of review

You can do your own digging fella.

IMO don't waste your time with them unless you're totally out of options. My comment was a joke that I suspect everyone got except you.

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited September 2014

Well, I don't see problem with providers proactively restricting programs via terms of service that most users will improperly configure and thus use excessive network/disk resources. It's entirely separate from "trying to turn torrenting as a non-legal action".

• @lelewku said:

And when you get caught for doing so, you will be terminated for breaching our AUP :P I'd advise not doing that.

• @SkylarM said:
    And when you get caught for doing so, you will be terminated for breaching our AUP :P I'd advise not doing that.

If he's not causing issues by torrenting, why worry about it?

• jnguyenjnguyen Member
    edited September 2014

http://prntscr.com/4osywc

Think again if you believe we don't care about people using our servers to torrent illegally obtained files/content. We actually go and search for this activity and we terminate the server with no questions asked after we catch someone. This is just a recent example from a few moments ago.

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

@jnguyen do you try to make a bad reputation for yourself intentionally?

• jnguyen said: We actually go and search for this activity

Actively search? Like snooping - invalidating the trust of the client? That's just horrible.

Thanked by 2Mark_R RLT
  • Best choice is.. RamNiz :>

Thanked by 1orak
  • @Silvenga said:
    Actively search? Like snooping - invalidating the trust of the client? That's just horrible.

It's more of an automatic process so human eyes won't be the ones snooping until you're caught. We have in house script developers you know.

• @jnguyen said:
    It's more of an automatic process so human eyes won't be the ones snooping until you're caught. We have in house script developers you know.

Hi Jon, any news about that coupon from more than 2 weeks back?

• hbjlee17hbjlee17 Member, Host Rep

@jnguyen said:

Thats good to know that GVH has in house developer that writes scripts to actively snoop traffic to and from its clients virtual machines.

Also good to know that these data are being stored for human review at a later date.

Much too pro for me.

Thanked by 1RLT
  • @hostnoob said:
    If he's not causing issues by torrenting, why worry about it?

If there's no DMCA and no IO abuse issues related to it, then you are right he will get away with it. We aren't going out of our way to search for people illegally torrenting, we don't have enough time in the day to do that. Still annoying that people intentionally break our AUP though!

Thanked by 1hostnoob
  • jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited September 2014

jnguyen said: Think again if you believe we don't care about people using our servers to torrent illegally obtained files/content. We actually go and search for this activity and we terminate the server with no questions asked after we catch someone. This is just a recent example from a few moments ago.

Wow! Proactive spying with "in-house script"? This is as illegal as torrenting copyrighted files! You have no right to spy on what a user is uploading or downloading, till you get a legal complain about it! You, sir, are violating the law! There are laws that protecting privacy! Only authorities can look or give order to look inside anyone's property.

And who is giving any provider the wright to decide what is legal and what is not? Do you spy on what exact movie your client leeched? For example, there are a lot of public domain movies or documentaries that freely anyone can share. You can only find an illegal sharing if you find the exact share file and check with the owner the copyright issue!

So, you now have to inform us HOW EXACTLY do you "go and search for this activity" and how do you SNOOP your clients.

Thanked by 2RLT Pwner
  • @jvnadr said:
    So, you now have to inform us HOW EXACTLY do you "go and search for this activity" and how do you SNOOP your clients.

Tell that to the NSA.

• gvh, okey remembered.

• @Zen said:
    stuff

IMO, there's nothing wrong with providers looking for scripts that are impacting the service for other users, but if someone's not causing any performance issues or getting DMCA notices I don't see the point of actively looking for users using torrents.

• Zen said: I understand people not liking the idea of pro-active monitoring or "snooping" but you're not jumping out to complain about all of the performance and anti-abuse benefits you gain as a customer because that shady customer next to you was immediately suspended before he had chance to get started.

If you rent a house to somebody, and remain the owner, you cannot arbitrarily walk into their home and start rifling through their belongings. Why do you feel that it's OK to do the same here? Do the services you work on/operate have the same features?

Thanked by 4Brad Mark_R RLT TriDoxiuM
  • jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited September 2014

Zen said: You're right, it's also crazy for security to search people at the airport

Really, now? NSA, airport are legal authorities. They have the right to search you, according with what the law says. NSA can search for data, but Ministry of Agricultural, for example, cannot. If someone from there do it, he will go to jail. Airport authorities can search you when departing, the guys that sells coffee at the airport can't. Since when GVH / Jon can take the law in his hands?

Zen said: They are deciding what they want to allow on their property/service. It's their decision, and has nothing to do with law.

No, they can't. The law says different. It is not exactly their property. It is a business product that they rent it. It is the renter's property. And even if you argue that the physical node has been brought by the provider, the data have not. They are entirely customer's property.

It is like when you rent a house. If you are the renter, you can hide cocaine inside the house. The owner of the house cannot come inside and search it. Police with a warrant can. If the owner or the building administrator has an extra key (for safety in case of fire etc.) and comes into your house just to search it, then, even if he finds the cocaine he goes to jail.

Zen said: or for it to be illegal to wear a helmet in a store/bank/etc

No offense, but this is a stupid argument. If you get in a Bank with a helmet on your head, they didn't break in your house or your rental property. They didn't reveal any personal data to do it, you are in a public view and anybody can see that you hiding your face. Anyway, even then, if you come to a bank or a store and wearing helmet, they don't put you in jail if you don't robber them, they just ask you to remove it from your head. What the hell is that having to do with the laws about privacy in the hosting industry?

Zen said: It's their decision, and has nothing to do with law.

A business (a provider is a business) has to follow what law says. He maybe is writing in his TOS/AUP: "I have the right to tale your money for a service and if I don't like you or if I found you are black or Portorican we have the right to deny to give you service and keep your money". So, this gives them the right to do it? No.
    If you sue them, you will win and get your money back (the problem is that for 5-10 per month, as in GVH case, nobody in reality will sue them because this costs a lot of money and time for just getting back some bucks).

eddynetweb said: Tell that to the NSA.

Well, it has been in public for long time now that in certain cases NSA had cross the line of the law. Google, Microsoft, even individuals has filed a lawsuit against NSA and Federal Government, when it revealed that NSA was snooping on their client's data without a court order. So, because Governments are trampling the law, that does not mean that they have the right to do it.

To clarify, I'm talking about light pro-active monitoring and detection of certain applications or usages. It's no different from your ISP running QoS, really.

Who is the guy that can determinate what a "light pro-active monitoring" is? Is there a law for that? No. This is not an automatic detection of certain applications. GVH did not monitor torrent in generally because he do not want torrents generally in his service (this can be done). He snooped the data. Quality of Service is not spying/snooping data. It detect abusing of service. It is forbidden for an ISP to snoop what data you have, except if he gets a DMCA (in US) and a court order (in US and the rest of the world).

TL;DR

The only way even for US government to spy/snoop your data without a court order, is with the Patriot Act. Even then, if you go to court, they have to prove that they had legal reasons to be suspicious on you.
    DMCA is different: if a copyright owner finds out that a website / ip / user is hosting or trafficking illegal content, then, they can fill a DMCA for the EXACT copyright item that has found in the SPECIFIC ip. Usually then, the provider informs his client to remove in 24 hours the illegal content, or in some cases he terminates the account (wrong practice, IMHO).

Well, here, what is the case? Did GVH received a DMCA notice? NO! He illegally snooped on another citizen's property, his data. So, he is braking the law. But, what expectations can we have of being legal from a 17 y/o boy?

Thanked by 1eddynetweb
  • DarwinDarwin Member
    edited September 2014

Sorry, but a vps is not a house. Using your analogy a vps is a hostel.

About the OP subject, both are great providers.

• Technically, with the way OpenVZ containers (and their processes within) are handled, the processes (in a very basic sense) are simply sandboxed and running on the host node. Instead of comparing it to a person renting a house, you should be comparing it to a guest staying for a set period of time - in a public room no less. We simply search for processes (such as "tor" and "rtorrent" and flag those containers for review.