Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OnApp bought SolusVM - Page 5
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OnApp bought SolusVM

1235»

Comments

• AnthonySmith said: Prepare to be amazed that I am giving them a break :)

I suspect for the new dev team to get to grips with the core code and elements would take several weeks and then it would probably be rewritten to conform with their own standard practices.

I would bet it is probably being redeveloped right now to do exactly what it does now + some minor fixes along the way in order to make future progress much more rapid.

I would not expect anything for at least another 6 - 8 weeks at the very least but I would expect that to be a significant change,

I sincerely hope they aren't rewriting the whole damn thing, that would be ridiculous.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Corey said: I sincerely hope they aren't rewriting the whole damn thing, that would be ridiculous.

I am not sure, it might be better. After a while, reused code and new programmers make the product not only obsolete, insecure and hard to maintain, but also hard to understand by young programmers, so, they would rather re-write it, code is written much faster these days, it may involve less effort than learning and debugging code written by someone else.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

yep lose the battle win the war, sometimes it is best to tank the hard work up front for future scaleability and uniformity.

• Old code usually tends to get...ugly over time. You start seeing a lot more cheap hacks than before.

• @rds100 said:
    So a month and a half later the development of SolusVM seems to have stalled once again, old bugs are not being fixed, nothing seems to happen there.

What's the status now? The OnApp ownership gave me renewed faith, but I'm curios what they will do with Solus.

Thanked by 1Maximum_VPS
  • mpkossen said: What's the status now?

Nothing new it seems. They are still catching up i guess.
    Their invoices display "OnApp Ltd." now, but the paypal payments still go to "SolusVM Ltd." so go figure.

• I never got my price-lock agreement :(

• @mpkossen said:
    What's the status now? The OnApp ownership gave me renewed faith, but I'm curios what they will do with Solus.

They got a new website. Apart from that, nothing.

• MSPNickMSPNick Member
    edited December 2014

@mpkossen said:

http://solusvm.com/blog/whats-on-its-way/

This is on there website... meh.

• MSPNick said: http://solusvm.com/blog/whats-on-its-way/

This is on there website... meh.

They said something, they said nothing.

• Has a new version been pushed since OnApp took ownership?

• charliecharlie Member, Host Rep

@wych said:
    Has a new version been pushed since OnApp took ownership?

No.
    The last version was released in August.

Thanked by 1wych
  • Yep, OnApp are going to kill it in place of another product.

• @0xdragon said:
    Yep, OnApp are going to kill it in place of another product.

that would be sad but i didn't expect it to end well anyways - why would they keep continueing the solus panel while they can put this effort into their own OnApp panel.

• ditlevditlev Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@0xdragon said:
    Yep, OnApp are going to kill it in place of another product.

No, SolusVM will stay around. We've invested heavily into the platform, but we also need to focus a bit on the overall solidity, security and QA before rolling out new features&releases.

Thanked by 1Dylan