Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OnApp bought SolusVM - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OnApp bought SolusVM

Comments

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited September 2014

Abdullah said: I honestly do not see a problem here if everything that comes with SolusVM still keeps coming at the same price and they allow enterprise features for an extra price.

Agreed, I just have doubts that will actually happen, legacy road map items for solusvm will become chargeable features etc.

It would not surprise me if in 3 years you have a node+backup+clustering that instead of costing you $10 p/month it will cost you $50 p/month and these are all things that solusvm had planned anyway but the basic node license does not change price.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

IMO it is going to be quite a struggle, solusvm is for a different market, you do not really wish to bring that segment to onapp.
    But, again, I do not have all the facts IMO for the move to be successful, a price increase has to happen, simply to increase the entry threshold for some hosts which will move to free products as they will never move to onapp anyway, just get cloudstack or other open source thing.

there will be the corporate market with own clouds or rented cvasi-own clouds with full access to some nodes, such as a full cluster of vmware or rhev which they will manage by simply adding more dedis and storage and everyone else where internal security audits do allow external data storage (normally, less and less SMEs considering large scale spying that goes on).
    So, either proprietary clouds DIY, homegrown for big corporations with special plans from the provider including on-site support or FOSS hosted. The middle way does not seem to make much sense, unless pricing is really low.

• With ditlev and team taking over, it only increases my confidence in SolusVM's future thats all :)

• someguysomeguy Member
    edited September 2014

@httpzoom said:
    I'm not sure why anyone is stressed out about this.

If anything I can see this improving SolusVM (which wasn't really being updated properly) and maybe we'll even see upgrade paths to OnApp which would be fantastic.

Why? OnApp is a complete different animal. A very very expensive completely different animal. There are worlds of difference between Solus and their licensing compared to OnApp.

If people want OnApp they can get OnApp. Don't see what benefit Solus + OnApp would bring. Whatever angle they find I guarantee you there will be an additional charge. It won't be Solus type pricing but OnApp type pricing which is many orders of magnitude larger.

The more I think about it and the more I am hearing here from apparently official people in OnApp, the more I want to start planning to migrate. One thing I'm guessing is coming are updates with 'features' that will make it more difficult to migrate away from Solus. That's how OnApp works as a company philosophy. Not unlike Microsoft. Would not be surprised if they have a lot of former M$ people working for them now. Figuring out how to lock people in as hard as possible to their proprietary technology and then licence the heck out of them.

No thanks. Not gonna play that game. This isn't my first rodeo by a long shot and I pretty much know what's coming. Here is my first crystal ball prediction. The long awaited return of the central backup server will require the purchase of an extra license. Not talking $10 a month either. Probably more like $50. If they can figure out a way to do the licensing based on the number of VPS's that are backed up they may find that irresistible. Kind of like how Solus already has a mini and standard slave license.

Also, I consider my predictions quite optimistic. An ever worse case is they make the product worse while simultaneously raising prices. Seen that happen quite often too. They always say they will keep the aquired company as a separate entity. However, once the bean counters start looking at the number they will want to reduce what their spreadsheets indicate as overlap and the inevitable downward spiral will begin.

What OnApp does and what Solus do are very different things catering to very different markets. However to a bean counter it looks pretty much the same on a spreadsheet. Even looks pretty much the same to casual tech oriented people. VM's are just VM's after all. No big diff.

Thanked by 1Maximum_VPS
  • CloudxtnyHostCloudxtnyHost Member, Host Rep

@someguy, unfortunately I do not believe that is true and you are in a panic without any reason to be.

Onapp have been active in the thread saying business as normal and that currently SolusVM is very very profitable on the current pricing.

The standard pricing for Onapp does seem quite high, however I'm sure when contacting their sales team if you get to the right person and you are the right size of business there are none standard pricing which makes things cheaper.

If you are this worried email and sure what is coming is coming, call Ditlev out and let him have egg all over his face when it happens, he's already come out and said he'd take a personal wager with someone! Ask for the same.

• Hope they will offer at least some support.

• @someguy said:
    Would not be surprised if they have a lot of former M$ people working for them now. Figuring out how to lock people in as hard as possible to their proprietary technology and then licence the heck out of them.

Thanks .. you made my day !! :D if you only knew how much we have that philosophy !

PS - we did had two MS people working for us in the past, it was just not a fit and they have since been let go ;)

• We'll be ramping up production on our own custom solution. I'm skeptical about this, and it just gives us more reason to do what we wanted to do in the first place.

• Mark_RMark_R Member
    edited September 2014

the pricing may change and OnApp has every right to do this, I myself do not like the idea either but its their business - switching to another panel is always possible when it comes to that point. For now we might aswel stay open-minded about the whole thing as long it lasts?

• ditlevditlev Member, Top Host, Host Rep
    edited September 2014

I had no idea the price discussion would become so dominant.
    We've had a few large clients reach out to get written contracts in place that guarantee's pricing in the future.

We're happy to do that, just send me an email ([email protected]). We're happy to commit to as long as you are, but we will not do paperwork for clients paying less than $100/month.

:)

D

• Maximum_VPSMaximum_VPS Member
    edited September 2014

"We're happy to commit to as long as you are, but we will not do paperwork for clients paying less than $100/month." = onapp

I should not say anything more, as i am way to tired to be browsing LET.

Thoughts?

• @ditlev said:
    We've had a few large clients reach out to get written contracts in place that guarantee's pricing in the future.

We're happy to do that, just send me an email ([email protected]). We're happy to commit to as long as you are, but we will not do paperwork for clients paying less than $100/month.

D

Fired an email your way ;)

@ditlev said:

D

That is more than fair, I will shoot you an email in the morning.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

How about price gradation? Can't hurt to ask.

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

Soon as I finish my custom VM panel I'll be cancelling Solus it's a fine product just not everything we need and tons of stuff we don't.

• shovenose said: Soon as I finish my custom VM panel

Thanked by 1netomx
  • shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

LOL

• Ok so as predicted the seeds of grandfathered in pricing begins. Or as described here, 'price guarantees'. If that isn't a sign of increased pricing on the way I don't know what is.

What I don't expect OnApp to understand is that Solus users are much much more sensitive to price than OnApp users. It's a very different market.

• hosthatchhosthatch Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@someguy said:
    Ok so as predicted the seeds of grandfathered in pricing begins. Or as described here, 'price guarantees'. If that isn't a sign of increased pricing on the way I don't know what is.

What I don't expect OnApp to understand is that Solus users are much much more sensitive to price than OnApp users. It's a very different market.

OnApp says they have no plans to increase pricing, people don't believe them and ask for something solid. OnApp offers to do it in writing, you say it's a bad sign....what exactly do you expect them to do?

Thanked by 2Maounique mpkossen
    edited September 2014

Abdullah said: what exactly do you expect them to do

put a toaster in a bag and swing it round hitting Phill with it over and over again while reading a legally binding statement live on youtube.

• @AnthonySmith said:
    put a toaster in a bag and swing it round hitting Phill with it over and over again while reading a legally binding statement live on youtube.

I'd watch that.

Thanked by 1netomx

serverian said: I'd watch that.

I would accept a price hike to watch that.

Thanked by 3Corey netomx Maounique
  • So a month and a half later the development of SolusVM seems to have stalled once again, old bugs are not being fixed, nothing seems to happen there.

rds100 said: So a month and a half later the development of SolusVM seems to have stalled once again, old bugs are not being fixed, nothing seems to happen there.

Prepare to be amazed that I am giving them a break :)

I suspect for the new dev team to get to grips with the core code and elements would take several weeks and then it would probably be rewritten to conform with their own standard practices.

I would bet it is probably being redeveloped right now to do exactly what it does now + some minor fixes along the way in order to make future progress much more rapid.

I would not expect anything for at least another 6 - 8 weeks at the very least but I would expect that to be a significant change,

• I hope this is not one of the many ''acquisition'' where the target is only pure profit, Lest hope for the best :)

• AnthonySmith said: for the new dev team to get to grips with the core code and elements

I thought they would keep the "new UK based dev team" that Phil was so proud with.

• ditlevditlev Member, Top Host, Host Rep

We've kept all the current developers, added 2 additional developers and looking for more.
    We're working on a lot of new features, and obviously overall improvements, however getting new guys accustomed to the application and methodologies will take a bit of time.

As you can see we've not increased pricing, and have no plans to do so.

Thanked by 1rds100

ditlev said: getting new guys accustomed to the application and methodologies will take a bit of time.

That's what I meant, it is hard to walk someone through 5 years of work in a few weeks :)

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

AnthonySmith said: That's what I meant, it is hard to walk someone through 5 years of work in a few weeks

I bet if someone really wants it, will find a new disastrous bug in that time.

• I am new here, but the reason I signed up is to watch whats happening with Solus. We are in the same camp that if prices go up, we'd probably switch to something else. We aren't a big company and I don't need millions of features, just something that makes it easy for me to manage. One of the biggest "feature" requests I'd like to see on the dashboard is something that shows all the servers at once with all the stats of each server, kinda like Proxmox does. Having to click through various servers is a pain to see what each is.