Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OnApp bought SolusVM - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OnApp bought SolusVM

Comments

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

fileMEDIA said: Yes talked last year and this year with paul. Answer: Not planned yet..

That is a great sign of things to come, 2014 and no ISO mount.

• NullMind said: The price you have today you will be able to continue to have, there are no plans to change it and should anything "ever" change you will be able to continue to buy your licenses for the price now, but let me reiterate .. there are no plans for change.

So it's safe to assume you mean the following:

After the acquisition of SolusVM, although there are no plans on changing the pricing, existing SolusVM Customers will have Grandfather pricing. Which means IF the SolusVM Pricing changes, existing clients will NOT be affected by that change, neither for existing nor for newly purchased licenses.

• @NullMind said:
    There are over 900 direct customers in OnApp, but that translates to over 2000 clouds and over 1k hosts (going trough partners, etc)

Still doesn't make it "thousands of service providers". i.e 2000+ :p

• @AnthonySmith said:
    How about future licenses post price change if/when you change prices in 6 months.

We are not that kind of company, you will always be able to continue to buy your licenses at the rate you do today. :)

Our goal in looking at Solus was not to get it's license business and rape it, heck I've been there when I sold to Parallels back in 2005 ;) , we see this as a great channel for federation and a great untapped market for those VPS providers to expand.

• serverian said: Still doesn't make it "thousands of service providers". i.e 2000+ :p

Yes, it does. If you take into account that many of those 900 direct customers have direct and sub resellers, it adds up.

• @serverian it's 0.9 thousands ;-)

• NullMindNullMind Member
    edited September 2014

@serverian said:
    Still doesn't make it "thousands of service providers". i.e 2000+ :p

I'm sure Ditlev was thinking thousands of "clouds", who when you take in consideration all the resellers of those clouds, it does translate to thousands of providers in the platform, sorry for the confusion.

• @DalekOfSkaro said:
    Yes, it does. If you take into account that many of those 900 direct customers have direct and sub resellers, it adds up.

Get real :)

@NullMind said:
    I'm sure Ditlev was thinking thousands of "clouds", it slips, sorry about that.

Makes sense.

NullMind said: We are not that kind of company, you will always be able to continue to buy your licenses at the rate you do today. :)

Our goal in looking at Solus was not to get it's license business and rape it, heck I've been there when I sold to Parallels back in 2005 ;) , we see this as a great channel for federation and a great untapped market for those VPS providers to expand.

Ok thanks, and finally you can confirm that your position within the company is one that can actually make this decision?

Sorry for the skepticism however this really should have been covered in more detail.

• @DalekOfSkaro said:
    Well, that would nice, Carlos. Along with integrating with PowerDNS, maybe? The ISO mount will probably open the door to using many other operating systems with OnApp. It just needs to come sooner :-)

If I showed you our to-do/wishlist list you be amazed :)

• @AnthonySmith said:
    Sorry for the skepticism however this really should have been covered in more detail.

Google his name :p

• @AnthonySmith said:
    Ok thanks, and finally you can confirm that your position within the company is one that can actually make this decision?

I understand your skepticism, a change is never easy and we believed we had covered it by specifying there are no planned price changes, as thats usually the first thing people worry about.

• NullMind said: If I showed you our to-do/wishlist list you be amazed :)

Well, show it to me :-P I can PM you my name (You already know me, kind of).

• I would also like to see the to-do/wish list

edited September 2014

@serverian said:
    Google his name :p

"As Chief Visionary Officer" ??

NullMind said: no planned price changes

the key word being planned we are not a bunch of twats, that is marketing bollocks 99/100 times.

• @AnthonySmith said:
    the key word being planned we are not a bunch of twats, that is marketing bollocks 99/100 times.

Well, we made it as clear as it can be, no planned pricing changes (because thats not our focus) and if any price structure was to change, the current price would still be attainable, so i'd like to hear what other questions and concerns people have.

• @DalekOfSkaro said:
    Well, show it to me :-P I can PM you my name (You already know me, kind of).

It's the whole "if I show you I will have to .... you" ;)

No, for real, ping me at [email protected] .. Ill be happy to discuss with over the phone some of our roadmap.

• NullMind said: It's the whole "if I show you I will have to .... you" ;)

You've got mail :-P

• @NullMind Bring IS to SolusVM, please ;)

• @hien said:
    NullMind Bring IS to SolusVM, please ;)

Not totally out of question ;)

• ditlevditlev Member, Top Host, Host Rep
    edited September 2014

Guys, I just wanted to chime in on the whole price discussion.
    As I said in the press release, SolusVM brings another 'few millions' of revenue to OnApp, and while that is awesome - it's not the reason we were interested in making this deal happen.

Just like Uber and AirBnB did in their space, we're on track to form a movement that will enable the long tail of service providers to 'fight back', grow and compete in a market where the megahosts (AWS, Azure, etc) are doubling in size every year...
    I've been a service provider most of my professional life, and I've felt the pain of getting squeezed on margins and having to deal with CAPEX requirements when growing fast or rolling out new DC's. It's tough, and with our federated marketplace we're about to make it easier.

For our plans to work out we need to increase marketplace participation - that is our end game - not to nickle and dime this and try to squeeze a few more $$ out of every client.

Also, IF we increased pricing it would just incentivise your move to other platforms - there are plenty of other choices - and then the movement we're trying to from here would eventually fail.

Actually down the line ... years from now ... I could easily imagine the actual software being close to free.

I hope that makes sense, but feel free to ping me directly ([email protected]) if you've got questions or comments - or just to say hi.

:)

D

• @ditlev so the old company will be closed? I see that the invoice info in the client area has already changed:

Pay To
    OnApp Ltd
    The Cooperage
    Old Truman Brewery
    91 Brick Lane
    London
    E1 6QL 

• DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider

Price will be increased. ;/

WHMCS Join hands with cPanel and close Reseller Plan and Increase price.

• ditlevditlev Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@rds100 said:
    ditlev so the old company will be closed? I see that the invoice info in the client area has already changed:

> Pay To
    > OnApp Ltd
    > The Cooperage
    > Old Truman Brewery
    > 91 Brick Lane
    > London
    > E1 6QL 
    > 

For various reasons (mostly really just to keep the transaction simple) we did not take over the actual legal entity that operated Solus, only the Solus related assets, incl. team etc.

That's pretty usual practise in deals like this.
    :)
    D

• @ditlev said:
    D

Great, now that OnAPP owns it, does that mean we FINALLY get the backup system we had been promised? ;)

@SkylarM said:
    Great, now that OnAPP owns it, does that mean we FINALLY get the backup system we had been promised? ;)

I am on the fence tbh, especially if onapp does not have iso mounting yet :) a functional backup system may be a bit far fetched.

• @AnthonySmith said:
    I am on the fence tbh, especially if onapp does not have iso mounting yet :) a functional backup system may be a bit far fetched.

Was going to say that but didn't. Don't want people to flag me as onApp hater like they flagged you as SolusVM hater :p

edited September 2014

serverian said: Was going to say that but didn't. Don't want people to flag me as onApp hater like they flagged you as SolusVM hater :p

haha indeed.

Honestly my opinions are only formed based on using stuff, the problems I encounter and the response to those problems weighed up against my own expectations which can make things a little unfair on the vendors I suppose when my own expectations are set by high level true enterprise grade projects from my past.

The people that label me as a solusvm hater are really just saying it for the sake of saying it, I don't hate solusvm, I have had my run ins but they are only born from frustration, Phill will be the first to admit that things have progressed slowly over recent years, my problem is I tend to call a spade a spade and publicly and perhaps in hind sight that should have been more reserved.

I have a background in technical project management in multi billion dollar environments and at a very high level so a lot of my frustration is failure to understand how such slippage has happened over the years.

I am on the fence still about the onapp take over however my one hope from this is that when the dev team at onapp start working with solusvm the migration path and migration automation from solusvm to onapp is made much more seamless, had this been the case a few years ago I probably would not by typing this now as I would already be using onapp instead of solusvm.

I genuinely hope this works but frankly it would not surprise me to see the same project slippage and lack of progress and innovation continue, sadly you cant say things like that without being labeled a hater but that is how I feel and I would say the same thing to anyone's face in person.

That said, Phill still sent me a thanks for being a customer solusvm post card a while back so any run ins obviously did not cut too deep :) and also given some of my last comments in a fairly recent ticket this whole thing is pretty ironic but I will keep that bit private, Phill will understand though haha.

Thanked by 1ditlev
  • sumosumo Member
    edited September 2014

Everything in this post is pure speculation, but ...

The acquisition can be disruptive for the marketplace (especially under $20/month) and provide an immediate and large competitor to DO, Vultr, Linode, etc with the potential for exponential growth.

Just extrapolating on what @ditlev mentioned above, the acquisition of SolusVM allows the Onapp Federation entry to a large customer base that is quite a different segment to the current Onapp customers. Extending from their Cloud.net offering, what Onapp can do is in the future, offer the SolusVM an upgrade/inclusion to the Onapp Federation.

From the end users' perspective, this will help standardize the different VPSs around. An end user can compare performance benchmarks such as uptime, IO peformance, etc. Controlling the software that providers use is a smart move to quickly offer an inclusion to a federated marketplace. Additionally from the end users' perspective, there would be a more standardized support system.

On the note of standardization, this could be good or bad, depending on your viewpoint, but prices will converge even more along with service. I will assume the Onapp Federation will only allow hosts who surpass a minimum benchmark to allow to join.

In the top tier segment for SolusVM, this may not affect the providers much as those providers would probably have spare capacity. It may affect the mid tier providers more, though it will help those with excessive chronic spare capacity. In the low tier segment, it may be difficult to join the federation because of the number of fly by night hosts. Weeding them out will be one of the benefits or the federated approach.

To be Orwellian, if the Onapp Federation becomes as large as, say, Amazon AWS, and the de facto marketplace for VPS, that would mean many providers would gain an additional marketplace, but lose the ability to truly be independent. I see that as possibilities for Uber and AirBnB as well, though probably not at the speed that Onapp can run.

Regardless, I have to hand it to Onapp for having a vision

Edit: Should add this was just off the top of my head, not really a well crafted post

• I honestly don't see what's so horrible about OnApp buying SolusVM. Look at this way, SolusVM is now OnApp "cheaper" product. OnApp will not raise SolusVM's pricing, and IF they do, existing users will have Grandfathered pricing right anyway. @NullMind couldn't stress it enough.

Both products are great and will benefit from eachother. I do agree with what @sumo said, but I think many here are freaking out about nothing.

Cheer up, folks. Everything is good!

Thanked by 1AnthonySmith