Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LEB Prices for OVZ vs. XEN/KVM - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

LEB Prices for OVZ vs. XEN/KVM

13»

Comments

• TazTaz Member
    edited June 2012

@PAD I see. Thanks a lot for your kind remarks.

Here are some words that might suite your need, dedicated and shared.
    I have nodes on 2G dedicated ports and trust me the amount of bandwidth I push through that is something you can ever imagine.

I agree providers oversells. But not everyone oversells their diskspace and ram. May be on I/o and network and maybe on CPU.
    If your only logic is diskspace, it is difficult to oversell on kvm. Agreed. But who is stopping the provider from overselling memory by ballooning , they can still oversell network and all the rest goodies.
    It is Linux God damnit. You can do anything you want to.

@PAD do you own any Vps business? Are you an admin of every single vps node out there? If not do not assume. Cause that makes an ass out of you not me.
    My business provided ovz vps for 3+years. Not atleast once can anyone claim nor proove that my business had oversold on ram and disk space.
    No wonder Fran and aldryic stopped posting. Assuming is a bad habit. Stjop doing that and we all can have fun.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@PAD said: With VZ, everyone oversells, to some degree, [...]

Considering OpenVZ does not mandate overselling but only enables it, making a blanket statement such as 'everyone oversells' is ridiculous. You can only make this claim about those hosts that you have verified to be overselling.

As for bandwidth, you don't need OpenVZ to oversell that, so if you include bandwidth in the 'everyone oversells' mantra, virtualization technology doesn't matter anymore at all, and KVM/Xen providers are overselling just as well.

• TazTaz Member

@joepie91 thank you.

• PADPAD Member

@NinjaHawk

I can imagine, I have the experience. This isn't a 'my epenis is bigger than your epenis' fight - what you said is simply wrong. All you've done in reply to me is highlight that certain resources aren't oversold and certain resources are, my point was based entirely on the fact that SOME resource will be oversold.

Do I need to own a VPS business? I think you're a little bit high and mighty if you think that this is some sort of great feat.

I don't care about your business, your ram or disk space, or whatever resource you claim not to oversell, overselling is overselling, you're just pointing out the black knob on the white door. Congratulations on a failed argument.

• PADPAD Member
    edited June 2012

@joepie91 - That's the whole majority/minority argument, however in this case the majority is 99% if not more, you need to oversell some resource at some point, its a general feature of every service ever offered, lol. However, my main argument is that overselling isn't a bad thing, if it isn't a bad thing (which it isn't, but can be) then there is no need to argue whether it happens or not. Advertising that you're NOT overselling is just as useless as advertising that you ARE overselling.

• TazTaz Member

@PAD show me a proof from atleast 10 well known oVz provider that oversells and you will no longer see me here.
    ( do not include Burstnet).

• PADPAD Member

I've already told you that the only way to prove overselling is using Disk/RAM which can be related to other things such as misconfiguration.

Please give me your genius idea on how to tell that a provider is inherently overselling, without knowing their EXACT client count per server, the EXACT specifications of their server, EXACT information on their upstream/bandwidth.

Continue with the stupid requests, I have all day.

• yomeroyomero Member

@NinjaHawk said: show me a proof from atleast 10 well known oVz provider that oversells and you will no longer see me here.

Bah
    Everybody provides 100 mbits ports for each client. Each node has more than 10 clients, so, the nodes have >1gbit ports, nah. Oversell
    Everybody provides 1,2,4 cores. Each node has an average of 8 cores. The node has 8,4 and 2 clients? Nah. Oversell.
    And finally, all the clients are fighting for disk read/write. Disks never are enough, and sometimes the I/O performance spikes and goes to hell (in EVERY host). Oversell.

Isn't just about memory...

And maybe you will tell me that all these resources are shared. The question is how much "shared" is.

Last post here. This is becoming another classic thread.

• TazTaz Member

@PAD if you can not proove why are you claiming such?

• TazTaz Member

@yomero
    I have accepted those already. I was talking about most common overselling ( aka HD and Ram).

• PADPAD Member

You must be insanely dumb.

I'm outta here, good idea Yomero.

This is becoming another classic thread. I try to dodge stupidity, today, in this thread, I have failed.

• TazTaz Member

A huge giant Hentai face palm.

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

Ninja, if your nodes are oversold and you are able to keep them going well then you are a great provider (even in the eyes of your clients). :P

• yomeroyomero Member
    edited June 2012

@prometeus said: Ninja, if your nodes are oversold and you are able to keep them going well then you are a great provider

That is the point.
    The art of controlling overselling.

PS: Came back because prometeus is da man xD

bb

• TazTaz Member

@Prometheus a huge giant hentai handshake. Well said.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@PAD said: That's the whole majority/minority argument, however in this case the majority is 99% if not more

Then say a 'majority' and not 'all'. Very simple.

Thanked by 1Infinity
  • tommytommy Member

@NinjaHawk said: @Nick_A said: I'm just curious because I actually have a small vps with them - how have you confirmed that?

confirmed what? That they are not oversold? From Experience.

I agree with you :) my server serving about 3000 U/d

load average: 0.42, 0.32, 0.31

I've using another provider garman, infinitie, I dont remember more, and load always more tha 1, and loading really slow.

I can using all of RAM and Hardisk allocated to vps. (on testing stage I fullfill my VPS space with trash files 99%)

• OliverOliver Member, Host Rep

I like ice cream.

• jcalebjcaleb Member

my guess is monitoring abusers is more important than overselling a bit?

Thanked by 2yomero tux
  • jcalebjcaleb Member

Is it easy to request for additional disk for OVZ, KVM should you need more? No need reinstall OS?

• yomeroyomero Member

@jcaleb said: KVM should you need more? No need reinstall OS?

Is complex IIRC. Resizing the image, and then resize at the OS level.

Thanked by 1jcaleb