Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LEB Prices for OVZ vs. XEN/KVM - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

LEB Prices for OVZ vs. XEN/KVM

Comments

• @prometheus do you also offer custom kvm plans besides the 15yr promo?

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

@djvdorp said: do you also offer custom kvm plans besides the 15yr promo?

Send a PM, will see what I can do :-)

• jcalebjcaleb Member
    edited June 2012

i already have 1GB from Prometeus, its doin great.

About my question, is it because you can commit twice in OVZ of what you can commit on Xen/KVM? Memory wise.

• vanarpvanarp Member

@jcaleb said: About my question, is it because you can commit twice in OVZ of what you can commit on Xen/KVM? Memory wise.

If I understand it correctly, what you said + OpenVZ does not require any CPU when idle and so more vCPU cores.

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • KairusKairus Member

@jcaleb said: About my question, is it because you can commit twice in OVZ of what you can commit on Xen/KVM? Memory wise.

Full virtualization is going to require more resources than OpenVZ which are really just containers. Xen HVM and KVM run their own kernel have their own drivers, etc which each use their own memory and CPU usage. It's always seemed easier to overcommit on OVZ as well.

• jcalebjcaleb Member
    edited June 2012

Prometeus aside, it seems this will be the LEB price limit for now right? 1024gb for OVZ, 512mb for others. Unless things goes cheaper perhaps next year?

@prometeus what is the answer to your question on how much memory was sold?

• KairusKairus Member

@jcaleb said: Prometeus aside, it seems this will be the LEB price limit for now right? 1024gb for OVZ, 512mb for others. Unless things goes cheaper perhaps next year?

Forgetting ChicagoVPS' 2GB for $7 OVZ.

• jcalebjcaleb Member

@Kairus said: Forgetting ChicagoVPS' 2GB for $7 OVZ.

Yes, correct. I think those 2 are exceptions to the rule

• vanarpvanarp Member

Earlier I read here on LET about Chicago VPS using some older nodes for the 2GB plan (OpenVZ).

I have been thinking how Prometeus is able to sell KVM so cheap (price-wise) when the same is priced at $20/mo from BuyVM.

• jcalebjcaleb Member

My guess is that both ChicagoVPS and Prometeus have very good deals/connection with their DCs, hence the price.

• @jcaleb why use OpenVZ? You can get kvm-based VPS for the same price...ok...maybe not in the US...but here in germany of course... :-)

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

We have set a longer ROI and ask for a six month minimum commitment (for the lower price) to the client. This way the nodes generate a more stable cash flow and keep away one month abuser giving in turn a better service. I've learned a lot in the last months here :)

• jcalebjcaleb Member
    edited June 2012

@mistert you mean aside from prometeus, you know 1GB KVM in germany? i only read 512mb offers.

@prometeus your regular price already looks discounted =)

• @jcaleb ähm...don´t know where you were looking...? :-) Our kvm-servers provide up to 8GB (kvm based), 4 vcpu-cores, up to 1TB of storage etc.... And most of the german providers also provide more than 512MB...just have a look... http://www.de-punkt.de/vserver.html

• jcalebjcaleb Member
    edited June 2012

@mistert Sorry, I'm not very familiar with Germany offers. help, where to click to convert to English in your site?

Edit: What's the max memory for leb price?

• @jcaleb we don´t have a translation (like most of the german providers don´t have :P )
    LEB Price (6,59 USD) would be about 2GB RAM...but kvm-based.

Thanked by 3jcaleb djvdorp NanoG6
  • jcalebjcaleb Member

thank you sir. is that a norm in germany?

• mistertmistert Member
    edited June 2012

nope....not a norm...but vps-market in germany is quite big and we do have a lot of experienced technicans there...so most of the provider in germany only use kvm, xen or vmware (in germany only the "noobs" are using openVZ)....That are the "rules"... ;-)

In the US it seems to be different...nearly everyone is provding OVZ or xen...?!

• vanarpvanarp Member

@mistert said: in germany only the "noobs" are using openVZ

Quite matured guys, I guess ;)

@mistert said: LEB Price (6,59 USD) would be about 2GB RAM...but kvm-based

Your Medium plan shows 1 vCPU / 1024 MB / 50 GB/ 500 GB @ Euro 7.99 (= USD 10). I could not see any plan that offers what you quoted above. Are you sure?

• jcalebjcaleb Member

@vanarp said: Your Medium plan shows 1 vCPU / 1024 MB / 50 GB/ 500 GB @ Euro 7.99 (= USD 10). I could not see any plan that offers what you quoted above. Are you sure?

I think those are his regular price. The one he quote above maybe special offer.

• ThorinThorin Member
    edited June 2012

Another advantage of KVM is that you can control your network interface and monitor your bandwidth usage using something like openstatus. I have a vServer VPS with EDIS and just realized today that there's no virtual interface and thus no way for me to know how much bandwidth I'm using until it's too late and I owe them more money.

• rds100rds100 Member

@Thorin on the other hand they don't care or charge you for bandwidth over usage, so nothing to worry about :)

Thanked by 1Thorin
  • ThorinThorin Member
    edited June 2012

That's not exactly how @William explained it to me, and I don't expect him to confirm that here but if true, that would be cool. I don't need TUN/TAP or to load my own kernel and I doubt they're overselling by much if at all. It's also interesting that while I can't monitor my own bandwidth usage, I can monitor the bandwidth of their host machine. My node in Sweden is actually using less bandwidth since I began monitoring it than my home network in South Korea. :p

• jcalebjcaleb Member

i think they could be more lenient depending on location.

• PADPAD Member

Reading this thread I deducted that @NinjaHawk has no knowledge of overselling.

Thanked by 2yomero Thorin
  • TazTaz Member

@PAD pleas tell me more.

• PADPAD Member
    edited June 2012

With VZ, everyone oversells, to some degree, with some reason, in some way, some how, it does not matter whether this 'effects' clients or not, most of the time if done correctly overselling is a great thing that will not effect clients, it will boost the revenue of the provider while still providing resources for the people that require them.

When someone purchases a VPS with XXX resources, there is an rather high chance that they will never utilize the full extent of their VPS - overselling takes advantage of this majority statistic and allows an provider to fully utilize the potential of the node, while keeping everyone happy.

You're naming a provider, an 'great' example of an 'non oversold ovz' provider. If they use OpenVZ, chances are they oversell one resource, to some degree, with some reason, in some way, some how.

Also, there are a few different ways to determine if your OpenVZ VPS is oversold, but these ways use things such as counting ram related statistics, swap, beancounters, and things like that, which in reality, are not ALWAYS related to overselling, but maybe to misconfiguration, which is just as bad if not worst than overselling, if you want to go around telling everyone overselling is bad, that is. In reality, it is great.

Just to pummel it into your brain some more, ever wondered why when ordering a dedicated server connected @ 1Gbps port you're probably only ever allowed to burst to lets say 200Mbps? Same thing, you aren't buying a dedicated resource, you're buying access to a resource, this is something which is generally well accepted in almost every resource based service provided ever.

That's what tells me that you, unlike some here, are just another guy that signed up on a VPS related forum with absolutely no idea of anything related to that scope of knowledge.

I mean damn, there are some smart people here, and everyone has quite a lot of knowledge.. but from what I've seen so far, some people really do talk out of their ass.

• OliverOliver Member, Host Rep

Probably worth remembering overselling isn't something unique to VPS services.

Companies providing many services do this: anyone who has done a lot of air travel will have seen first hand airlines overselling flight seats then trying to rescue themselves at the last moment by offering cash hand outs to people if they'll stay off an overbooked flight.

It's not inherently bad.

• PADPAD Member

@Oliver

Exactly my point. People don't realize this, I wrote up a huge 10 page blog on overselling in the hosting industry and why everyone needs to relax and take in some information, but I lost it a while back. People are just clueless.

• jcalebjcaleb Member

Aldryc will disagree with this