Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This is how Vultr treated me make up your own minds - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

This is how Vultr treated me make up your own minds

Comments

• @Caveman122 - He has two accounts at Vultr. One account had spammy customers, it was terminated. His other account was unaffected.

• So confusing. Didn't you say a client bought two VMs and used them to send spam?

• No, a client 2 days ago ordered a VPS form account number 2 with SMTP block active, on that account I had a vps with a client who had other clients on his VPS too, they were terminated, the first account that has no SMTP block and I control spamming control has 0 spam,

The terminated accont Vultr said you couldnt spam on as it had a block thats the account with 66%, previius VPS instances had run on that account too, I was informed of this, this morning a 7:38 and I sorted it shortly after, 8 hours later they terminated the account. The first account has many VPSs on it active now that im in the process of moving, and loads previously all with no problems, the second account was authorised and linked to the first. The spam report they received contained the spammers name.

1 account was terminated, either way it was linked to the first so you cant suddenly un-link it after telling me itsauthorised based on the info from the first one.

• @DaveA said:
    Caveman122 - He has two accounts at Vultr. One account had spammy customers, it was terminated. His other account was unaffected.

Excuse me 1 customer not customerS

• @Caveman122 - He also purposely set up 2 accounts because he knew one would have troublesome customers as per an earlier post. We'll review our policies tomorrow but this is definitely an odd case that doesn't fit in 99.99% of our customers situation.

• universal8universal8 Member
    edited August 2014

@DaveA said:
    Caveman122 - He also purposely set up 2 accounts because he knew one would have troublesome customers as per an earlier post. We'll review our policies tomorrow but this is definitely an odd case that doesn't fit in 99.99% of our customers situation.

True vultr style coming out again, no I told them and I have the ticket I place trusted clients on one account with smtp removed and unknown new clients on the others they said OK I am now considering how the facts are as usual bent, I think i may just go down the route of legal action, fact remains I was informed of the problem caused by 1 customer and dealt with it promptly, they still terminated the account, also time was spent developing API on the agreement this would not happen, also advertisement has been funded advertising their products so If they are going to carry on trying to bend the facts knowing fully 1 customer did this

• @universal8 Taking a pragmatic look at the situation, refunding the account, adding $200 in free credits, and offering to review our policies to make it more lenient for customers like you? I like that true Vultr style. Nobody is going to stop you from bashing if that's what you want to do.

Thanked by 2hostnoob switsys
  • ATHKATHK Member

@DaveA said:
    Caveman122 - He also purposely set up 2 accounts because he knew one would have troublesome customers

You've perceived that the wrong way (wow what you said is rude) he had another account with port 25 unblocked for trusted customers and the other account for non trusted this doesn't mean they aren't trusted due to spamming it could mean.. they are new clients and some of that trust needs to be built up before allowing them access to port 25...

Geeze you're supposed to be representing a company here at least you could do is read the OP properly.

edited August 2014

La> @DaveA said:

universal8 Taking a pragmatic look at the situation, refunding the account, adding $200 in free credits, and offering to review our policies to make it more lenient for customers like you? I like that true Vultr style. Nobody is going to stop you from bashing if that's what you want to do.

No because Vultr closed the account, and wouldnt re-instate it, you didnt even give me a chance to backup, now he can write bad reviews about my company, thats why, otherwise I would have said thank you I understand how it looked bad but no its like youre saying now you cant have 2 accounts after I checked if I can, but you didnt help me solve a bigger problem that was caused by closing my account even though I sorted the problem. As for the credit no one can control other peoples actions fully what if a client spams you will close that account too? exactly a risk I cant take so the credit is worthless.

edited August 2014

@DaveA said:
    universal8 Taking a pragmatic look at the situation, refunding the account, adding $200 in free credits, and offering to review our policies to make it more lenient for customers like you? I like that true Vultr style. Nobody is going to stop you from bashing if that's what you want to do.

Like me??? wanna get rude, lmao like you oldman giving the hosting industry a bad reputation

• ATHKATHK Member

I don't really care who is in the wrong here if you talk to customers like that you're a jerk.

I know where I won't be shopping in the future.. Stopping my VMs as we speak, Good bye Jerkulter hello DO

• ATHK said: Geeze you're supposed to be representing a company here at least you could do is read the OP properly.

they don't care about their customer, they only care about selling vps.

• universal8 said: try and make its sound like my fault

I'm not trying to make it your fault, I'm trying to understand the numbers. How many VMs were in the account? How many of those had spam reports against them?

universal8 said: Like me??? wanna get rude

I think you completely misread what @DaveA said. When he said "make it more lenient for customers like you" I think it was intended as a conciliatory gesture, a statement that you are not a bad customer, and that in this case the Vultr policy was perhaps wrong.

• @sleddog - My statement is definitely taken the wrong way. When I said "like you" i meant the small % of customers whom fall into these gaps and we will work to prevent this in the future.

• StevieStevie Member
    edited August 2014

From what I read I can see that vultr may have been a bit too quick to suspend, but @DaveA I believe acknowledges that and is willing to review Vultr'a TOS (which I do agree at the moment it does seems VERY strict) and gave $200 credit + a refund of the money they spent. He is trying to make good and I do not see any of his messages as being rude.

Personally I think vultr is good, I never had a problem with the support staff, it is sad when stuff like this happens, but we are only human and do make mistakes.

@universal8
    While I understand why you are upset, it was a bit of a mess-up I guess, but if DaveA does review/make the TOS more "relaxing" instead of ARMY like rules, I think you should give vultr a try? You got your money back and they gave you $200 because of this mess, I think you should try again in the future, Vultr is "kinda still new" and they are active and constantly adding new features, so that is a good thing in my opinion.

• ATHK said: doesn't mean they aren't trusted due to spamming

Why block port 25 then? Blocking 25 implies that they were not trusted with spam.

I would venture to say that there had been a communication issues here. So the account with supposedly blocked SMTP port was sending out spam then?

@universal8 I fully sympathise with you on the fact that they removed an account for the action of a few VPS on there without warning. However, it seems to me that they were under the impression that you had every intention to use that account solely for untrustworthy clients, and it seems you are in fact doing exactly that; using it for clients that can't even be trusted with port 25. The situation was handled poorly, however, I can see the reasoning.

Full refunds are issued, $200 credit given, Dave personally answers and assures you he will take care of the situation. In the end, one legitimate client's (and his clients) data was lost. Short of kissing your feet, what more do you want from him?

• @universal8 said:
    Like me??? wanna get rude, lmao like you oldman giving the hosting industry a bad reputation

by "like you" he no doubt meant resellers...

• I think this whole issue has gone to far and people aren't understanding our point of view.

A) We realize the policy may be too strict. We're going to change it completely.

B) We offered a 200.00 credit, we realize you're upset with us and probably won't use it, but it'll be there should you ever change your mind.

C) We're sorry this happened to you, and while we can't fix what's already transpired we will make changes to prevent this from happening again.

D) I never heard that our support staff was condescending before, and that will be addressed tomorrow as well.

Our goal is 100% satisfaction.

• UmcookiesUmcookies Member
    edited August 2014

Not sure why you're getting so bent out of shape about the "customers like you" comment, I took it as other resellers using Vultr services. You know, customers who are also like you.
    Maybe I'm too fresh to the LET market but I don't think it was a personal attack at all, perhaps just a poor choice of words to convey what they truly meant.

Turns out I hadn't refreshed the page and was a little behind the times...

• ATHKATHK Member

@Caveman122 said:

Blocking port 25 is done by many providers/resellers it's becoming a common practice, I don't see anything wrong with it.

Ideally any sane person would just use Mailchimp or similar to send mail to a list and Google Apps or similar for out/incoming mail, running a mail server is too much hassle IMHO...

• @ATHK said:
    Blocking port 25 is done by many providers/resellers it's becoming a common practice, I don't see anything wrong with it.
    Ideally any sane person would just use Mailchimp or similar to send mail to a list and Google Apps or similar for out/incoming mail, running a mail server is too much hassle IMHO...

Blocking is bad. What about a personal user like me ? I will obviously go with own mail server. And about that list-mailing mailchimp like service should be the option. But it is not acceptable blocking 25 for normal mailserver user.

• ATHKATHK Member

Then in this case become a trusted client ;)

• ATHK said: Blocking port 25 is done by many providers/resellers it's becoming a common practice

Who exactly is doing this?

• @Umcookies said:
    Not sure why you're getting so bent out of shape about the "customers like you" comment, I took it as other resellers using Vultr services. You know, customers who are also like you.
    Maybe I'm too fresh to the LET market but I don't think it was a personal attack at all, perhaps just a poor choice of words to convey what they truly meant.

Turns out I hadn't refreshed the page and was a little behind the times...

Not really, maybe youre right but to me it sounded like im being unreasonable for not saying the credit is good enough as it is not, also I dont appreciate how they posted 66% to make it look like it was a spammer account and also lets face it he said I had purposely created two accounts because I knew they would spam! I do not need credit for an account with a supplier that terminates accounts when they want to with no notice, plus jeez its spam and the first time it occured, yes it shouldnt be tolerated but closing an account 8 hours after I sorted it and they hadnt replied to my tickets i sent prior to termination either! no I run a proper company and this is not how you treat customers.

Its not like he hacked the fbi, what would have been good enough is not terminating the account or at the very least would have been at least giving me notice to backup, that left me completely locked out of the account, no support or way of opening a ticket via that account and also Vultr staff did not respond to me until I posted on their forum, all I received was an email saying were terminating your account.

• @DaveA said:
    I think this whole issue has gone to far and people aren't understanding our point of view.

A) We realize the policy may be too strict. We're going to change it completely.

B) We offered a 200.00 credit, we realize you're upset with us and probably won't use it, but it'll be there should you ever change your mind.

C) We're sorry this happened to you, and while we can't fix what's already transpired we will make changes to prevent this from happening again.

D) I never heard that our support staff was condescending before, and that will be addressed tomorrow as well.

Our goal is 100% satisfaction.

If you say so

edited August 2014

@ATHK said:

Well sorry to say but it didnt work in this case if my client managed to send spam, anyway, I believe Vultr deals with customers in a bad unethical manner and that's my final thoughts on the matter, I did not deal with this issue in a wrong way, I asked them, everything I did they agreed to, as for the client if anyone can, please do state how you would have stopped them with root access from sending spam? port 25 block was supposed to do that and I believed it would because I was told it would.

There is no way I will agree what they did was correct, I followed everything they asked, within minutes closed the offending VPS instances which were 2 by the same client. We will only be offering our own hosting services from now on. I will leave it at that and move on.

• @universal8 said:
    Its not like he hacked the fbi, what would have been good enough is not terminating the account or at the very least would have been at least giving me notice to backup, that left me completely locked out of the account, no support or way of opening a ticket via that account and also Vultr staff did not respond to me until I posted on their forum, all I received was an email saying were terminating your account.

I completely agree, shutting down your entire account, even after dealing with the abuse is wrong. I'm not defending Vultr at all for that action.

But Dave's made a promise to review their process and policies, said he will investigate the unsavory support you received, refunded your money and given you credit (I'll be happy to take the account with credit off of your hands if you're completely not interested in using Vultr again :P <3 ). I'm really not sure what more you expect Dave or Vultr to do in this situation. In my eye's they've realized the mistake and are trying their best to fix the situation.

• Why do you say "Make up your own mind"?
    What makes you think otherwise?

• Looking at conversation, Seems like the Host is at fault here and a refund wouldn't be of much help to the OP. Since the Data lost cant be refunded which is very critical. I really don't see this thread being of much help to OP since he has lost reputation of his brand due to some wrong decision taken by a HOST.

• wychwych Member

@cloudcandy said:
    Looking at conversation, Seems like the Host is at fault here and a refund wouldn't be of much help to the OP. Since the Data lost cant be refunded which is very critical. I really don't see this thread being of much help to OP since he has lost reputation of his brand due to some wrong decision taken by a HOST.

Or its OP's fault for not having backups to fall back on, y'know like everyone should.

Thanked by 1hostnoob