Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bad experience with ChicagoVPS - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Bad experience with ChicagoVPS

Comments

• @cvps_chris What about me? Nothing about my original post? Can I get a refund?
    I do understand that you cannot support 30K customers at the same time, that is why I think I should move to Amazon or Rackspace, where they are able to do so.

• @CVPS_Chris said:
    kovacsak, PM me with ticket ID

I have sent it to you, I have also wrote e-mails. You should reply now!

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@patdumais said:
    cvps_chris What about me? Nothing about my original post? Can I get a refund?
    I do understand that you cannot support 30K customers at the same time, that is why I think I should move to Amazon or Rackspace, where they are able to do so.

Why would you load the ppp module in openvz?

• @netomx

Did you read my first post? When I said: pardon my ignorance but when I modprobe ppp_generic I still get FATAL: Module ppp_generic not found. is that normal or am I missing something? I thought that enabling ppp would solve that

Basically what that means is that, I was trying to do what the pptpd logs were suggesting. But I wasn't sure that was the right thing to do. I thought that enabling ppp on openVZ would make ppp work without me having to load any modules. Because I did google this and I did read that I don't have to load the module. But what am I supposed to think when I got the support guy telling me that PPP should be working, pptpd tells me that it isn't and I should load the module and then everyone on google searches saying that when pptpd tells you that, it means you need to ask for ppp to be enabled on openVZ.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@patdumais said:
    netomx

Did you read my first post? When I said: pardon my ignorance but when I modprobe ppp_generic I still get FATAL: Module ppp_generic not found. is that normal or am I missing something? I thought that enabling ppp would solve that

Basically what that means is that, I was trying to do what the pptpd logs were suggesting. But I wasn't sure that was the right thing to do. I thought that enabling ppp on openVZ would make ppp work without me having to load any modules. Because I did google this and I did read that I don't have to load the module. But what am I supposed to think when I got the support guy telling me that PPP should be working, pptpd tells me that it isn't and I should load the module and then everyone on google searches saying that when pptpd tells you that, it means you need to ask for ppp to be enabled on openVZ.

That's enabled by the host node

• Yep, just as I said:
    ... everyone on google searches saying that when pptpd tells you that, it means you need to ask for ppp to be enabled on openVZ ...

And that would be consistant with me requesting for support. That's why I asked them "Hi I need to enable PPP on my VM"

• Much like their ticket response times, still no response from @CVPS_Chris.

• looks like @cvps_chris has disappeared once again from the thread, As pointed by OP the Support team has constantly not worked on the Issue before clearing the ticket which is waste of time for the OP.

• @patdumais said:
    Yep, just as I said:
    ... everyone on google searches saying that when pptpd tells you that, it means you need to ask for ppp to be enabled on openVZ ...

And that would be consistant with me requesting for support. That's why I asked them "Hi I need to enable PPP on my VM"

What's the output op cat /dev/ppp

• MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran

Yikes. Despite the fact that ChicagoVPS is unable to provide proper support right now, and despite the fact that Fabozzi himself even admitted that support is horrid right now... what better time for a new CVPS offer? http://lowendbox.com/blog/chicagovps-12year-128mb-7month-2gb-and-more-ssd-ovz-in-san-jose/

• Their VPS looks good but can do nothing,such download a file,install lamp or other simple dos,it offline

• @MannDude said:
    Yikes. Despite the fact that ChicagoVPS is unable to provide proper support right now, and despite the fact that Fabozzi himself even admitted that support is horrid right now... what better time for a new CVPS offer? http://lowendbox.com/blog/chicagovps-12year-128mb-7month-2gb-and-more-ssd-ovz-in-san-jose/

I had one of the ElectricByte servers in San Jose that they bought. It went offline yesterday morning, this morning ChicagoVPS has a San Jose VPS offer. I signed up and my IP is my old IP address - 1. Too bad it isn't working yet. My LA server has been fine, and support was good too the first time around. It's a holiday weekend, so I'm not going to start panicking yet.

• MorningIrisMorningIris Member
    edited August 2014

frankb said: my IP is my old IP address

Funniest story I've ever heard, did you tell them? What did they say?

• @kovacsak said:

What system is that you're using?

• @mpkossen said:

Nodequery I think

• I know this has been brought up before but it can't be said enough.

Here's my story...... One of 100's i'm sure

Thursday, July 10th, 2014 --- I notice my VPS is down
    Friday, July 11th, 2014 --- I'm informed all my data is gone.

I scramble though backups, and get all my data back, on other VPS providers, and do not touch my blank ChicagoVPS for a bit.

Thursday, July 31st, 2014 --- Ubuntu 14.04 is a template on the website. I go to install it and it does not work.

Sunday, August 3rd, 2014 --- There's alot of back and forth between myself and support between here and they decide they need to move me to a different node with a different IP, which is fine by me, so they do this and tell me my VPS is ready. I log in and it's Ubuntu 12.04. Looking back at my experience I should have just kept this :( They say ok and will reinstall 14.04. Later that day they say there is a problem and it'll take 24 - 48 hours to do this.

Thursday, August 7th, 2014 --- They write back "Well, ubuntu 14.04 template is not available right now. For the time being, please use ubuntu 12." Sure enough the template is gone off their website. I guess that's one way to fix the problem. No longer support the OS. I ask for a cancellation and they ask if they can move me to a node with ubuntu 14.04 is available. I say to them because I have no data and don't care about IP that is fine. They then say "There is no free kvm node available in our datacenter. We will create it in next 2 days." I get mad and ask for a refund, which they will not give me.

Friday, August 15th, 2014 --- I attempt to get a VPS again since they will not give me my money back. I settle for Ubuntu 12.04, they install CentOS. I go to reinstall Ubuntu 12.04, and of course it does not work. I open ticket and get the response "We have installed ubuntu 13+ as there was problem with ubuntu 12 template. "

Saturday, August 16th -- I explain that I run software that only works on LTR Ubuntu releases of with 13.04 is not, and magically the template issue is fixed. Holy crap, I actually have a Ubuntu 12.04 server I can Login to. They even extend my service 2 months for free for all the trouble. So i'm now actually feeling better about this company. But that feeling was short lived.

Wednesday, August 20th, 2014 --- Although, oddly during the install of software the VPS crashed 2x, I didn't think much of it. But Tuesday & Wednesday the vps crashed every 4 hours or so. I'd have to log into the client area and click boot. I opened a ticket then got a response 5 hours later "Please check now . your server is online ." I dropped the matter, mostly because althought I did the software install I had no "production" data on it. over the next few days the VPS still kept crashing.

Sunday, August 24th --- I opened another ticket because the VPS keeps dropping.

Monday, August 25th --- Support finally get's back to me with this response "If you want we can setup new server for you on new node. Please advise"

Tuesday, August 26th, 2014 -- I say ok then they reinstall my server on a new node. Of course as before It was CentOS instead of Ubuntu. They reinstall ubuntu and of course same problems, but this time it's very easy to recreate. Just do an apt-get dist-upgrade on the VPS and it'll crash the during the install

Wednesday, August 27th, 2014 --- Support asks "Do you have anything installed on this KVM? I could create you a new one on our newest node to prevent any problems." It's the same tech, so you would think he would know I have nothing on it, but I say Ok.

Thursday, August 28th --- He moves my server to the new node. Guess what? He installs CentOS instead of Ubuntu. I got angry at this point and among other things asked him to reinstall Ubuntu 12.04, which isn't really what I want, but the best they can do.

Friday, August 29th --- Still no reinstall I ask why? Get response "We do apologies currently our main node is under maintenance and due to that server is down. It will be fixed in next 8-12 hours."

Saturday, August 30th, 2014 (Today) --- Get Response "We are sorry for inconvenience caused to you, Your server is working fine, Please check with your new password: 20PKJQVL"
    I log into the server, run command. Guess what It Crashes.

With every response I send them, I beg for a refund. I just want to be done with them. My VPS is only cost $20 for the year. It's crazy they haven't just refunded me the money. It's cost them at least that much in man hours. From what I've read this story is not out of the norm with this company. Check out these links for more complaints including ones from the BBB.

http://lowendbox.com/blog/chicagovps-7month-2gb-openvz-ssd-vps-and-more-dedi-included-in-six-us-locations/#comment-193601

http://lowendbox.com/blog/chicagovps-12year-128mb-7month-2gb-and-more-ssd-ovz-in-san-jose/

http://www.bbb.org/upstate-new-york/business-reviews/internet-web-hosting/chicagovps-in-clarence-ctr-ny-235967102/

• And... another ChicagoVPS thread.

Thanked by 1tux
  • how many times we going to see these?

• steveosteveo Member
    edited August 2014

Hopefully until they either fix service or go out of business. Either way works for me! MSPNick...If you were basicly scammed by a company, that refuses to give you your money back, or fix their serivce would you be mad? would you want to prevent others from getting trapped by the same scam?

Thanked by 1MannDude
  • This host seems to hand out black eyes(never resolve issues, inform customers of issues etc) and the owner seems to not give 2 cares.

Just stay away people, the good deals aint so good here.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited August 2014

@steveo where have you been all the time until this day? Registering new account just to open another yada-yada thread about same company we all know and read about it all the time here doesn't contribute to anything.

steveo said: would you want to prevent others from getting trapped by the same scam?

Well, you weren't able to avoid that disregarding hundreds other threads about this company so no.. thanks for your contribution.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • Spirit you're an admin on this board? If this service has been known as bad for a month or so why are they the first provider right now on lowendbox.com you sister site? Why are they still allowed to post deals? I was an existing ChicagoVPS customer for 1 year. I did not know about this site today when I googled ChicagoVPS sucks, seriously google it. It was days after I signed up for another year that the service got bad. Until then it was great. I think everyone who has had trouble with ChicagoVPS should post on this board until something is done. Also, it appears the company will just plain ignore you utill you make enough noise. This is my noise.

• MunMun Member
    edited August 2014

@stevo, at minimum the reason why CVPS can still post here is this:

CVPS buys services from ColoCrossing (namely colocation/dedicated servers to run there VPS business).

Colocrossing owns a few sites two named (Lowendtalk.com and Lowendbox.com)

It has been rumored that Colocrossing actually has a hand inside the company of CVPS, once again, rumors.

Colocrossing, tells the admins on this board to keep "kind" to CVPS and other similar companies.

Threads like this get sunk, and hidden in the LET backend so that CVPS still has a somewhat good rep and thus continue to sell there product.

Long story short, move on, I had similar issues back in 2012 and as you can see for your own eyes, they haven't fixed it yet.

• gayzor

• MSPNickMSPNick Member
    edited August 2014

@steveo said:
    Hopefully until they either fix service or go out of business. Either way works for me! MSPNick...If you were basicly scammed by a company, that refuses to give you your money back, or fix their serivce would you be mad? would you want to prevent others from getting trapped by the same scam?

I know how you feel don't get me wrong. But it cost you $20/yr. you need to move on.

They should be providing a better service but I agree. It'll get sunk and no one will ever see it

They offer no value what so ever and I agree.

For a business this big to offer nothing for customers ten headache is worrying.

• they cancelled a VPS of mine due to "DoS" attacks

this is a fresh box install (had all security updates done) & I havent touched the box for about maybe 1 month ... yet it magically did a DoS attack

FYI they will lie to cancel year subscribers.

@Steveo and @doughnet, please post proof if you can. Screen shot of your tickets will suffice. That way we can undeniably know you had service with them.

Thanked by 1mpkossen
  • @MannDude said:
    Steveo and doughnet, please post proof if you can. Screen shot of your tickets will suffice. That way we can undeniably know you had service with them.

The funny thing ... when I asked them for actual proof in my scenario with them ... they told me pretty much:

Hello,

It was down due to:
    Possible DoS VPS 9069 (198.23.251.8): 164299 pps during 15 second interval

James Burkowitz
    Support Guru

which is considered proof ... so I assume in this industry ... this is proof enough.

and also ... when asked for actual proof other than just a copy/paste (which they editted manually to fraud to shut down my service) this is the response:

Hello,

I have provided logs in last reply.

James Burkowitz
    Support Guru

"James" appears to be their only rep, at least from the slew of these threads in which support was mentioned. He's out sourced and under equipped. Supposedly their 'good techs left' (Adam, got a real job at Quadranet, congrats BTW) and Chris will be suposedly hiring new, non-outsourced techs in the coming weeks. Time will tell.

I can't believe I am saying this, but if you want the actual same quality of VPS hosting you have already received (so so) but want better support at a similar price point... GVH seems to fit the bill.

Otherwise, you've got a dozen or more actual solid brands in similar price points that are highly reviewed. They may not promise you the world, but they deliver what they advertise and have actual decent support and services. (RamNode, BuyVM, SecureDragon, AnyNode, Hostigation, DigitalOcean, etc, etc, etc, etc)

This discussion has been closed.