Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

1,99€ dedicated server ? - Page 72
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

1,99€ dedicated server ?

Comments

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@rauppe31 said:
    I mean you must pay a 9.99 EUR setup fee for a KS-1 from OVH.

And I mean is just 1 time

• @netomx said:

That's what a setup fee is.... one time

• rauppe31rauppe31 Member, Host Rep

@camjac251 said:
    Yeah but with online.net, it's 20 EUR....

The 5.99 EUR server has a 20 EUR setup fee. But the Kidechire hasn't.

@netomx said:

Right :-)

• @rauppe31 said:
    The 5.99 EUR server has a 20 EUR setup fee. But the Kidechire hasn't.

The Kidechire was a black friday deal, one time only. Limited stock.

edited January 2015

@camjac251 said:

But there could be a comeback :-) It was already available two times.

• @rauppe31 said:
    But there could be a comeback :-) It was already available two times.

Well I have 2 that I don't use if anyone is interested.

• @camjac251 said:

Except it wasn't, that's the second time it's been available.

• camjac251camjac251 Member
    edited January 2015

@Nekki said:
    Except it wasn't, that's the second time it's been available.

And the first being back in August of 2014, RARE is what I'm saying.
    They sell out quick and won't be coming back for a long while. And black friday is a special occasion as well.

• camjac251 said: And the first being back in August of 2014, RARE is what I'm saying.

Yes, 'rare' is very different to 'one time only'. Words are important.

camjac251 said: They sell out quick and won't be coming back for a long while.

They do sell out quick, but you, much like everyone else, have no idea when their coming back. Could be next week, could be next year, could be never.

Thanked by 2netomx geekalot
  • @Nekki said:
    They do sell out quick, but you, much like everyone else, have no idea when their coming back. Could be next week, could be next year, could be never.

You're too optimistic. Like you said, could be never....

• camjac251 said: You're too optimistic. Like you said, could be never....

No, I'm not being optimistic, those weren't predictions.

Thanked by 24n0nx netomx
  • everyone has enterprise drives?
    one of my servers has the ST9160412ASG disk :(

• anyone sucess install win server 2008?
    get my hdd failed earlier today and get replaced with 160gb not 500gb

• @robohost said:
    anyone sucess install win server 2008?
    get my hdd failed earlier today and get replaced with 160gb not 500gb

I can install 2012 fine

• sepeisepei Member
    edited January 2015

@TinyTunnel_Tom said:
    I can install 2012 fine

Me too. But keep in mind the cpu is not very fast.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@eduf he told us, all the server have enterprise disk. Because we mentioned the age before 3-4 Years which is quite old.

• @sepei said:

My laptops broke so i use it as a PC RDP from a raspberry PI

• @TinyTunnel_Tom said:
    My laptops broke so i use it as a PC RDP from a raspberry PI

Well thats bad. Thats why I got 3 PCs and 4 laptops lol. 2 years ago I also got just one pc and a laptop for school. It broke down and had not really a backup device. Since this I need enough backup devices :P. Even got a bunch of odroids but I dont like linux as desktop OS

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited January 2015

eduf said: everyone has enterprise drives? one of my servers has the ST9160412ASG disk :(

Yeah how dare they give you a non-enterprise drive for your 1.99 EUR, such ripoff.

It's a mix of Hitachi and these Seagates on mine, and Seagates perhaps prevail. And I couldn't care less if they're do have a meaningless "Enterprise" sticker, or not. Looked through the datasheet for the drive just now, it doesn't have any limitation that the drive must not be used 24x7 or anything of the sort. So it's a perfectly normal suitable drive for a personal server use.

Thanked by 2hostnoob netomx
  • You've got 100GB of free FTP backup space with each 1.99EUR server.. use it.

I know these drives are going to fail, sooner than later, so I take precautions to backup anything I would consider important.

This would still be an amazing deal with 80GB IDE drives :P I've gotten a lot of use out of a $2.50/mo box, and no downtime yet: http://i.mk6.net/150103-1423-bv0x3.png

• LeeLee Veteran

mikeyur said: You've got 100GB of free FTP backup space with each 1.99EUR server.. use it.

^^ this, I suspect the FTP backup is very under used.

mikeyur said: I know these drives are going to fail, sooner than later

Could happen to any drive regardless of make, model or age, so always backup anyway.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @W1V_Lee I've had the FTP backup space mounted via curlftpfs for 130+ days now without a blip. Really easy to setup rsync and push your important data over every hour.

Most of my drives are in the 34k power on hours range and still performing fine with zero errors or reallocated sectors. Could last another 4 years, days, months or minutes.. So I agree, always back up :P

Drive swaps are quick, internal transfers are gigabit from FTP. You can be back online fast with a new drive.

Thanked by 1Lee

Hmm, I cant view them.

It's not just you! http://img.kcaj.me looks down from here.

• rauppe31 said: Hmm, I cant view them.

Apologies, I underestimated the resources that script would need to run. They're working again now.

• LeeLee Veteran

mikeyur said: Drive swaps are quick, internal transfers are gigabit from FTP. You can be back online fast with a new drive.

^^ This. I always keep a backup elsewhere anywhere but you're right the internal transfers are so fast it makes no sense not to use it.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @W1V_Lee said: ^^ This. I always keep a backup elsewhere anywhere but you're right the internal transfers are so fast it makes no sense not to use it.

The FTP backup space is accessible externally as well - so you could pull from that to another backup spot. I've got backups on backups on backups (yo dawg).

• LeeLee Veteran

Indeed, that is what I am doing, I set the rsync to run each night then at regular intervals transfer the FTP contents to Hetzner in Germany. Works well.

• anyone know the ftp backup download network speed from outside online.net?

@aFriend said:
    anyone know the ftp backup download network speed from outside online.net?

I've got 20Mbyte per second.

Thanked by 1aFriend