Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hosted services & niche markets, what would you like to see? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hosted services & niche markets, what would you like to see?

13»

Comments

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@Baris said:
    OSX remote desktop within LEB price range with xcode support.

I've read somewhere that it needs to be virtualised on MAC OS aswell, wouldn't (license wise) work on kvm or vmware.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

@MikHo said:
    I've read somewhere that it needs to be virtualised on MAC OS aswell, wouldn't (license wise) work on kvm or vmware.

Yep that is my understanding too.

I suppose http://www.puredarwin.org/ is an option :)

• BarisBaris Member
    edited August 2014

@MikHo said:

Yeah, that's right. You are only allowed to run 2 VM on a (Mac) machine. I still can't understand how the terminal servers solutions work so basically it should be possible to offer RDP for multiple user without virtualisation (like iRAPP, Aquaconnect etc.)?

Sorry for the offtopic by the way, feel free to pm me if anybody knows how you can setup multiple rdp user without virtualisation.

@Baris I assume you could probably just compile freeNX for mac and use that.

Thanked by 1Baris

@Baris said:
    Sorry for the offtopic by the way, feel free to pm me if anybody knows how you can setup multiple rdp user without virtualisation.

If you are talking about the Windows way then it is one server with one or more simultaneous users on that one server.

I wonder if you need the cals if you are not using a windows rdp client/server to connect...

• @MikHo said:
    If you are talking about the Windows way then it is one server with one or more simultaneous users on that one server.

Sorry I was unclear. I meant the Mac way.

@AntonySmith
    Will try that out :-)

• cheaper stress testing for websites, This way we know the limits of your LEB's :)

• @JustJon said:
    cheaper stress testing for websites, This way we know the limits of your LEB's :)

hackforums.net

Thanked by 1JustJon

@AnthonySmith said:
    I wonder if you need the cals if you are not using a windows rdp client/server to connect...

You do need it since it is not where you connect from, its what you connect to.
    Example: if a mac user uses a fileshare on a windows server in a domain network, you need a win CAL.
    AND it has to be for the correct server version. Say that you upgrade your 2008R2 to 2012R2, new CALs all over ......

• @Mark_R I mean no offense if your affiliated with that site, however going from the URL I think it would put people off using those services.

• @AnthonySmith

@Baris said:
    OSX remote desktop within LEB price range with xcode support.

These guys have it: http://virtualmacosx.com/index.php/xcode-plans

dont ask me how they do that thou, maybe just use real macs..

• @Radical_Edward said:
    Have you looked at Dream Host ? They provide a shared or virtualized SQL service either as standard (shared) with their web-hosting and also VPS packages or as a premium for their private MySQL instances, but as far as the way they configure it I believe it fits your requirements closely.

I know that DH offers the service like that, what is missing is something more focused on the nontechie user like Pagely and wpengine, a shared host like that would offer a lot more resources, easy to use webpanel for administration and a page similar to the templates of digitalocean, were you select a cms, forum or estore web application (wordpress, drupal, phpbb, mybb, magento, prestashop, etc...).

In DH the user still needs to setup the VPS, mediatemple the resources are limited for some kind of sites, pagely and wpengine they focus only on wordpress.

@Tripleflix best guess based on the site is that they are just buying licenses and using compatible hardware, the max VPS plans start at $35 p/month, I guess they are using some sort of RDP equivalent for the hosted desktops.

If you specialize in Max based stuff this would not be hard to do, pretty risky in terms of outlay for a preferential service though.

• @JustJon said:
    Mark_R I mean no offense if your affiliated with that site, however going from the URL I think it would put people off using those services.

if you need budget stress testing then that place is perfect for you.

• @AnthonySmith said:
    Tripleflix best guess based on the site is that they are just buying licenses and using compatible hardware, the max VPS plans start at $35 p/month, I guess they are using some sort of RDP equivalent for the hosted desktops.

If you specialize in Max based stuff this would not be hard to do, pretty risky in terms of outlay for a preferential service though.

This would be illegal business practice. You are only allowed to install OSX to Apple hardware.

• @AnthonySmith said:
    Hosted powerful compilation environments for dev's

This sounds interesting. An environment with icecc/distcc would be very handy for compiling large codebases.

At work we have some basic setup with icecc and a few machines and it helps us compile in about 5-7 min something that would otherwise take 1-2 hours in average.

• PepoPepo Member

Hosted SIP PBX

• @Mark_R said:
    hackforums.net

lowendtalk.com

lowendbox.com

Just post a comment and have a link in your sig to ANYTHING, you will get tons of free "stress testing" in short order. I am sure some providers can confirm this.

It is useful to see/learn what threat vectors people try though.

@qrwteyrutiyoup said:
    At work we have some basic setup with icecc and a few machines and it helps us compile in about 5-7 min something that would otherwise take 1-2 hours in average.

what sort of hardware out of interest?

• cheap backup rsync + shell e.g 10GB $3/year

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

@hashwaltz said:
    cheap backup rsync + shell e.g 10GB $3/year

What do you mean by shell?

• hashwaltzhashwaltz Member
    edited August 2014

@trewq said:

linux shell/bash without root access

• @Mark_R said:
    I'd like to see servers that come pre-installed with all software a person could possibly need (private usage.) this will save alot people time installing and configuring software themselves. Some of the software I'd like to see by default with such server:

1. Owncloud

2. Webmail + pop3 etc

3. Seedbox (Deluge with remote Daemon and web-UI enabled)

4. VPN (PPTP + OpenVPN) & Proxy

5. SFTP & FTP

6. Some other things people could be using everyday.

It would be nice if I could rent a server that has all this installed by default, like a all-in-one package, I'd be willing to pay 50 euros/m for this if the uptime and storage is good.

You might want to check out:
    https://github.com/al3x/sovereign

Some setup is still involved but hey, step by step instructions are provided :)

• LordSpockLordSpock Member, Host Rep

+1 for Hosted Exchange

• fileMEDIAfileMEDIA Member
    edited August 2014

Next big thing should be Docker instances included a web interface which you can configure the complete software on your docker instance:

Choose nginx, mysql and php with different versions, choose location and click deploy. Next instance should be have tomcat or other applications. Other instance should have other software and special configuration you have uploaded. All can be configured on the web interface and docker system creates the instance with software and configuration you want. You can also define different network levels like Web, App and DB..different load balancer co..

Currently some vendors are on that market but a complete solution is still missing.

Thanked by 1Abdussamad
  • LordSpock said: +1 for Hosted Exchange

That would be cool. Nothing is quite as featureful as Exchange.

Exchange is really meant for hundreds of individuals on a dedicated machine so its not cost effective for individuals.

Thanked by 1AnthonySmith
  • @AnthonySmith

Any plans for a ATL/NY location?

@Sweet said:
    AnthonySmith

Any plans for a ATL/NY location?

Not any immediate plans.