Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hosted services & niche markets, what would you like to see?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hosted services & niche markets, what would you like to see?

AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Hi Folks,

Just a quick community question, not loaded just curious and considering yet another project :)

What sort of hosted service outside the regular suff i.e. shared hosting, dedi, VPS would you like to see?

Recently I looked in to hosted iSCSI for personal use the prices were insane, not suggesting that it was just one that crossed my mind.

So just wondering if there is anything you wished was hosted but you have not found or anything cost prohibitive that you would like to see offered cheaper?

Also random stuff is good to get the old brain working, or even variations on current offerings.

Examples:

Retro Game Hosting

Hosted NFS storage

Hosted clean gateways using pfsense (when latency is not important).

Hosted emulation (e.g. done through RDP Remote apps)

Hosted powerful compilation environments for dev's

Just a quick list off the top of my head, just wondering if anyone has ever been in the position of "damn I need to setup and configure and manage a VPS/Dedi when all I really need is XYZ.... why is no on e offering this?"

Not a thread to be taking overly seriously any and all suggestions welcome, I might pick one of them up as a project.

Ant.

Comments

• AlexanderMAlexanderM Member, Top Host, Host Rep

Hosted cloud exchange is a big market IMO which is not fully utilised

• I really would like to see object oriented storage, something similar to http://www.dreamhost.com/cloud/storage/

I'm also looking for email hosting, just a few domains and a few accounts that's not used that much, but I think I'll end up with Google Apps.

• Off loaded Database servers (MySQL, Mongo, etc.) with multiple location would be cool (distributed would be a plus)! Amazon's lowest plan is $12 a month.

• othelloRobothelloRob Member, Host Rep

@black
    I'm also looking for email hosting

Email hosting has been around since about 1992 :D

• blackblack Member
    edited August 2014

@cassa said:
    black something like http://mxroute.com? Jar

Something exactly like it. But a buyVM $5/year plan sort of works as well, and I'm pretty sure if you go with the reseller package for $2/month, it'll definitely work. So paying $24/yr for reseller package is better than just paying for email, imo.

othelloRob said: Email hosting has been around since about 1992 :D

Indeed very true, but I'm looking for something in the extreme LowEnd range :)

• Hosted jingling!

• A niche market that I been thinking about is shared hosting but based on personal containers (LXC), a shared mysql for all customers and each customers gets its own container for apache, nginx or openlitespeed web server.

• @Silvenga said:
    Off loaded Database servers (MySQL, Mongo, etc.) with multiple location would be cool (distributed would be a plus)! Amazon's lowest plan is $12 a month.

This, right here! Some sort of offloaded MySQL/MariaDB service. If it could be done with geolcoation, my god.... Just... Take my money... Take it.

• jcalebjcaleb Member
    edited August 2014

Affordable DNS service

Edit: Something with very simple billing. And very affordable of course. And make the service awesome

• +1

skybucks100 said: @Silvenga said: Off loaded Database servers (MySQL, Mongo, etc.) with multiple location would be cool (distributed would be a plus)! Amazon's lowest plan is $12 a month.

+2 DNS,rDNS

jcaleb said: Affordable DNS service

• Hosted Ghost blogging instance. The official ghost pro is quite costly.

Thanked by 1orak
  • GoodHostingGoodHosting Member
    edited August 2014

@linuxthefish said:
    Hosted jingling!

We do something similar to this already.

• VPN service with the normal trouble making things blocked, such as torrents. It would be great to have a few reliable locations that I can use when I visit conspiracy sites.

I am currently paying for two VPN providers and the servers are constantly going down due to abuse from other customers.

I'm not sure if a VPN with blocked features would attract many customers though.

• @jcaleb @ZEROF Rage4 already does very reasonably priced DNS already

• lots of LEB's (<128MB, <5GB disk, <=100Mbps) , lots of locations, lots of providers, great uptime.

timesharing of hardware, i.e. ASICs and GPUs

Thanked by 2orak Droid
  • thekreek said: A niche market that I been thinking about is shared hosting but based on personal containers (LXC), a shared mysql for all customers and each customers gets its own container for apache, nginx or openlitespeed web server.

This, though it would probably be an incredibly niche offering.

Something that gets shared hosting done while satisfying your tweaking side.

Thanked by 1orak
  • @thekreek said:
    A niche market that I been thinking about is shared hosting but based on personal containers (LXC), a shared mysql for all customers and each customers gets its own container for apache, nginx or openlitespeed web server.

Have you looked at Dream Host ? They provide a shared or virtualized SQL service either as standard (shared) with their web-hosting and also VPS packages or as a premium for their private MySQL instances, but as far as the way they configure it I believe it fits your requirements closely.

• bohdans said: @jcaleb @ZEROF Rage4 already does very reasonably priced DNS already

i like alternative

• That was my point as well.

+1

jcaleb said: i like alternative

• tzartzar Member
    • Hosted/managed Riak with elastic storage/pricing/etc
    • Cheap/easy drop in service to back up & restore VPSes intelligently (e.g databases, home dirs)
    • Intercom/slack clones which maintain functionality but don't charge way too much. Even better if slack data is importable
  • Cheap DDoS protection as a service (GRE?) would also be nice.

• +1 Off loaded Database

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

backup services, where you rent space and install a small agent on the server for backups. example on software are R1Soft and Ahsay.

RDP based on Terminal Server, you only rent a desktop, no admin access. software pre-installed or use Portableapps installation. (Would require MS SPLA licenses).

Thanked by 1bersy
  • Simple billing anycast DNS/geodns

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

MikHo said: RDP based on Terminal Server, you only rent a desktop,

Any idea what the actual license is for that, I assume these days it is an RDS CAL?

• @AnthonySmith said:
    Any idea what the actual license is for that, I assume these days it is an RDS CAL?

You can still get CALs and do it that way, Per User or Per Device.

• cheap storage of some kind, something that can be attached to any vps as with nfs, iSCSI, or thelikes.. and im talking about safe storage, so redundant or backed up etc...

• Tripleflix said: cheap storage of some kind, something that can be attached to any vps as with nfs, iSCSI, or thelikes.. and im talking about safe storage, so redundant or backed up etc...

For "safe" storage, I don't think anyone can match the prices of Amazon - or no one has the capital to have three data center redundancy and own their own hardware.

• Mark_RMark_R Member
    edited August 2014

I'd like to see servers that come pre-installed with all software a person could possibly need (private usage.) this will save alot people time installing and configuring software themselves. Some of the software I'd like to see by default with such server:

1. Owncloud

2. Webmail + pop3 etc

3. Seedbox (Deluge with remote Daemon and web-UI enabled)

4. VPN (PPTP + OpenVPN) & Proxy

5. SFTP & FTP

6. Some other things people could be using everyday.

It would be nice if I could rent a server that has all this installed by default, like a all-in-one package, I'd be willing to pay 50 euros/m for this if the uptime and storage is good.