Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Contabo KVM SSD VPS's now without setup fee! - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Contabo KVM SSD VPS's now without setup fee!

Comments

• K2Bytes said: They use i7 9xx & most commonly i7 920.

Those i7 9XX are just KVM flags.

the Nehalem option in setup.

• @K2Bytes said:
    They use i7 9xx & most commonly i7 920.

I think this VPS only good for Hosting , or little things. Not for gameservers , or video things.

Thtats i think. Now i test the cpu about abuse. 100% 2 cores. We shall see they ask or suspend or anything. Or dedicated and i could use it. :D

• I would rather shoot myself in the knee and clean the wound with vinegar and dirt before ordering anything from the former giga-international people (they just changed names because the old one was covered with dirt), but however - all the best for you and your new VPS.

Thanked by 1tr1cky
  • @ZweiTiger can you post output of

cat /proc/cpuinfo

• chauffer said: cat /proc/cpuinfo

This willl prove nothing. all their vps use custom KVM tags

• @Amitz said:
    I would rather shoot myself in the knee and clean the wound with vinegar and dirt before ordering anything from the former giga-international people (they just changed names because the old one was covered with dirt), but however - all the best for you and your new VPS.

I saw the VPS benhcmarks a year ago and shit... But.. We know the time go.. and we shall see :) I will test this.. 8 eur.. not a big thing.

• Shoaib_AShoaib_A Member
    edited August 2014

@Amitz said:
    I would rather shoot myself in the knee and clean the wound with vinegar and dirt before ordering anything from the former giga-international people (they just changed names because the old one was covered with dirt), but however - all the best for you and your new VPS.

Do you have any horror story of your own to share or you just heard bad things about Giga-International? Because I also had a VPS with them 2 years ago & what I got was 100% uptime with decent network performance but CPU was over-committed to huge proportions.

• Even if the quality of the service might have changed - the people behind are still the same. I know some of them from the past. Did I mention the dirt & vinegar allegory already? ;-)

• @K2Bytes

i think most people had a problem with there policies rather than network or actual performance. those include previously charging 30 Euro for OS reinstall. on VPS and dedi.

• @ZweiTiger said:
    Thtats i think. Now i test the cpu about abuse. 100% 2 cores. We shall see they ask or suspend or anything. Or dedicated and i could use it. :D

Yes last time I had their VPS XL for 30 Euros with following specs:

6 CPU Cores, 3.2 GHz

16 GB of RAM (guaranteed!)

800 GB of Hard Disk space

100 Mbps unmetered Bandwidth

1 IP address

And it had failed to run a single call of duty server smoothly. And OVH Cloud VPS 1 which costs 10 Euros is running 3 such servers smoothly with no crashes or lags due to CPU.

• @Amitz said:
    Even if the quality of the service might have changed - the people behind are still the same. I know some of them from the past. Did I mention the dirt & vinegar allegory already? ;-)

For me they are so kind with me... but we shall see. I tried many german provider.

@K2Bytes said:
    And it had failed to run a single call of duty server smoothly. And OVH Cloud VPS 1 which costs 10 Euros is running 3 such servers smoothly with no crashes or lags due to CPU.

I think at a VPS.. a gameserver not could run smoothly. Think about it. YOu got a server with X users. One is use 100% cpu core. One no use it at all. And if the node reach sometimes 99% cpu usage then its low to 50% , your game server will lagg. Simple.

This VPS's maybe good for web hosting? Maybe.. thats what i could see. But i use colorhost.de for bussiness webhostings at my company.

• ZweiTiger said: I think at a VPS.. a gameserver not could run smoothly. Think about it.

Works fine at OVH & Swiftway among others. most GSP probably use virtualization anyway.

• @ZweiTiger said:
    I think at a VPS.. a gameserver not could run smoothly. Think about it. YOu got a server with X users. One is use 100% cpu core. One no use it at all. And if the node reach sometimes 99% cpu usage then its low to 50% , your game server will lagg. Simple.

We currently have around 250-270 game servers running for our gaming community, mostly on OVH(not SYS or KS) dedicated servers virtualized with KVM + SolusVM & they all work very smoothly. Call of duty servers mostly eat 500 MB RAM & bit of disk I/O, CPU usage is very low. Last month, I ran 2 call of duty 4 servers on OVH Classic VPS 1 for testing & there was no problem at all.

So yes Contabo seems to be an exception here that their nodes are so overloaded CPU wise that you can only run a few websites on them, not heavy usage like game servers.

• i'm ready but last night 1 vps, but this morning, my vps down... i don't know why, i don't have warn on my email or something...
    what there is in the same boat??

• haseltinehaseltine Member
    edited August 2014

I digged and read too much bad reviews about contabo. 2 years back there's a thread about contabo in LET. And basically everyone gives bad reviews about contabo in WHT.

Their replies in the mail seems friendly though.

Everyone should post their experience with them here... Or run a poll perhaps.

• Too bad cannot bring my own windows license

• TarZZ92TarZZ92 Member
    edited August 2014

c1bl said: Too bad cannot bring my own windows license

You can, just install windows yourself. i have and it works perfectly. are resident Dutch friend has a guide on his website. @Joodle

• Result for Geekbench if anyone is interested. http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/712581

• That doesn't look too bad....

• We shall see guys....

Seems the service is okay. We shall see after 1-2 month.

Everybody could be better and better within the years...

@TarZZ92 said:
    Result for Geekbench if anyone is interested. http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/712581

What is your uptime?

• ZweiTiger said: What is your uptime?

37 minutes. lol i just installed windows on it

• install windows on contabo works?

• sepei said: install windows on contabo works?

yes

• how is the speed and is the windows "felling" smothly?

• sepei said: how is the speed and is the windows "felling" smothly?

yes its fine

• ehabehab Member

@TarZZ92 said:

how is it possible? did you upload windows.iso? what are your steps to mount it?

• i think he did it this way: https://joodle.nl/kimsufi/install.html

• TarZZ92TarZZ92 Member
    edited August 2014

sepei said: i think he did it this way: https://joodle.nl/kimsufi/install.html

Nope. i used my own method. but his method may work (But no network).
    he needs to add extra drivers

• ZweiTiger said: I used virtuozzo at serverloft.de and server4you and total crash. But the KVM... grants guaranteed resources. About memory-disk

KVM guarantees you exactly nothing when the host knows what it does.

• Shoaib_AShoaib_A Member
    edited August 2014

@ZweiTiger said:
    I used virtuozzo at serverloft.de and server4you and total crash. But the KVM... grants guaranteed resources. About memory-disk

Ever heard of thin provisioning, ballooning & compression?