Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fortacloud - 2 gig ram free vps! (Discovered to be a scam) - Page 9
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Fortacloud - 2 gig ram free vps! (Discovered to be a scam)

Comments

• @odiaz

WHAT IS VOLUME? AND WHY ARE PEOPLE BILLED FOR IT?

Jesus Christ, just answer the damn questions. It has been asked already for at least 10 times.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • Darwin said: Because you can read some posts, but fail to address jar concerns. You must seek treatment.

In as much as his politeness in replying to the forum, I can't help but sense a strong GVH writing style.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • socials said: WHAT IS VOLUME? AND WHY ARE PEOPLE BILLED FOR IT?

This is disk space, they using standard cloudstack module from hostbill for metered billing.

Thanked by 1Dylan
  • Yes, Volume = Storage.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

odiaz said: Yes, Volume = Storage.

So,the VPS is free, EXCEPT for the storage?

• No, it is free up to the resource allotments, which includes storage. Any overages are invoiced once a month.

Best bet that if you need more resources then are supplied at no charge, to just subscribe for what you need.

• odiaz said: No, it is free up to the resource allotments, which includes storage. Any overages are invoiced once a month.

Best bet that if you need more resources then are supplied at no charge, to just subscribe for what you need.

Would you care to explain this?

Jar said: Which one did I exceed? There's a line for bandwidth. It has $0.00 on it. Did I exceed 72 hours of RAM? Feel free to explain :)

• Did anyone else notice the prices AFTER the free year ?
    seems pretty high to me

• dammugly said: Did anyone else notice the prices AFTER the free year ? seems pretty high to me

thats how their business works. bait and switch/

• Hi Dammugly-

Where do you see on our site the price changing after one year? If you find this, it is an error and needs to be corrected.

Thanks!

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited December 2014

@odiaz said:
    Yes, Volume = Storage.

Right, and would you care to tell me how I exceeded the partition's storage for 72 hours on a KVM? Please tell me how that is possible. I don't need account details or any private information that you should not share. I will be satisfied with any explanation as to how a provisioned KVM server with a set disk partition can exceed it's disk limit for 72 hours.

Unless you went in and added a partition to my server for 72 hours, there is no possible way that I exceeded your storage for 3 days...on a server that was not in use. Yes, an idle server gets usage, in bandwidth and some log storage. Those logs cannot grow further than the partition size.

Thanked by 14n0nx
  • @odiaz

Same here. My server couldn't even be installed/started because of some error or other, and support was completely useless.

How did I get billed for $40 of 'Volume'?

Thanked by 14n0nx
  • Hey wait, you can't bill people for the resources they use, because the VPS is free and the $0.50 is only verification fee, right?

• bookstackbookstack Member
    edited December 2014

The company is registered in Panama, so it is not legally bound by US laws.

@bookstack said:
    The company is registered in Panama, so it is not legally bound by US laws.

I'm sure they have a few of their own.

Thanked by 14n0nx
  • its a bug and they believe it is a feature and invoice people for it. Why? They see the bigger picture and these are trivial issues. #FortaTroll

Thanked by 2jar 4n0nx
  • odiazodiaz Member
    edited December 2014

Hi Jar-

Please keep in mind that overage charges are billed monthly, based on your usage from the previous month. From your posts, it sounds like you exceeded your volume subscription for a total of 72 hours in a month, which is made up of each time it was exceeded. So, in a nutshell, this is telling you that 9.6% of the time, you exceeded your subscription.

From the tone of your posts, it sounds like you did not actually pay this invoice and just let the service terminate for non-payment.

FWIW, Overage charges can be avoided by subscribing to the resources you require, and it is better to err on the side of caution. For instance 50GB of storage would have run you just $16/month, and you could have avoided the overage charge.

Please let me know if you have any other questions/feedback.

Thanks!

• So how the f*** can one exceed his disk (volume) space? Isn't it set and firm? How can you go over the maximum and exceed it?

Thanked by 4jar TarZZ92 Pwner Mark_R
  • rds100 said: So how the f*** can one exceed his disk (volume) space? Isn't it set and firm? How can you go over the maximum and exceed it?

You can create new disks or additional disk with more space as every cloud provider with cloudstack offers it. Nothing special.

Yep, scam. No one logged into my account. The password was extremely complex and generated only for that site. There was no disk overage. There was no usage. They bank on adding obscure line items and hoping their unintelligent customers will simply pay up rather than bother to fight.

That's all I wanted to hear. Thanks for clarifying.

Thanked by 3rds100 TarZZ92 Pwner
  • @odiaz

Are you ignoring me? Hello?

Here's a tl;dr if you can't get my drift through my two posts before this.

Could not install VPS. Could not start VPS. Got billed for $40 of Volume. How

kthx

• odiazodiaz Member
    edited December 2014

Hi Jar-

As you seem to be quite informed, and intelligent, I am sure you know that your vm can (and sounds like it was) run while you are not logged in. Hence, usage can and does occur 24 hours per day.

I find it curious that your volume usage purportedly created overage charges, while 90% of our Free Tier customers never receive them, keeping in mind the overage only occurred for 9.6% of the month. Stevie posted here that he received a $9 volume overage. Why would yours be higher?

From your posts here, it seems your clear goal in signing up was not actually to use it for a legitimate purpose, but an effort to find things to talk negatively about the service here. Sounds to me like there was something running on your instance that caused it to go over. I can assure you it was nothing we created from our end, and our usage data is not generated from code we write.

Keep the comments coming. Believe it or not, they are very helpful to us!

• No amount of logic can convince this fool. ;)

Thanked by 3netomx rahulks Mark_R
  • Hi samczsun-

I am sorry if you are having difficulty configuring your VPS. We have no known system issues, and are spinning up instances every minute. I would suggest you consult the Knowledge Base or open a support ticket if you are having difficulties.

As far as volume charges, I have gone to great lengths to explain them here, and are a measure of storage usage, which can occur whether or not an instance is actually running, as your storage obviously remains whether it is running or not. Our system simply polls the volume usage per account; that is it.

If you do not wish to risk overage charges, my suggestion would be for you to increase your storage subscription; our prices are very economical.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Thanks!

• Jar said: They bank on adding obscure line items and hoping their unintelligent customers will simply pay up rather than bother to fight.

They can approve their billing, request the cloudstack usage agent logs for your account.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

@odiaz you are a scammer and it's a shame your company is still around.

The list of "debtors" your company published? Pure blackmailing, you were even forced to take it down.

The sooner a judge can make your scammy company finally bite the dust, the better.

Thanked by 3upfreak TarZZ92 Pwner
  • I was very pleased with my Fortacloud VM.

• @odiaz

Ok, thanks for at least responding to me.

So, can you explain the following please :)

1) Why would I be billed for storage on a 'free VPS'? Doesn't that contradict the whole idea of a 'free VPS'?
    2) Why would I be billed if I couldn't use it at all?
    3) My first ticket was responded within minutes... by an auto-responder linking me to the knowledgebase, which at the time had nothing on VPSes that can't even install/start up
    4)

odiaz said: If you do not wish to risk overage charges, my suggestion would be for you to increase your storage subscription; our prices are very economical.

Why? It's a "free VPS" for a reason.

5) I'm not going to open a support ticket for $5 just to inquire how to make your silly system work for a 'free VPS' I paid and was billed further for.

• There is nothing free in this life, except the wind. There is allways something tricky behind the free hosting or vps offers.

Thanked by 1vladka24
  • 4n0nx4n0nx Member
    edited December 2014

@fileMEDIA said:

How about you redirect your attention to this thread and explain the apparent false accusations: http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/32089/complaint-against-filemedia-for-defamation/p1