Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fortacloud - 2 gig ram free vps! (Discovered to be a scam) - Page 10
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Fortacloud - 2 gig ram free vps! (Discovered to be a scam)

Comments

• MisterHost_NET said: There is nothing free in this life, except the wind. There is allways something tricky behind the free hosting or vps offers.

Then the free VPS from host1free that I had must have been an illusion. Or the free minecraft servers that I gave to random people.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • Hi Samczsun-

We provide a set of resources with the Free Tier, which we believe are very generous. You will never receive an overage charge if they are never exceeded. Imagine if we provided unlimited resources at no charge. I don't think we would be in business for very long.

Our idea is very simple, provide a great service with generous resources for free, and when and if the client needs more, they are there for them at an amazing price. Yes, we are a business, and the idea is to grow our revenue while providing excellent value and service for our customers.

This is a work in progress and all feedback will help us towards our goals.

With regards to your support issue, again we feel our charges are amazingly low, and if it is an issue on our side, you will be refunded.

Again, thanks for your feedback, and sorry for any difficulties you may have experienced.

• 4n0nx said: How about you redirect your attention to this thread and explain the apparent false accusations: http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/32089/complaint-against-filemedia-for-defamation/p1

If you are the customer, you can contact us through any support channel. If not, nothing to discuss with you.

• @odiaz

Could you give a couple of examples of configurations on your platform that would result in the customer paying nothing but the verification fee? I think that might help people to understand your pricing structure.

Thanked by 2samczsun netomx
  • @odiaz

odiaz said: You will never receive an overage charge if they are never exceeded.

That makes sense, except I'm being charged for something I'm not able to use, and in order to get support for said thing I'm not able to use, I need to pay more money.

Hypothetically, if I were able to actually use my VPS, then this situation would be less ridiculous, but I had no access to the resources I was 'allocated', so why should I be paying for it?

Besides, a $5 charge for an automated response is not 'amazingly low', unless you've moved beyond the canned responses?

• Hi Nekki-

If a user signs up for the base configuration at:

https://in.fortacloud.co/cart/free-cloud-vps-/

and does not exceed these resources, there would never be another charge.

If the user believes there is a chance they might exceed them, we would recommend they spend a few extra bucks to subscribe to additional resources, as opposed to risking overage fees.

If I can provide further visibility into this area, please let me know.

Thanks!

• Hi Samczsun-

You issue seems largely to be support related.

If you had a ticket open that was not resolved, please PM the ticket number and I will get it done.

Thanks again!

• odiaz said: If a user signs up for the base configuration at:

https://in.fortacloud.co/cart/free-cloud-vps-/

and does not exceed these resources, there would never be another charge.

So, having signed up for this plan, under what circumstances could I be charged for overages? Bandwidth I get, no issue there; but surely if I spin up the free instance there's no other way for me to be charged? I can't use more RAM, cores or HDD than the server is provisioned with.

• Just curious, what kinda of cpu can reach 11.5 GHz?

• Hi Nekki-

As I explained before, if you use more than the what you have subscribed to, irrespective of the type of resource, you will be charged an overage charge.

This is per customer account, not just instance. So, in the case of volume billing the total usage is the sum of all storage on the account, including snapshots. So, the answer to your question is yes, you can actually exceed your volume subscription, just like bandwidth; hence the volume overage invoices.

All of that being said, 90% of our base level Free Tier customers do not exceed the limit, and should customers require additional resources, our prices are among the most reasonable out there.

We are really working to improve our customer experience, and if you have any feedback on our overall system, it would be appreciated. I think we have beat the overage issue to death.

Thanks again!

• odiaz said: This is per customer account, not just instance. So, in the case of volume billing the total usage is the sum of all storage on the account, including snapshots. So, the answer to your question is yes, you can actually exceed your volume subscription, just like bandwidth; hence the volume overage invoices.

I see, so spinning up a 'free' VM with a 10GB disk would cause an overage if you took a snapshot and the combined disk usage of the VM and the snapshot exceeded 10GB would result in an overage charge, correct?

• @Nekki said:
    I see, so spinning up a 'free' VM with a 10GB disk would cause an overage if you took a snapshot and the combined disk usage of the VM and the snapshot exceeded 10GB would result in an overage charge, correct?

Technically, snapshot is extremely cheap. That is called snapshot, instead of full backup. However, the service provider may charge differently to improve their margin. I am OK with that as long as it is prompted upfront.

• This definitely could cause an overage Nekki.

If you need to use more than than the 10GB allotment, we would recommend you reflect this in your subscription.

• NekkiNekki Veteran
    edited December 2014

@odiaz said:
    This definitely could cause an overage Nekki.

If you need to use more than than the 10GB allotment, we would recommend you reflect this in your subscription.

Thanks.

So, how does someone end up with a storage overage with a VM that never starts properly?

Thanked by 4jar samczsun netomx Pwner
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited December 2014

odiaz said: As you seem to be quite informed, and intelligent, I am sure you know that your vm can (and sounds like it was) run while you are not logged in. Hence, usage can and does occur 24 hours per day.

Certainly, I would absolutely agree with that. Except that I was billed for disk usage. A KVM partition is not elastic in that it grows beyond it's partitioned size without action taken to specifically increase the available disk space or add a new partition. Bandwidth usage is what happens when you think it is idle. Disk usage then happens from brute force increasing log sizes and of course log rotation. However, none of that can go over the size of the partition unless someone successfully resizes the partition or adds a new one. I can assure you that unless your software was compromised or one of your staff members did so themselves, no one did this.

To compromise my password to FortaCloud from my end, one would have gained access to my entire life, targeted my FortaCloud account to increase my bill and troll me, then left the entire rest of my life alone. If anyone wishes to stand up and identify themselves as the person who walked into a gold mine, drew a penis on the wall, and walked out without a single hand full of gold, I will shake their hand.

Thanked by 3rds100 Darwin asf
  • @Nekki said:
    So, how does someone end up with a storage overage with a VM that never starts properly?

I would imagine there could be a variety of scenarios that could actually cause this, given storage exists independently of an instance. It sounds like a technical issue beyond the scope of what I can do here. I would suggest you open a ticket. Maybe there is an issue with the instance, related to it not starting that could be causing this.

If you open a ticket, PM me with the number, and I will follow its progress.

Thanks!

• Thats one of those $5 tickets, right?

• @Jar said:
    To compromise my password to FortaCloud from my end, one would have gained access to my entire life, targeted my FortaCloud account to increase my bill and troll me, then left the entire rest of my life alone. If anyone wishes to stand up and identify themselves as the person who walked into a gold mine, drew a penis on the wall, and walked out without a single hand full of gold, I will shake their hand.

Hi Jar-

I am not privy as to how you configured your account, and many scenarios are possible, including what you describe. I can tell you that that volume usage is taken directly from the usage on your account, and it has been our experience that it is accurate. The code that is being used to do this has a very large user base, and exists outside of our organization.

As this goes really beyond the scope of what I can do in a public folder, I would suggest you open a ticket and PM me with the number so I can follow it through.

Thanks again for your feedback!

• @Nekki

Hahaha xD

• Nekki said:

I think that you cannot count on one hand how much times he said to open a ticket.
    I think that someone has found a gold mine...

• @Darwin said:
    Just curious, what kinda of cpu can reach 11.5 GHz?

@odiaz care to explain how is this possible?

• @Darwin

Sorry, but that's something that FortaCloud can't discuss in a public forum, due to privacy issues.

However, you can feel free to open a ticket, and they'll sort it all out.

Jokes aside, I think we're not gonna get anything out of @odiaz anytime soon. After all this feeding, you'd think he'd be full (ofshitthatis).

• @Darwin said:
    odiaz care to explain how is this possible?

When you purchase Cloud Resources, it is a pool that can be used for multiple instances. So if you purchased 11Ghz, you could use this resource to create 1Ghz on 11 separate instances.

The same would hold true for RAM, Storage, etc.

We probably can improve how this is explained on the order page, and I will pass it along.

Please keep the questions coming.

Thanks!

• @fileMEDIA said:

BTW
    pls check Ticket #219754 submitted 28.12.2014 23:16, i am still waiting...

• Keep away from them its fortatrust!
    just google it and I also have bad experience with them.

Thanked by 1Maximum_VPS
  • jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited January 2015

I bought the "free cloud" from them for $0.50 and now, they tried to... charge me for volume (????), paypal fees (!!!!!!!) etc. The server was off, the vps was never used, I got it only to see what is this "free cloud". I didn't loose money, but this is a warning for all potential buyers. STAY AWAY

And, what the hell is volume? It this little button in amplifiers that turns music on? Because, volume in a vps is the hdd, the bandwidth, the ram that are included in $0.50!

PS: I received the invoice just today! I didn get any other invoice earlier...

Thanked by 3ehab Maximum_VPS Pwner
  • Yep, same here!

Thanked by 1Maximum_VPS
  • @joodle I like the precision in volume metering! 0.39815 of an hour is 0,0015 of a minute!

Thanked by 1Maximum_VPS
  • @jvnadr said:
    joodle I like the precision in volume metering! 0.39815 of an hour is 0,0015 of a minute!

Not quite.

.39815 hours = 23.889 minutes = 23 minutes and 53.34 seconds

So yes, they are supposedly measuring down to the centisecond. Which if you think about it, is better than just rounding up which most providers would do.