Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Apple's new MacBook Pro - Views? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Apple's new MacBook Pro - Views?

Comments

• @liam said: @Maounique said: yahoo messenger

Where have you been in the last 5 years?

Romania still loves Yahoo.

I still use MSN, with the same account I've had for... 10ish years or so.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

I started out with MSN also. It was version 2 or 3 iirc. But it is true messenger here means yahoo.
    Short is called mes, read like mess in english :P
    M

• qenoxqenox Member

@netomx said: that's why ignorant ppl wants a Mac... because they are "faster"... they compare a $200 netbook with a $1300 laptop... not fair!

That doesn't even make sense. If you take a macbook pro, find the spec equivalent windows notebook, then you'll see pricing is very similar between the two.

• Here people still use ICQ... I don't really know why since its so shitty but i guess its due to the kinda lack of alternatives.

Similar you mean with a margin of like 20% ? That is the minimum spread i found some time ago when I checked this.
    M

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited June 2012

@qenox The key to that is also noting the difference in release cycles. Generally a mac is close in price with similar machines at release, but other companies update their lines and prices more often, so toward the end of a release cycle it usually isn't still true. Which is fine, just different.

With this screen it's hard to compare anyway. You can't buy it on another laptop. It's of value to someone.

• qenoxqenox Member

@Maounique in NA the difference between same spec'd is give or take a 100

@jarland Fair enough, but they do bump up the specs annually, so the "apple tax" is more myth than fact. The new models seem to be on a 2 year cycle right now.

edited June 2012

@jarland said: @qenox The key to that is also noting the difference in release cycles. Generally a mac is close in price with similar machines at release, but other companies update thee lines and prices more often, so toward the end of a release cycle it usually isn't still true. Which is fine, just different.

It also means Macs last longer and devaluate less. If we compare a sony vaio with a mac they are not that far away, but a similarly powered Toshiba, DELL or HP which are all respectable brands are quite apart.
    I guess the smaller the market, the bigger the spread.
    M

True. I sold a two year old MacBook Pro to a reseller for $800 in 2008. Typically I count this in my cost as well, I don't keep a machine until its dead.

• qenoxqenox Member

apple MD103LL stock is 1799, 1899 with 8GB
    dell XPS 15z is about 1549 Sony Vaio S is about the same (with windows home, ultimate is $150 more).

@jarland, that's comparing the old model; the new model has a display I can't find on the dell site or sony.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran
    edited June 2012

@qenox said: That doesn't even make sense. If you take a macbook pro, find the spec equivalent windows notebook, then you'll see pricing is very similar between the two.

Not similar, I know, read it please. I am talking about ppl who doesn't know about computers.

@Maounique said: It also means Macs last longer and devaluate less.

I dont think they last longer, but surely doesn't devaluate!

• NateN34NateN34 Member
    edited June 2012

I think its OK, but overall I would not touch it.

Non-removabable battery, that is glued to the case.........trash.
    CPU soldered to the motherboard.....
    RAM soldered to the motherboard........
    Proprietary SSD...
    Looks like the wireless card is also SOLDERED to the damn logic board!
    No ethernet port!? Need an adapter wtf?!
    Proprietary case screws, so you can't take it apart without special screwdriver.
    HORRIBLE cooling. You seen this garbage yet? http://cdn.slashgear.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Apple-MacBook-Pro-Family-It’s-never-been-more-powerful..jpg
    Weak GPU with high res screen, means games can't really be played.

Overall those things make the laptop disposable IMO. And boy am I glad Apple does not make cars.....they would be welding transmissions to engines and the engines to the frames.

This laptop will be good for the average Apple consumer, who does not know much about computers. Although for me or anyone else, it would not work. I have had to on many occasions take apart both my laptops and netbooks. Wether this be to replace the thermal paste, replace the battery, upgrade the RAM, replace the screen, replace the keyboard or reflow a chip......it all had to be taken apart and parts had to be replacable. With this Macbook, none of this can be done, so if I ever need to repair, I cannot.......Oh want to upgrade the RAM or replace the faulty RAM sticks on the laptop?..........just buy a whole new "logic board" for $1,000+!

I am glad that they came out with this laptop though. This gave PC manufacturers the bump, to start rolling out high resolution screens in the future.

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • qenoxqenox Member

@NateN34 said: Oh want to upgrade the RAM or replace the faulty RAM sticks on the laptop?..........just buy a whole new "logic board" for $1,000+!

Or you just get the applecare like everyone does and pay ... $0 when anything fails (and get whatever model is current).

• qenoxqenox Member

@NateN34 said: This laptop will be good for the average consumer, who does not know much about computers.

There I fixed that for you; you do realize that most will never, ever, open their laptop? You are obviously not their target audience.

• @qenox said: You are obviously not their target audience.

Yeah, I obviously am not.

I don't like disposable laptops...

edited June 2012

@NateN34 You assume people who understand computers want to open them up. I put in my years building machines and opening them up all the time. When my focus became content, I realized how much time I was wasting on the machine. Sure I can do it, but I'd rather not. I could change the oil in my car too, but I won't. Can't think of another video editor who suffered from an inability to reapply thermal paste, yet it hardly goes to knowledge. Most of us, knowledgable or not, are not opening up our laptops all the time. A self respecting power user has to replace a laptop in 2-3 years. If 8 or 16gb isn't enough for 2-3 years, why would you even be buying a laptop? Don't care what laptop you buy, you're not doing significant upgrades to the CPU or GPU, and those are serious bottlenecks 2-3 years after purchase for a performance junkie, on any laptop.

Thanked by 3qenox Chief syaman
  • @qenox said: Or you just get the applecare like everyone does and pay ... $0 when anything fails (and get whatever model is current).

Non true everytime. Lots of horror stories about apple care (some i can narrate myself).

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@NateN34 said: You seen this garbage yet?

It's a face with a massive stashe.

OH GOD ITS LOOKING THROUGH ME.

Francisco

• I'm sure apple fanboys will defend their behavior, they always do.

We are not their target customers. While a few ppl do agree with this policy, the rest here dont, but, as I said before, they couldnt care less.
    Apple will be the BVLGARI of electronics, you dont change the mechanics of a BVLGARI watch yourself, nor unscrew stuff there, heck, dont even change the battery if it is a quartz watch.
    Stop looking at those like they are computers, for a while will have this dual function, but the fashion side will be more and more important for the marketing of Apple and engineers too.
    Someone mentioned weak GPU, soon will be weak CPU and weak HDD, only battery will be more and more advanced because ppl will like big battery but wont need top processing power to check their emails while in the car on their way to the riviera. No GSM sticks either, custom SIMs, soldered, if possible, one GSM provider for the whole world, etc. Expensive but will work everywhere.
    That is the kind of notebook ppl are looking for, except the expensive part that doesnt appeal to all, the rest is perfect for the average joe.
    One day the other producers will follow at least with some models and prices will fall.
    By then Apple would have either moved totally to tablets or whatever else they would have thought of.
    Give ppl what they want, make it look great and just work to do what everyone does, this is the key. Some of us dont understand it, but this is because we dont understand the average user. I will never pay more than 300 dollars on a notebook and I want to customise in detail, but the average Joe doesnt, he just wants it to do what everyone else is doing with theirs. If he has to part with 2k USD, fine, if he cant afford, he would rather keep his machine home than to be embarassed in public for owning one of those cheap machines.
    M

• Has anyone actually bought one of these?

• The only reason I got apple product:

1) Xcode programming
    2) FaceTime With family and gf

Not very likely to get anymore apple stuffs after this.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

I have no problem with Apple selling high-end gear.
    It's just that they don't sell low-end.

Their view of computing is so impossible for non-first-world, non-upper-quintile purchasers. If Apple ran the world, only a small elite would have computers.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@cosmicgate said: 2) FaceTime With family and gf

Seriously? I use Facetime sometimes just because my daughter has an ipod, but there are a zillion free alternatives.

• To get the thin profile of the RMBP you have to sacrifice a few things such as upgradability because the ram socket itself would not fit.

The SSD is upgradable, but the connector itself is different, but not patent encumbered and OWC is working on a version for upgrades.

• I won't buy a desktop or laptop without an ethernet port.

• @dmmcintyre3 said: I won't buy a desktop or laptop without an ethernet port.

When was the last time you saw one on the road? Even hotels are getting rid of them, although for the perspective of troubleshooting a wired server yes it's handy to have, but a USB one gets the job done.

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • dmmcintyre3dmmcintyre3 Member
    edited June 2012

@FRCorey said: When was the last time you saw one on the road? Even hotels are getting rid of them, although for the perspective of troubleshooting a wired server yes it's handy to have, but a USB one gets the job done.

I break 1-2 flash drives (bend/break the plug) on laptops a year and I don't use flash drives anywhere near as often as I use ethernet.

• KairusKairus Member

Lol, I like how Samsung developed a proprietary SSD for Apple for the new Macbook whilst they're each suing each other to hell.

Zero interest in any of their products though, I like to build my own computers. Their cases are nice though.

• @Kairus said: Lol, I like how Samsung developed a proprietary SSD for Apple for the new Macbook whilst they're each suing each other to hell.

You underestimate how large Samsung is - Just as info:
    *South Korea is called the "Republic of Samsung" because everything is made by Samsung: Buildings, Weapons, Phones, Computers etc etc
    *Samsung employees 350000 people which is almost 3% of the entire workforce of South Korea
    *Samsung pays around 10% if the ENTIRE tax income of South Korea (source unknown, but sounds legit)

While Apple... is Apple, with a few 1000 employees.

Thanked by 1djvdorp