Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Apple's new MacBook Pro - Views? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Apple's new MacBook Pro - Views?

Comments

• qenoxqenox Member

And in case you are wondering, I own a macbook air and a lenovo; each of them quite good.

• @gsrdgrdghd said: @RoboCot said: I can't see any reason to use win7 instead of osx

How about running Windows software?

Exclusive windows software is a niche. I don't know a single user in need for a CAD.

Besides, if you want to feel pain whips and canes are funnier ;)

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@qenox said: 2800 notebook with a 500 dollar one

that's why ignorant ppl wants a Mac... because they are "faster"... they compare a $200 netbook with a $1300 laptop... not fair!

@RoboCot said: I don't know a single user in need for a CAD.

Me, and it is not the CAD part I need, but the CAM part =P

And I have no pain with windows, believe. No virus, no lockups, no nothing :)

• @netomx at this point it's only a personal preference factor.
    I really love osx user interface and the overall usability but i'm starting to hate the new "view" of apple (drm, IOS-like, absurd bug never fixed, etc).

• nabonabo Member

@RoboCot said: Exclusive windows software is a niche.

So you're not working in the legal-, financial-, taxation-, accounting-business. For us anything but Windows is a niche.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • Apple doesn't know about my heatgun and soldering Iron - i repair that b*tch no matter how much glue they use :p

Thanked by 2Liam [Deleted User]
  • You listed some niches. If you sums them you'll obtain a list of niches :)

Anyway mine was a provocation. I'll retire from this thread before starts of holy wars (i'm guilty as well).

• @RoboCot said: Exclusive windows software is a niche. I don't know a single user in need for a CAD.

How many games do run properly and native on a Mac?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Who plays games?

• @jarland said: Who plays games?

I do.

• nabonabo Member

@jarland said: Who plays games?

Quite a few.

• @jarland said: Who plays games?

Me too. Botanicula is a little gem.

(message holy-war free)

It's all relative ;)

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Someone remembers Toshiba T-1000 ? It had DOS in a chip, some kind of ROM.
    In those days ram was soldered, for instance.
    Apple was on the verge of bankruptcy with their philosophy of being apart, now they make tons of money with the same idea.
    How on earth did this happen ?
    In the past ppl using computers were professionals and geeks.
    Today GFs are Mac fans. They dont need upgrades, it just needs to be fashionable and run yahoo messenger, skype and bejewelled along the ocasional browser. Would send it to be repaired anyway after it had an accident, therefore we are the ones that dont understand the market.
    Apple does and earned good money from that. We dont like it ? Who cares.
    M

Thanked by 1seraphkz
  • nabonabo Member

@Maounique said: we are the ones that dont understand the market.

Luckily enough, there is no "the market" and I can still get what I like.

Mac vs pc summary of both sides:

I need you to agree with me that my purchase was smarter and you only buy glorified Facebook machines.

Next.

• @Maounique said: Apple does and earned good money from that. We dont like it ? Who cares.

I do.
    Because i'm very comfortable with osx and former mac machines (i loved polycarbonate mb) and i fear the moment i'm not comfortable anymore.
    Back to windows? I hope not.
    Linux? Still very raw.
    Not much left. Maybe the old plan9. :P

Every action doesn't have to be followed with a plan. It's ok to feel it out.

• @gsrdgrdghd said: How many games do run properly and native on a Mac?

Most games run well on Macs nowadays. Game developers would be foolish not to develop for OSX.

• Also, virtualisation is pretty optimized these days. For games etc too. Else --> bootcamp windows :p

@djvdorp said: bootcamp windows

God jobs will burn you alive in hell!!! While he's visiting it to sell some Apple products =P

I mean the high-end market. That for the shiny fashionable "apparel" like handbags, watches, jewelry, iPhones, Macs, whatever.
    Hopefully there will always be a market for business and I can get my low-end bobcats and make servers out of them to virtualize 10 machines for my home lab... If that fails, there is the second new...
    Neah, electronics can be so cheap today there will always be a market for all. Just that Acer wont get rich from me, not even Asus or AsRock, but fashion houses like Apple will get off their customers.
    I am not pro nor against, they cater for another segment of the population, maybe something good will come out of it, some innovation, some breakthrough and everyone benefits.
    M

edited June 2012

That's the misunderstanding. It isn't about fashion. Maybe to some, but what isn't that true with? It's not very hipster or fashionable of me to prefer final cut, it's how I do my best work in the most productive manner. Everyone can't be the same.

edited June 2012

Trust me, they dont make the money from ppl that want to be productive, they tried that before Steve's second coming and they failed, the real thick money are made from fashion and the ability to set the trend to it.
    Apple are more designers than engineers, more marketers than producers. FOR NOW they inherited the functionality and great design of the previous era, but as I see it going, that segment is increasingly neglected these days and will probably continue to diminish.
    The Swiss were making great watches that were precise and fit. Today they are more jewels than time pieces, but they kept the functionality. I hope Apple will do the same but I dont have high hopes.
    M

edited June 2012

It's an interesting theory but tomorrow I'll buy what I need tomorrow, today I'll buy what I need today. Today what I need is function that provides maximum productivity. What provides that productivity is largely based on personality and preference. I can't sit around talking about my theories of their future based on their past when I've work to do. That doesn't bring home the bacon ;)

@jarland said: What provides that productivity is largely based on personality and preference.

Sure thing, it is more likely to work best for you if you believe it will.
    It is not the case now, but in 10 years I can imagine you picking up a netbook or something with linux/android/chrome, whatever and wonder how on earth you did without. It is possible if things continue the way I see them now.
    M

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@Maounique said: yahoo messenger

Real digerati run ICQ and AIM.

Wait...that's the only two IM services cPanel supports...

Thanked by 1netomx

Count me in. I love BSD but Linux isn't exactly a product I don't enjoy. Honestly I'm ready to be done with standard machines. Tablet, broadband, cloud computing.

edited June 2012

@raindog308 said: Real digerati run ICQ and AIM.

I only use the embedded one in gmail. Used to have yahoo but I am only logging into it invisible when i read mail once a few days otherwise my 1 k contacts would not let me do anything.
    M