Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

any ramnode alternative with backups, 50GB+, <=$15/y - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

any ramnode alternative with backups, 50GB+, <=$15/y

Comments

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Neah, I have a lot of identities, but anyone with the proper warrants can trace them down, the warrants are no longer needed today, so I am the canary in the mine, when I will be arrested for fighting for this right under manufactured charges (instigation, libel, sedition, tax evasion, god knows what), you will know you need to take my advice seriously and hide your ass.

• wychwych Member
    edited July 2014

removed, not worth it.

Thanked by 10xdragon
  • @Nekki Lock this up please? The OP obviously doesn't want help, and it'll derail quickly.

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

To be clear, we are planning to offer a different backup system once we replace SolusVM. Something more flexible and reliable than the current system. Sorry to see you leave.

• NekkiNekki Veteran
    edited July 2014

@0xdragon said:
    Nekki Lock this up please? The OP obviously doesn't want help, and it'll derail quickly.

The OP still wants offers that meet his spec, so unless he starts being unnecessarily antagonistic towards other posters again, I don't see that this needs to be locked.

• @0xdragon said:
    Nekki Lock this up please? The OP obviously doesn't want help, and it'll derail quickly.

I want offers, what I don't want is advice about backup strategies. not that hard to understand, or is it?

• @Leechum said:
    I want offers, what I don't want is advice about backup strategies. not that hard to understand, or is it?

If you are going to be disrespectful towards people that spend their free time trying to help you solve something, you're going to overstay your welcome here soon enough. Consider this a warning for being disrespectful towards our members.

This forum is such a nice place because people are trying to help you rather than just say where you should go. Maybe you were looking for another easy backup strategy. How were we supposed to know? You did not even explicitly mention not to be looking for advice in your OP.

While the answers here may not be what you were looking for, common courtesy is to just thank people for their efforts and say "but I am actually only looking for a replacement". If you'd simply done that you would have probably come off better :-)

• cassacassa Member

@AutoSnipe said:
    http://inceptionhosting.com/remote-backup-server/

but only 20GB/service so get 3 services and got 60gb.. ;)

How to order?

• LeechumLeechum Member
    edited July 2014

@mpkossen: I'm not looking for answers about backup strategies, I'm looking for VPS offers - for that particular reason this question is in "Requests". So those who keep educating me on these are just wasting time, why would I be grateful for advice I don't want, I don't need, and I didn't ask for?

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@cassa said:
    How to order?

I would suggest raising a ticket with Inception since the order button isn't working.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@Leechum said:
    mpkossen: I'm not looking for answers about backup strategies, I'm looking for VPS offers - for that particular reason this question is in "Requests". So those who keep educating me on these are just wasting time, why would I be grateful for advice I don't want, I don't need, and I didn't ask for?

http://lowendbox.com

you're welcome

Thanked by 1mpkossen
  • 0xdragon0xdragon Member
    edited July 2014

@Leechum said:
    mpkossen: I'm not looking for answers about backup strategies, I'm looking for VPS offers - for that particular reason this question is in "Requests". So those who keep educating me on these are just wasting time, why would I be grateful for advice I don't want, I don't need, and I didn't ask for?

Why should we waste our time looking for them if you're just going to use us like researchers? Go find it yourself if this is your attitude.

Also, that's the admin of LET. You're treading on thin ice now.

Thanked by 1Lee
  • cassacassa Member

Nekki said: I would suggest raising a ticket with Inception since the order button isn't working.

https://clients.inceptionhosting.com/cart.php?gid=2

• NekkiNekki Veteran

So you know how to order, you just asked how to for a laugh, or you've since found the link?

• @0xdragon said:

I fail to understand why you keep posting in this thread

• @Leechum said:

I fail to understand why you're here on LET. Stop being rude to people who are posting in good faith.

Want concise, to the point answers? Go to Google, not a community forum.

Have fun getting banned, because considering your selfish nature and the attitude shown here, you're going to be. Soon.

• If you want to understand why, read the OP. Simples.

• cassacassa Member

@Nekki said:
    So you know how to order, you just asked how to for a laugh, or you've since found the link?

I found the link after posting I can't find it ;)

• @Leechum said:

I guess you read as badly as you write. I said it's common courtesy. If someone gives you $100 without asking for it, will you be rude to that person as well? :shrugs: People are just trying to help.

Keeping that attitude will not get you far here, or in life in general, by the way.

• ironhideironhide Member
    edited July 2014

. huh!

• sleddogsleddog Member
    edited July 2014

MrObvious said: The fact that this is a public discussion board means that you can't dictate what people post in your thread, bud.

Hey, you can't dictate that people can't dictate what people post! :)

Back on topic... a provider backup is different from a self-maintained backup. A reliable provider backup (aka 'snapshot') lets you quickly restore a VM after, say, a catastrophic hardware failure. You can achieve the same thing with a self-maintained offsite backup, but it's much slower and more work.

Some hosts do offer backups, but you should (IMO) take it with a grain of salt. There's been many a report of failed backups after catastrosphic failures... Provider backups are great if you can restore a backup snapshot to a new VM (to test the backup system), but you shouldn't really bank on its success. Expect the worse, and have sufficient self-maintained backups to let you rebuild from scratch.

Thanked by 1MrObvious
  • @sleddog said:

Not going to quote the whole thing, but well said. FWIW, I do my own backups and have an install script that can get a box back up and running in 15 to 20 minutes. I can understand wanting an offsite backup especially one with a high transfer rate, but I would only count provider level backups as "last resort."

• hostnoobhostnoob Member
    edited July 2014

I just noticed if you search LEB for backups, you just get spammed with backupsy offers. well played whoever owns backupsy, well played.

Anyway @leechum according to their posts on LEB, Crissic and CatalystHost backup their nodes weekly.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @hostnoob said:
    I just noticed if you search LEB for backups, you just get spammed with backupsy offers. well played whoever owns backupsy, well played.

What are you implying?

• @serverian said:
    What are you implying?

I mean it's a really clever name, because you type "backup" or "backups" and all of the backupsy posts come up :)

Thanked by 1serverian
  • BradBrad Member

@hostnoob said:

Anyway leechum according to their posts on LEB, Crissic and CatalystHost backup their nodes weekly.

But if you search on LET, you just get spammed with this thread ;)

• CrabCrab Member

VPSDime has a daily backup for their VPSes and you'll get a full access to fetch any/all files whenever you need.

• @mpkossen said:
    If someone gives you $100 without asking for it, will you be rude to that person as well? :shrugs: People are just trying to help.

This is a case of everyone telling me I have a $100 in my pocket. I know that, and it's not anyone elses business, thank you very much.

• kaflokaflo Member
    edited July 2014

If you haven't mentioned Ramnode in your posts, I think this thread would have gone a totally different direction.

Thanked by 1Maounique
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

kaflo said: If you haven't mentioned Ramnode in your posts, I think this thread would have gone a totally different direction.

No, I don't think it would - no-one cares that it's Ramnode, it's the provider backups that people have strong opinions on.