Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

any ramnode alternative with backups, 50GB+, <=$15/y
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

any ramnode alternative with backups, 50GB+, <=$15/y

As Ramnode just dropped their backups, on the look for alternative. I don't mind Ram/Cpu as I'm only using it for owncloud. Any alternatives at $15/y that will give me at least 50GB of HDD? Doesn't have to be SSD.

Comments

• 0xdragon0xdragon Member
    edited July 2014

Backups are one of those "premium" things. I know that DO and Vultr both have snapshots, but they're minimum $5/mth.

If you're willing to pay a little more, I'm sure there are providers that allow backups :)

If you want EU, there is: (I have not tried these guys)

http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/30791/de-vps-hosting-snapshots-private-network-iso-boot-75-discount-starts-at-10-47-y

And there is also Prometeus, but they may be out of your price range.

@fileMEDIA

If you want US-ish, there is: (they are excellent, and I have the LET-JULY-4GB-40GB-4TB-QUARTERLY with them)

http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/30615/my-custom-hosting-canada-kvm-free-ovh-ddos-protection-native-ipv6-e5-s-ssd-cached-no-bs

@MCHPhil

Anyway, I should beat the dead horse and tell you that you should be doing your own backups away from a provider.

Thanked by 1Leechum
  • http://inceptionhosting.com/remote-backup-server/

but only 20GB/service so get 3 services and got 60gb.. ;)

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited July 2014

We have automatic backups for some biz and selected SSD plans, but they are once a week and only for disaster recovery, this is why we offer every customer 10 GB off-site backup space and much more for the biz plans, up to 50, but you need to manage your own backups. Besides, the price is not 15/y.

• rds100rds100 Member

While having backups from your provider is nice, you should really take your own backups. What if the provider gets hacked and the backups are deleted, together with your VPS?

Also think of all those buses that constantly chase and kill providers ;-)

• LeeLee Veteran

What @rds100 said, you should only rely on provider backups for getting you back up quickly in the event something goes wrong, not as your only recovery strategy that is just foolish

• check out crissic's latest post. they offer 100GB for $15/yr and they are VERY GOOD!

http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/30821/ovz256-10-yr-ovz512-15-yr-kvm512-30-yr-unmetered-inbound-bandwidth-crissic-solutions-llc

Thanked by 1Leechum
  • SaahibSaahib Host Rep, Veteran

Why don't you buy some cheap storage VPS (buyvm, backupsy, vpsdime) and create backups for yourself..

• Just get a backup server with someone else. You could end up with another host who suddenly goes out of business and leaves you stranded. I'm sure a lot of people here could share horror stories about this scenario.

edited July 2014

IMO, Ramnode did a good thing, stopping backups. If you are doing backups properly, you have a specialized solution, a central place where you store stuff, preferably with a reputable provider or replicated daily some other place, better both.
    Your data deserves 10 Eur a month for a bullet-proof backup solution, if it does not, just take backups at home when you remember, and that is fine too. Keeping the live AND backed up data in the same place (or even in different places with same datacenter operator) is a serious mistake you will come to regret one day.

• I don't care about your advice about doing backup myself, this request is plain and simple - where do I get a similar service for similar price. I'm not looking for advice about best backup practices, all I'm looking for is a VPS with backup functionality. I see some fols here feel the urge for mentoring everyone - please, stop. You're not adding anything to this discussion.

• NekkiNekki Veteran
    edited July 2014

@Leechum said:
    I don't care about your advice about doing backup myself, this request is plain and simple - where do I get a similar service for similar price. I'm not looking for advice about best backup practices, all I'm looking for is a VPS with backup functionality. I see some fols here feel the urge for mentoring everyone - please, stop. You're not adding anything to this discussion.

Don't be rude bud, this is a discussion forum, not your personal Q&A space. People are offering opinions, if you're not interested you're free to ignore them, but please don't tell others what they can and can't post in this thread.

• @ironhide said:
    check out crissic's latest post. they offer 100GB for $15/yr and they are VERY GOOD!

http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/30821/ovz256-10-yr-ovz512-15-yr-kvm512-30-yr-unmetered-inbound-bandwidth-crissic-solutions-llc

don't see backup being mentioned here?

• @Nekki said:
    Don't be rude bud, this is a discussion forum, not your personal Q&A space. People are offering opinion, if you're not interested your free to ignore then, but please don't tell others what they can and can't post in this thread.

lol, thanks for the advice mr moderator, a discussion forum you say? so I'm discussing here any possible offers for VPS with back up, not backup strategies, that's wh6y I posted it in "Requests" category. and while you may see me as being rude, the same way I see others that are ansering off-topic to my request

• NekkiNekki Veteran
    edited July 2014

@Leechum said:
    lol, thanks for the advice mr moderator, a discussion forum you say? so I'm discussing here any possible offers for VPS with back up, not backup strategies, that's wh6y I posted it in "Requests" category. and while you may see me as being rude, the same way I see others that are ansering off-topic to my request

I see you as rude because you referred to well-meaning folks as 'fools' (well fols, but let's not quibble over spelling). People not saying what you want them to say is not rude. If you think it is, you may as well go elsewhere.

Thanked by 1ironhide
  • another off-topic spot-on advice. super thanks!

• wychwych Member
    edited July 2014

@Leechum said:
    I don't care about your advice about doing backup myself, this request is plain and simple - where do I get a similar service for similar price. I'm not looking for advice about best backup practices, all I'm looking for is a VPS with backup functionality. I see some fols here feel the urge for mentoring everyone - please, stop. You're not adding anything to this discussion.

Think you need to appreciate what people are advising you on and realise its the internet and people will say what they want.

Thanked by 10xdragon
  • Linode's backup system is great. It's not bundled with the service - you pay extra per VPS (i.e. $2.50/month for a 1gb VPS) and the price scales with the size of the VPS. They allow you to take automated weekly/nightly backups and a manual snapshot as well.

I think VPSDime recently introduced automated backups as well, using Idera. I believe that's bundled with the VPS, no extra cost.

• let them have it then, why I am being asked to not do it myself?

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@Leechum said:
    another off-topic spot-on advice. super thanks!

You have a wonderful attitude.

Thanked by 1Leechum
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

@Leechum here you go: https://www.wiredtree.com/orders/orders.php?plan=244&step=2

Integrated R1soft and fully managed so you need to think.

Good fair price too.

• @AnthonySmith said:
    Leechum here you go: https://www.wiredtree.com/orders/orders.php?plan=244&step=2

Integrated R1soft and fully managed so you need to think.

Good fair price too.

Perfect! ;-)

• rskrsk Member, Patron Provider
    edited July 2014

Nekki said: You have a wonderful attitude.

I smell the "ban hammer" :P

On a serious note, we do offer 50GB offsite FTP space. However, we do not offer yearly plans just as of yet. If you do not mind monthly pricing, we can work something out :-)

• @wych said:

appreciate what exactly? the advice I DON'T need nor WANT?

• The fact that this is a public discussion board means that you can't dictate what people post in your thread, bud.

edited July 2014

That's the issue with free speech :( People say what they want, some of them are also anonymous so you can't really retaliate, at least for now.
    Apart from that, what you want is 100+ GB (since it takes backups) for 1.25 a month. It must also be a vps so you can also host some game there, I suppose.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

Maounique said: People say what they want, some of them are also anonymous so you can't really retaliate, at least for now.

Says Captain Anonymous.

Thanked by 3Lee mikho C0mpass
  • @MrObvious said:
    The fact that this is a public discussion board means that you can't dictate what people post in your thread, bud.

dictate? I don't recall dictating anything, I'm just saying their input is not appreciated. two different things, kid

• Our CloudVMs (http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/30791/de-vps-hosting-snapshots-private-network-iso-boot-75-discount-starts-at-10-47-y) includes a Snapshot/Backup space. It can be upgraded over the client area. Backups can be done manually or scheduled.

Thanked by 1Leechum
    edited July 2014

@Nekki said:
    Says Captain Anonymous.

I am not, you have my real IPs :) Fighting for a right, does not mean you have to use it, it must be there for when the time comes.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@Maounique said:
    I am not, you have my real IPs :) Fighting for a right, does not mean you have to use it, it must be there for when the time comes.

It never even crossed my mind to have a look at your IP. I think I would always have assumed you obscured it with a chain of proxies or something like that.