Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sick of unreliable VPS hosts, beware of these - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Sick of unreliable VPS hosts, beware of these

Comments

• BoxodeBoxode Member

eric1212 said: Sorry for inconvenience.

You forgot to include the part where you offer the client 350%+ downtime credit?

• sleddogsleddog Member
    edited July 2014

alexh said: You seem to like defending new/unreliable providers a lot.

I like to see new providers given a fair shake, and not dismissed out of hand solely on the basis that they're new. I'm a small business operator myself and I know how tough it is to start.

I don't defend "unreliable" providers, never have and never will.

alexh said: I just feel extremely stupid having handed money to somebody who seemingly had no intent of providing the advertised service; I don't want anybody else to feel this way. It really sucks.

I'm sorry to hear your bad experience, and I'm glad you shared it here for others to read.

Thanked by 1souen
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

@alexh said:
    Their websites looked and felt more professional than others. The design of both remains unique, specifically INIZ' currently, and their content was never lacking. Nick published KB articles that were insightful and helpful, and led me to believe staff there were initially knowledgeable. Furthermore, support was seemingly always fast. These attributes are easy to pick out, and differ heavily from many competitors.

StormVZ's original design was pretty plain, their currently design isn't really relevant.

I'll give you that Ramnode had a somewhat different design and the KB articles, but I'm not sure these are so much indicators of quality as a sign that some time has been spent on the website.

Support speed is another irrelevant point as you wouldn't have known the speed without buying a plan.

So in summary, you'd be happy buying from a new playa if they had a nice website, is that right? Not saying there's anything wrong with that, but to me, that's not really something that makes a new provider 'stand out'.

• viCommunications said: 350%+ downtime credit

LOL ya. I'll push for something like this. Still wouldn't make up for the downtime :(

• BoxodeBoxode Member

eric1212 said: Still wouldn't make up for the downtime :(

A nicely written email about how you were ddosed and a rooter broke should suffice. Companies have used the trick for years.

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

@viCommunications said:
    A nicely written email about how you were ddosed and a rooter broke should suffice. Companies have used the trick for years.

You should write a book about all the insider tricks and secrets you you know about from the VPS industry.

Thanked by 10xdragon
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

@Jack said:
    a rooter!

A squirmy one, I expect.

• viCommunications said: A nicely written email about how you were ddosed and a rooter broke should suffice. Companies have used the trick for years.

Yikes! I would never allow that kind of misleading email to be sent out. It's likely we will send a mass mail out to the customers who were affected, explaining the situation and what we can do to prevent it in the future. (Appears to be around 25% total between the nodes) along with some sort of compensation.

• J1021J1021 Member

viCommunications said: A nicely written email about how you were ddosed and a rooter broke should suffice. Companies have used the trick for years.

Now that isn't very transparent, something I believed your were a strong advocate of.

• Why does every sig you make have a typo?

Thanked by 2Cakey Nekki
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

@viCommunications I think yours already has mate.

• sleddog said: Why does every sig you make have a typo?

I have been wondering the same thing myself.

• BlaZeBlaZe Member, Host Rep

I don't get it. There must be some problem with them. You should not defame a company like this :(

• alexhalexh Member

@Nekki said:
    So in summary, you'd be happy buying from a new playa if they had a nice website, is that right? Not saying there's anything wrong with that, but to me, that's not really something that makes a new provider 'stand out'.

Having a nice design remains relatively easy, especially with the huge increase in open-source HTML/CSS frameworks, web fonts, CMS themes and the likes. On the same token, it's possible to spot a "template website" fairly easily. This is where content factors in. It's also possible to alter the design elements of, for example, a CSS framework to look unique.

I do agree, though, to some extent. This is only one aspect that I consider when finding a host, though. Researching the host's history and reading reviews are always something I do, and if not possible, I'll gladly pay the few dollars to try them out. I always prefer my boxes to be in Seattle, which is seldom a location choice for low-end hosts, which is why I'm willing to try new providers especially if they offer Seattle as a location choice.

Unfortunately, it's a risk; I tried Virtovo in Vancouver, and no fault of theirs, it didn't work out. The service, while working, was not the most reliable. Sometimes, though, things don't work out for customers even with well-reviewed hosts.

• lazytlazyt Member

One thing I never see mentioned on this forum is the DC's part in a lot of these messes. Someone who leases a node across the country or halfway around the world is as much at the DC's mercy as you are at theirs.

People scream for hourly updates, but if the DC isn't telling the VPS operator anything then they don't really have any thing they can tell you.

• eddynetwebeddynetweb Member
    edited July 2014

@sleddog said:
    Why does every sig you make have a typo?

He's a n00b hacker; he needs to spell things wrong to make them misleading.

Thanked by 10xdragon
  • eddynetweb said: He's a n00b hacker; he needs to spell things wrong to make them misleading.

But it's fixed now... well almost, only one mistake left :)

• @sleddog said:
    But it's fixed now... well almost, only one mistake left :)

Yup, noticed it. Heh.

• DylanDylan Member

@Nekki said:
    I can't think of anything that made Ramnode and Iniz (then StormVZ) stand out when they first started out.

Didn't StormVZ have a pretty shaky start? I distinctly remember some poor initial reviews and some questionable practices (e.g. fake Twitter followers).

I think RamNode did stand out, though, because Nick already had a relatively established and reputable Minecraft host (MinecraftLayer) that was still in operation. You weren't going in completely blind like with most new hosts.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

Dylan said: Didn't StormVZ have a pretty shaky start? I distinctly remember some poor initial reviews and some questionable practices (e.g. fake Twitter followers).

I remember the fake twitter followers came up after they'd been around for a little while; Patrick does seem to attract bad reviews because he's fairly bullshit adverse, so gets more than his share of butthurt complaints posted on LET. I was once of StormVZ's first customers and the only issues I ever had were in relation to the DDoS attacks on their UK location, although it's possible I didn't page much notice to the reviews that came afterwards as I was happy with the service.

@Dylan said:
    I think RamNode did stand out, though, because Nick already had a relatively established and reputable Minecraft host (MinecraftLayer) that was still in operation. You weren't going in completely blind like with most new hosts.

In that case, that does kind of void Ramnode as an example in this discussion, as they were coming from an already trusted brand - I wasn't actually aware of Nick's background prior to Ramnode.

• said: MrKingHosting @casper253 - A month ago, couldn't login to account and server went down. Turns out my account got removed somehow and after PMing back and forth with owner, still hasn't been resolved.

Wow, you're telling me the guy who can't be bothered host his packages and his ToS on the same website isn't reliable?.

OP you saved very little money, $1-2 over a reputable host, and got yourself a load of hassle moving from provider to provider. The inconsequential amounts of money you save aren't worth the headache.

• ricardoricardo Member
    edited July 2014

AThomasHowe said: OP you saved very little money, $1-2 over a reputable host, and got yourself a load of hassle moving from provider to provider. The inconsequential amounts of money you save aren't worth the headache.

I'm sure they're quite aware of this, their money and time has also made the rest of us aware after their experience and this thread. Obviously the money is consequential (particularly if you are running a lot of nodes), or the notion of "low end" would be pointless.

It's a little paradoxical around here as we can say "these 10 hosts are reliable and vouched for by the community"... then re-open LET in 3 months time to see whether that's any different.

• @eric1212 said:
    Thanks for the PM's bringing this thread to my attention.

We've replied to your tickets at least once if you're on an affected node (down to only one node in San Jose) but asking for an update every 2 hours will not help. We will provide an update once something is available.

At this time it's out of my control but as the customer service manager, I'm doing what I can to follow up with the tech team. Sorry for inconvenience.

@eric1212 My ticket is still unreplied to

@AThomasHowe said:
    OP you saved very little money, $1-2 over a reputable host, and got yourself a load of hassle moving from provider to provider. The inconsequential amounts of money you save aren't worth the headache.

@AThomasHowe Yep, that's the obvious solution but these issues should still be made aware. Not everyone has the acumen to predict which hosts will be reliable from the start. Hosts should be held accountable for their services, especially when money is exchanged.

• alexhalexh Member

WellGrounded said: @AThomasHowe Yep, that's the obvious solution but these issues should still be made aware. Not everyone has the acumen to predict which hosts will be reliable from the start. Hosts should be held accountable for their services, especially when money is exchanged.

You make a sound point. As I previously mentioned, reviews are an essential part of selecting an established host. Thanks for taking the time to share your experiences.

On the same note, as a customer, I always take reviews with a grain of salt. Outside of this specific thread, I've seen many reviews written by upset customers; While no company should upset customers, extremes are created seemingly as a result of emotion. There are also reviews by people who attempt to call out technical issues, but simply don't have the knowledge to fully understand the situation at hand. One example of this is uptime, which remains difficult to monitor effectively and accurately.

There are many reliable services available nowadays, some even cheaper than the unreliable low-end hosts that seem to exist. It just takes some searching, and even trial-and-error.

• alexhalexh Member

sleddog said: I like to see new providers given a fair shake, and not dismissed out of hand solely on the basis that they're new. I'm a small business operator myself and I know how tough it is to start.

I apologize for misinterpreting the intentions of your posts; I can't say I disagree, and looking back, I've given many, many providers chances.

• SharkSpace Sept. 2009
    • BuyVM Sept. 2010
    • RAM Host Sept. 2010
    • Virpus Sept. 2010
    • Hostigation Feb. 2012
    • Bitcable Mar. 2012
    • Secure Dragon Apr. 2012
    • BurstNet Aug. 2012
    • RamNode Aug. 2012

This is likely only a third of the providers I've tried; It's funny thinking back. This really is an addiction.

• These are ones that mostly just disappeared or emailed in advance they're going to disappear.

• 2host.com
    • hardcloud.net
    • hostfly.in
    • kvm.sh
    • lowend.co
    • massnodes.com
    • mcmyhost.net
    • pinenook.com
    • shockbyte.com
    • tacticalvps.net
    • universev.com
    • virtual6.net
  • @ricardo Thanks for the list!

Also AsuraHosting seems to have disappeared recently. I believe they also posted an offer on this forum.

• FlorisFloris Member

@ironhide said:
    You simply can't go wrong with any of them. Stick with the good and reputed hosts and you won't have to regret anymore.

Here, this is why we have so much deadpools these days, people have great idea's, great hardware, great service and almost no-one is willing to try them, it really is a shame.

• FlorisFloris Member
    edited July 2014

@ricardo said:
    These are ones that mostly just disappeared or emailed in advance they're going to disappear.

You forgot BeastVM.com